1siktkt

Looking for a 1st dual sport

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/4952993262.html

1siktkt - I know the owner of this XR650L. He takes incredible care of all of his bikes. :smile_anim: This one is super well maintained and clean. :coolio: Set-up for a taller rider. Check it out! PM me and I can send you his contact information.

Info4Less

Thanks for the leads on bikes, some things have come up in our finances and I'm not going to be able to pull the trigger on a bike for a bit but I'm still going to look for that smoking deal. So I'll keep looking and putting money aside when I can. Thanks guys!

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/5005416172.html

Any opinions on this Yamaha XT600 or the Yamaha platform in general?

My two cents, and it's probably not worth that...

My XT had a pretty good motor; torque and no problem on the highway... suspension was mediocre, and brakes were so-so... but the frame on the thing was a limp noodle... maybe it was just the one I had, and maybe it was something else not related to the chassis, but that thing was crazy around a bumpy corner

I agree with the XR650 for a first dual sport bike though the 2007 KTM 525 is also nice (I ride orange). The XR650 is a tank and parts are easy to get. Than you can start saving to buy a KTM 500 EXC. :smile_anim:

Boys and girls, bike freaks of all denominations!! I did it,finally pulled the trigger got a '13 XR650L bone stock with 9500MI on it. I just got tired of looking at CL and with the season on the horizon I got me a dirt scooter.

So now top 3/4 mods.

Pipe, full header or just the can?

Air cleaner

Reset

Smog delete

Agree, disagree like what ya'll think

Just the can, uncorked and bigger tank for now. Maybe later have George at Suspension 101 fix the crappy ride to your weight.

Number one- Daves mods; rejet right off the bat.

Bigger tank is nice...buy another CDI and place in your back-pack

Gear for your riding style...trails or desert.

Then you're good to go

The XR650L is heavy; no way around that...but it is well-balanced, torquey powerplant. The biggest frustration I had with mine was the gear ratios...gap between first and second. Other than that it was good. It does everything...don't get all caught up in every little farkle you find on XRsonly... YOU may not need an oil cooler and temp gauge. YOU may not need an exhaust can that wakes the neighbors. YOU may not need panniers for your epic camping adventures you never go on. But...you DO need a bigger tank and the carb mods. Really consider what you need before you start dropping cash. Oh...and that tailight...my GAWD that thing is hideous!

Thanks Bikeslut

Yeah I know that light is one of the things on the list.

I will look up Dave'so mods and PM you with any questions if you don't mind.

Sure...Dave's mods is basically drilling the slide for faster response, shimming the needle, and bigger jet to improve the factory lean condition (if I remember correctly)

So here's a little update

I went on an ordering bender yesterday after doing a little more looking around at stuff. Went with the basics, I had already ordered the smog delete kit from XRs only, and I ended up ordering an FMF Powercore S4 pipe, Clarke 4.7 gal tank, and an UNI air filter (because Amazon wouldn't ship me a K&N) I figured i'd try em out.

I also ordered a low profile tail light from XRs Only but IDK if it is going to be what I end up installing, I'm still looking so if anyone has a tail light/plate combo that works well let me know.

Also I would like to put a small rack on the back that I could mount a pelican case to, so I can use it for commuting, and then take it off when going to the Dez. Any input on where to get something like this?

Go to nomadic racks in santee. Justin will get you figured out with something you need

Another easy mod is to change the large lead acid battery to a smaller gel or lithium one. This is an easy way to shave pounds up high on the bike and it lessons the stress on the frame bracket that holds the battery and electronics. I went with a smaller battery and modified the battery bracket (holder) to a piece of aluminum. I know carry a spare pre oiled air filter in the extra space.

I ride the same bike. I would recomend new bars or risers, and some bigger pegs. Makes a world of difference. Enjoy the new ride.