Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Merlo

Colorado Single Track

I had the opportunity (thanks to a local buddy in Colorado) to get in five straight days of riding some beautiful territory near Aspen and Crested Butte. This was my first time in Colorado, and other than some riding with Crusty in San Marcos the first time trying any single track. I tried to stand as much as possible, desert style, and learned quickly you have to be ready to sit, sit back, duck, move to the side, dog paddle, and basically be ready for anything! Also learned that hitting roots at anything other than perpendicular will squirt your rear end around pretty quickly. Many of the basic riding fundamentals are the same though, such as look as far ahead as you can see, COMMIT, and don't spend too long thinking about the best line just go!

Here's the itinerary:

Day one: riding local on Basalt Mountain, back to my buddy's for the night

Day two: Ride from Aspen to Crested Butte, stay the night at a hotel

Day three: Crested Butte back to Aspen

Day four: Spend a few hours riding Rifle, Colorado. Desert-like terrain

Day five: an awesome ride near Triangle Peak, just after some rain

Below is a link to day one video, with me messing around with some iMovie production stuff (learning that too...)

This is a video from day five, which is really just some fast two-track and me riding like it's the last day I get to! This is zero production, just a raw five minute ride video

This was a bucket list ride that I'll never forget. There were three of us, and my buddy Dave was an awesome tour guide making the whole thing possible. We had fantastic weather, no injuries, no breakdowns, not even a flat tire amongst the three of us! It's a beautiful place...can't wait to do it again, and hope you all create an opportunity to ride there.

post-15556-0-52160300-1409541696_thumb.j

post-15556-0-01317700-1409541750_thumb.j

post-15556-0-11429700-1409541826_thumb.j

post-15556-0-98352400-1409541881_thumb.j

Score Kevin!!

Thanks for including the screen shots, I don't have patience for the videos.

Cool! Thanks for sharing. :smile_anim: Not much margin for error on that day 1 hillclimb. :crying_anim02: What is the location where the US Flag is posted?

Great stuff, Kevin! Awesome you were able to have that experience!

Kevin,

Thanks for the write up, photos and videos.

Did you happen to go to high school in NY?

No, I'm a lifetime SoCal guy...but I'm meeting a lot more people with my last name. It was unheard of when I was a kid, but there's an Italian element in New York/New Jersey that I seem to cross paths with.

Cool! Thanks for sharing. :smile_anim: Not much margin for error on that day 1 hillclimb. :crying_anim02: What is the location where the US Flag is posted?

It's called American Flag Mountain, or Flag Mountain. It's about 12,350 feet of elevation.

post-15556-0-54658100-1409714414_thumb.j

Score Kevin!!

Thanks for including the screen shots, I don't have patience for the videos.

I don't blame you Bagstr...GoPro doesn't do it any justice anyway.

Sweet Kevin, good to see you rippin the woods... Reminds me of Montucky singletrack!!

What are your thoughts about the MT43 trials tire?

Sweet Kevin, good to see you rippin the woods... Reminds me of Montucky singletrack!!

What are your thoughts about the MT43 trials tire?

That it's almost cheating...it's that good. It's not fantastic in mud, but I think it's so good everywhere else that it makes you think it's worse than it really is when it gets muddy. So far it served me well on the Big Bear Trail ride, Moab, and this week in Colorado. Without a doubt it was the right tire choice. We need to ride again buddy!

It's called American Flag Mountain, or Flag Mountain. It's about 12,350 feet of elevation.

Thanks KM...12K' is up there! :coolio:

No, I'm a lifetime SoCal guy...but I'm meeting a lot more people with my last name. It was unheard of when I was a kid, but there's an Italian element in New York/New Jersey that I seem to cross paths with.

I went to school with a couple Merlos. Mike was a friend of mine and his brother was Kevin.

Look forward to meeting you sometime.