EddieEarl

Best Big Tank for '13 KTM 500EXC?

Function before form...clear tanks are awesome. yes...they are ugly, and only get worse over time. but...you always know your gas status

If I need to look at the tank to track my fuel use, I have another problem. ; )

I agree with everything that Paul says but a clear tank is a no-brainer

I have the acerbic 3.1. I did not want to change the feel much and usually only need about 100 mile range or so. The radiator guards still fit also.

Ah man - this is killing me. My whole life I've ridden 10+ yr old dirt bikes and been just fine. Coulda really cared less for what matched, or didn't, or how everything looked. I sold a beat up plated 2002 CRF450R to "SPLURGE" and buy a plated 2013 KTM 500EXC. The idea of spending anything over $5K on a dirt bike was foreign. But, here I am now, the proud owner of a bike I gotta say is downright sexy. It's like the ugly kid in high school who scores a drop dead gorgeous hotty in college. How's he not supposed to care she's sexy?

How can i put an UGLY tank on my SEXY beast? I feel so guilty for caring about how a dirtbike looks, but I just have to be honest, right?

Does anybody know of a dirtbike counselor I could talk to? I'm conflicted. I need therapy.

This ... to this:

post-15780-0-53113900-1425266897_thumb.j

post-15780-0-34545700-1425266916.jpg

Dedication to good design and aesthetics is an admirable trait.

Chicks dig good taste- snared myself a helluva wife that way. She saw my house before we even met and was entranced.

Of course, she assumed I was homosexual, but it was her lucky day!

How can i put an UGLY tank on my SEXY beast? I feel so guilty for caring about how a dirtbike looks, but I just have to be honest, right?

You can take plenty of stops to appreciate its beauty while you're pushing it back to camp. :heh:

You can take plenty of stops to appreciate its beauty while you're pushing it back to camp. :heh:

LOL! Good one. I've already admired her with a flat while waiting to get picked up, and i've had to ditch her out in Ocotillo b/c I ran out of gas. She's fun to admire, but much more fun to ride.

I'm leaning toward the black 4.1 gallon tank. If i run out of fuel after riding a dirt bike for 200 miles ... yeah, that one's on me.

Have we discussed the additional Fuel Filter ?

Ummm ... yes? no? i think? maybe not?

I'm sorry.

You've used all your question credits.

Please try again at another time.

I'm sorry.

You've used all your question credits.

Please try again at another time.

Nice ... actually made me laugh out loud. But, my type A genetics make me say, "Answer my questions anyway, damnit!" :lmaosmiley:

OK, I'll exceed this one time ; )

Some people are adding a filter just after the fuel quick-disconnect. Popular is the Golan Mini http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/golan/index.htmbut many other point out the in-tank filter has already done it's job and a second is redundant, except for any foriegn material that might be collected when the QD is disconnected.

There is some controversy about the overall effectiveness of the Golan in general.

Just playin ... talked to 'The Enduro Shop'. The 4.1 Acerbis comes with "all necessary mounting hardware."

I decided on Black. Can't stomach the yellowish natural. Looks horrible.

Black looks bad ass ... and I've heard once you go black you never go back.

Anyway, if i run out of fuel after riding 200+ miles on a dirtbike, I deserve to have to push it back to camp, or hitch hike.

By the way ... these retail for $275.

Ebay has them for $215.

Amazon has them for $198.

OK, I'll exceed this one time ; )

Some people are adding a filter just after the fuel quick-disconnect. Popular is the Golan Mini http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/golan/index.htmbut many other point out the in-tank filter has already done it's job and a second is redundant, except for any foriegn material that might be collected when the QD is disconnected.

There is some controversy about the overall effectiveness of the Golan in general.

Noted. Fuel filter redundancy is typically NEVER a bad thing. I'll check it into. Thx for brining it it up.

Well..it does introduce several new points of possible failure- there's much to argue about keeping it simple, especially when considering the questionable contribution that second filter makes.

I got my Acerbis tank at Just Gas Tanks in Oceanside. They gave me a discount because I went over there and picked it up. Can't remeber the price but I do recall it was better than any I found on line.

OMG...are we still talking about this?!?! eddie- I paged bowers for one reason, and it wasn't his charm or wit...he knows what's best for that bike. Just listen to him and call it a day...seriously. I can't even believe I'm typing that out loud

Bikeslut ... tank ordered already. Black. $198 on amazon. Retails for $275. Now looking into secondary fuel filter per PMB note. Thx for paging him.

OMG...are we still talking about this?!?! eddie- I paged bowers for one reason, and it wasn't his charm or wit...he knows what's best for that bike. Just listen to him and call it a day...seriously. I can't even believe I'm typing that out loud

My fault.

I enticed him in to my geek-out.

Just kidding...that's the only color bowers recognizes

White's ok too...

13129371065_451989fa67_b.jpg

Bull- you only left it white because it was unworldly expensive to make all black... what's your favorite Spinal Tap album?