Sign in to follow this  
BillP

Sunday July 6 - Otay to InKoPah

Met up with Kato and 350Thumper for a great day of riding. 350Thumper showed up looking like he had just ridden 50 miles off road and indeed he had just ridden offroad from Jacumba to meet us to ride back to Jacumba. We rode over Otay, hit 94 to Tecate. At the twisties before Tecate, a street bike slammed into the guard rail right in front of 350Thumper. Rider lost a little skin but was OK. The guard rail snapped his front forks.

Next border and associated roads to Jacumba. I just read Kato's last post that Bill knows the area - yeah right. We had a great time exploring the North side of the freeway. We were looking for Stagecoach road and after a couple hours riding I was pretty sure the first loop we did was Stagecoach and looking at our tracks, that was right. I expected to see water troughs from the spring but didn't. We were treated to a view of 20-30 Bighorn Sheep which probably had us looking away from spring. I hope Kato's picture shows them. We were relatively close but they really blend in with the mountain.

Hot and tired, I slabbed it back home. The youngsters decided to ride the border back.

Kato & 350Thumper - PM your email if you want the tracks.

post-14938-0-78048500-1404708760_thumb.j

That is some Hot Riding this time of year. Not to mention rugged trails!

f0ae0j.jpg

Darren you're wild and Bill you're tough!!

Good riding out in jacumba, still lots to explore we gotta go back. wouldn't recommend going alone though, it's rocky and felt pretty wild, we didn't see one single soul/vehicle the whole time.

The pic above is taken somewhere by the top of StageCoach. you can see the 8 freeway coming down on the right and splitting in InKoPah to the middle of the pic. Painted Gorge in the distance, TableTop somewhere close behind us.

About the Longhorn sheeps. They were pretty close and it's amazing how well the blend in real life when not moving (staring at us). they're almost exactly in the middle of these pics, over 20 of them!! virtually invisible on camera phone.

17z2mo.jpg

digital zoom, still invisible:

2ymho4g.jpg

I can see the bighorn sheep in both photos, but I'm a veteran at it.

We rode with Darren (Thumper 350) on Saturday also. Guy loves to ride and gets around good on that old 350 Yamaha.

He saved my butt and made me do the walk of shame when I got stuck at the bottom of a long, steep, silt covered, cactus lined, wash that humbled me.

Thanks Darren.

Hey kato and bill.you guys rock!

I had a blast on this trip.. took awhile to heal just from being saddle sore.

It was scary when that guy grabbed his binders in the corner and hit the gaurd rail..good thing we were there.

Oh and wr saved that guys life by giving him water...

good thing we were riding that day

Hope the BLM sees how we dualsport guys can be helpful out there...

On the way home I found a noob riding otay and he was stranded till we diagnosed his bike.

he had a loose battery connection .

all in all informative ride.

Bill has a good eye for the terrain and kato has endurance skills and makes a good leader by looking out for the whole group.

Hey ken your bike has so much power I culdnt evn control it...