Riggerdan

BAJA - What does it mean to you?

Riding in Baja is not for everyone...

We're extremely lucky to have the varied terrain right here in our backyard whether it be the desert or mountains or the numerous ohv places we have access to, without much concern of international laws, currency exchange, language dialects and potential interaction with dangerous drug cartels etc...

Baja "for me" is a state of mind

The freedom to ride your ride (or walk your walk) and the forced self reliant environment you find yourself in.

Interaction with kind and sincere local culture, absorbing the beauty within.

OK and the cold beers, tacos, beach riding, camping and endless amazing trails as well..... :thumbsup_anim:

It was just a few years ago I found myself walking the streets of NYC, starting everyday in some kind of elevator shaft, then commuting in underground mass transit tunnels from point a to b with all walks of life..

Baja was just a peninsula on the other side of the continent that meant absolutely nothing to me, and played no role in my recreational decision process.

10 years ago I rolled into Jamul, California from 56th street & 9th ave.

I can say it's been one of my greatest discoveries, once I realized the magnitude and beauty of the Baja Peninsula

At the risk of being to long winded, I feel slightly envious of the people who grew up with it and respect the ones who share their knowledge and experiences they've had over the years.

(SDAR) would love to hear more about what you've seen and done down there - the GOOD and the bad.

I traveled enough of this planet to know there is good and bad wherever you go, it's what you make of it and how it has impacted your life..

I have a long way to go but as long as I can, I will continue to gravitate south into Baja to explore and seek out adventures some people can only dream of...

What does Baja mean to you?

post-14554-0-03213500-1419347339_thumb.jWell said, my brother.

Baja truly gets into your bloodstream.

There is so much to be discovered. New trails, towns, food, people. None of my many visits have been the same.

In August I had the pleasure of leading a small group of riders to some favorite old haunts of mine, mainly along the Pacific (http://ineverfinishanyth.blogspot.com/2014/08/baja-ride-august-23-24-2014.html). One of MY favorite parts of that ride was seeing the excitement in their eyes. They'd HEARD of Baja, they'd always meant to see it but now they were LIVING it.

Oh, man, there's nothing like it.

The Mexican people make Baja what it is. I am not talking about the fringe elements but the solid core of good people. Everywhere. Good stuff.

Northern BC mountainous rocky single track, miles of free looping single track, all within an hour or 2 of San Diego. Some looks like hi dez some looks like upstate NY, all is fantastic.(and yes I have done the dirt road destination stuff too, but its not that appealing to me.

ctjimg_6110_zps97fbbaca.jpg

Then there is southern tropical fishing. barefoot boat rental multi day fishing trip. This is Lower California at its best (for me).

About an hour or 2 northeast of La Paz, a few minutes away from the first dorado of the first day of the trip on a shimano butterfly jig. heaven.

IMG_3583.jpg

A Mystery, A land to find yourself away from the bounds of the "normal" world.

Baja is my stomping ground. I've been going there since the early '50s when I was 13 soon after I'd come to Norh County in '53 with my family. We'd escaped from Ohio.

Camped there with my folks up until I started racing the Baja Races in '70. I've been going there once or twice a year since then.

....but I ride the states as well..mostly gorilla camping. After I've seen too many signs that say, "Camp in Designated Areas Only" or "No camp Fire Permitted", then is when I revert to and appreciate baja the most.

This last trip to watch the Baja 1000 race a month ago will give you an idea of what Baja means to me. Wfifan2014bj1000.blogspot.com

Meeting the locals, for sure. These guys were very cool. This was just north of Bahia San Luis Gonzaga.

For me it's that Baja magic you may have heard about. It hit me hard at the end of a four day solo trip a few years ago. What is it? Hard to describe but I think you will know it when it touches you.

post-13357-0-06625300-1419378366_thumb.j

Thanks Dan-

What Baja means to me == Respect as a offroader. When riding Simi,s honk and flash their lites, All the restaurants have off road stickers and tee shirts and they don,t take them down. You wave ,everyone waves back . The Boarder guards stop a line of hundreds of cars and wave you to the front of the line. The locals tell you to go to the front but some time it is hard with hard bags to move up . They keep insisting ! School kids hear bikes coming and they all run to see you pass by.Old ladys ask Baja Mil ? A deaf rancher needs a jump to get his old truck started so he can take your buddys broken bike to Tecate.

All of Ensenada comes out to watch the Baja races . This was only a small portion of the spectators.

059-L.jpg

Also freedom from all the restrictive off road rules we have here in the US.

22_19A-L.jpg

Sunrises and Sunsets

016-L.jpg

P1050066-L.jpg

Great buddies and adventure !

IMG_20130727_210950_780-L.jpg

IMG_20130518_132515_953-L.jpg

IMG_20130518_200528_323-L.jpg

IMG_1081_zps5976803c-L.jpg