Sign in to follow this  
PastaPilot

Bend, OR July 14 to 20

I'm going to be travelling to Bend, OR for a week long trip of riding and camping. I'm hoping to spend at least 4 days in and around Bend during that week.

I'm thinking of making a few stops along the way to ride in Northern CA and Southern OR.

Does anyone have experience in any of the riding areas along the way? Perhaps you know someone in the Bend area?

I'll be looking for camping spots around Bend too. Suggestions? I like places with showers, or clean water and privacy for my solar showers.

Also would anyone want to carpool for a week riding?

I rode up there twice in the past couple of years. Stayed at my cousin's place.

I hustled via asphalt from here up to Weed on the I-5 then took the super nice Highway 97 to Bend (and further north). The 97 is forest before you get into the high desert near Madras and Bend. Truly beautiful country.

I don't know about available camping.

Think the folks from GIANT LOOP are in Bend.

They are good people who offered up a place for me to stay if I get near there.

They would be a great go-to on the local riding.

Check with atomic-moto.com, also in Bend and active local ride supporters.

I here that their is a great mtn biking spot in that area. Check it out for me.!!!!

I here that their is a great mtn biking spot in that area. Check it out for me.!!!!

+1 on AtomicMoto. If you get lost heading West, Procycle is in Springfield / Eugene and have been great to deal with.

I'm going to be travelling to Bend, OR for a week long trip of riding and camping. I'm hoping to spend at least 4 days in and around Bend during that week.

I'm thinking of making a few stops along the way to ride in Northern CA and Southern OR.

Does anyone have experience in any of the riding areas along the way? Perhaps you know someone in the Bend area?

I'll be looking for camping spots around Bend too. Suggestions? I like places with showers, or clean water and privacy for my solar showers.

Also would anyone want to carpool for a week riding?

My undergrad degree is from Oregon State.......spent a lot of time in Bend.....love that area.....

Mtns west/desert east.......and great skiing at Mt Bachelor w/in ~30 minutes........

Check out the Deshutes Brewery while you're there.....

Contact Harold and he'll set you up with local trails: http://giantloopmoto.com/contact/

Thanks Chris. Deshutes Brewery is one of my favs. I'll try Harold at Atomic-Moto. I did get a responsee from Giant Loop with a campground in Bend but I don't think he read my email as I stated I would be riding a dirtbike and I got a short list of recommendations for places of interest, roads, and scenic passes all over Central Oregon.

PastaPilot,

As noted on another thread, I stopped by Giant Loop and had a conversation with Dustin 458-two O six-9113 on the subject of local riding. I let him know Jon from SDAR would be stopping by looking for riding advice. We chatted about his Yamaha poster and how you are a good single track guy, not an Adventure rider. I acknowledged that he can't give away his secret secret stuff for fear of have 30 riders show up to trash the area. Anyway, I tilled the soil a bit for you, Dustin does not ride up in the Cascades Forest Service roads. The local area is flat and Rocky, being volcanic. Sometimes they truck over to the Ochoco NF. Evidently, Dustin prefers the local OHV area for his technical fix. He has a poster of the OHV on his wall. Sorry, I didn't get the name.

Beware that Bend is no longer a quite village. More like Carmel Mountain with a four lane Highway running down the middle. Many traffic lights, no left turn here, corporation there. It is easy to bust outta town, but the town is a mess. Probably ruined by all the California Transplants.

Good Luck, Dave :shiftyeyes_anim:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/centraloregon/recreation/ohv/?recid=38280&actid=93

Jon, I strongly recommend you check into Forest Fire Danger restrictions, as I saw numerous Forest Closure notices at trail entry points along the highway. The restrictions may be for logging but I would hate to see you disappointed after the drive north.

Thanks for the bit of info and working the earth for me with a local resource. I'll have to stop in as well on Tuesday afternoon when I get there.

From my research there aren't any closures in the OHV areas (Of which there are at least 5 within 50 miles of town). I'll check again before I go but this trip goes on anyway.