Bagstr

Electrical Connector Maintenance

i-RQMD6QH-L.jpg

i-t2RjN2G-L.jpg

i-s2q7ZBF-L.jpg

With All these warm days on our hands, we have time to do those delayed maintenance items. These are KTM key switch connectors before and after using Electrical Grade Contact Cleaner and 2-26 Electrical Lubricant. Few, if any connectors on your shinny moto use waterproof connectors. Which results in corrosion! Pull them apart, clean and lube before they attack on your Life Altering trip to the wilderness.

P.S. Pull them apart One at a Time

Really, it is just the key switch. What could happen?? And Where could it happen? :shiftyeyes_anim:

Mr. Bagstr,

Did you have any dielectric grease or other type of lube on those connectors prior to servicing them this time?

I've used dielectric grease in the past, but it attracted lots of dust and sand. Ended up blasting it all off with contact cleaner and running the connectors dry.

I would guess the 2-26 is not as much of a dirt magnet as the grease?

Wadaya think 'bout WD-40 as a dielectric lube?

Like my chain, I feel dry is best when used in the sand and grit.

So no, dialectic grease in before pictures. Any lube will attract dust etc. put it looks so "electrical" when applied.

I am in the process of converting my Garmin Power to the Key Switch 6 pin connector per PbdBlue design. Thanks again for your work there Mr. Blue.

WD-40?? Oil is an insulator last time I checked, i.e. electrical high voltage transformers where it is used to transfer heat. WD-40 above all is a cleaner per design, right?

Mr. Bagstr, I like the sound of that. With the gray, comes respect! :smile_anim:

I also question the dielectric grease of which so many are fond. I don't understand "dielectric" (insulator) when we want to encourage electrical connections. I get the idea of waterproofing and corrosion resistance, but I found the gunk creeps up under the insulation of the wires and appeared to make the plastic connectors brittle.

Hey, I'm certainly no expert, and I share El Señor Bagster's appreciation for the "electrical" appearance when it's fresh, clean and greased.

The dielectric grease or just about any lubricant / oil is an insulator. The way it works, is that the connectors "wipe" away the grease, lube, etc. and make a good connection. The grease then just kinda hangs around the outside of the electrical connection protecting it from water, also attracting lots of dirt, and making a mess.

I think a light oil like 2-26 or wd40 might make less of a mess, not collect so much dirt, and also protect the connectors. Meister Bagstr please report back after using it.

I havn't had any problems with corroded connectors. Maybe because I always use compressed air to dry out all the areas that have connectors, after washing. But I'm for sure gonna check 'em all now.

There is this stuff: Stabilant22. It is supposed to actually improve the conductivity of connectors. Don't know how good it is at protecting against water and corrosion.

I just leave them alone. Never had a problem on any bike Ive ever owned.

Or my autos. Just sayin. :)

Not sure where I stand on this one. Dielectric grease does collect crud but on the other hand it will help with moisture protection which is mostly what Bagstrs connection had. Perhaps just a light layer of DG? WD-40 has petroleum distillates in it. That is probably good as a cleaning agent but perhaps not so good for the plastic parts and insulation. Always amazes me that these bikes don't utilize waterproof connectors. The japanese bikes seem to use a little better connector in that regard. So Senor Bagstr I assume you were able to obtain the correct connector for the mod?

That connector was cruddy! The contact cleaner looks to have done its job. Thanks for the before and after pics.

Yep, Willy's Chula

Here is the set-up ready for the Garmin power cord. Note jumper plug.

Next week I plan on re-installing the Lithium Battery and removing the fused Garmin power tap.

i-s4FgtJH-L.jpg

Yep, Willy's Chula

Here is the set-up ready for the Garmin power cord. Note jumper plug.

Next week I plan on re-installing the Lithium Battery and removing the fused Garmin power tap.

i-s4FgtJH-L.jpg

Cool. Just an FYI those extra wires\contacts are easily removed if you want. Use a small screwdriver and press back the latching tab on the pin and they will slide right out. If you look at the pin facing you it is down at the base.

Yeah, I will clean that up when I do the battery. Additionally, a low amp fast acting fuse needs to be installed before the power supplies the Garmin device. .5-1 amp? I will measure the 60csx draw.

PbdBlue, do you have a handle on the other pin functions? A phone/camera charging lead is nice to have while travelling. The brown common plus another fused source. 4 and 5 measure 12+ vdc.

Thx

Pin 3 is constant +12 volts regardless of the keyswitch position and is fused by F3 (10A). Do not use pins 4 or 5. They are outputs from the ecu and voltage regulator.

To summarize:

Connector X61

Pin 1 - N\C

Pin 2 - Ground (Brown)

Pin 3 - +12 Volts constant (protected by F3 in the fuse box) (White\Orange)

Pin 4 - Power Relay Control (White\Black)

Pin 5 - Light Relay Control (White\Pink)

Pin 6 - +12 Volts switched by keyswitch (protected by F3 in the fuse box) (Red)

Bagstr

Thanks for bringing this up!

I pulled apart the same connectors you show in your pics, on my bike last night. I had a lot of corrosion in there. Much worse than yours. It was so bad that one of the female terminals actually broke and fell out of the housing. It was coroded through. It is the one with the orange-white wire. It is just a "dead end" not connected to anything on the mating connector. Good thing. I'll probably replace it anyway. I see from the post above that it is pin 3 +12 volts. Not used on this bike.

I saw that you purchased connectors and terminals at Willy's Electronics in Chula Vista. Did they have a good selection of this type of terminals / connectors?

They also have a store in Kearney Mesa. Was there any special reason (parts availability ?) you went to the Chula Vista location.

I'll go through all those unsealed connectors based on what I saw with this one.

Amgems

Kearny was out of stock last week. Keary has more inventory and many more styles of connectors. I have not bought the proper crimp tool for these small pins, so I just use my larger format equipment.

Bagstr = sport touring bagger