Sign in to follow this  
Goofy Footer

July 12th Gorma OHV Park - Get Extreme Endurance Race

Here is the flier for Erek Kudla's next race. It is apart of his Get Extreme race series. I believe a few SDAR guys have raced in the series?

The race can be done as a team or solo Ironman. Two 4hr races, one during the day and one at night!

It's at Gorman so there will be elevation, here is what Erek said about the course on Thumpertalk, "we will be starting at the track, going out quail pass, up freeman wash, steer bones, badlands to the power line rd. To cow trail, pronghorn and back to the (motocross) track." I have never been to Gorman, can anybody clue me in as to what those trails are like?

2014_RND3_sm-662x1024.jpg

post-14322-0-44747800-1403579363_thumb.j

nothing really technical but definitely never a walk in the park. you can expect a well run event, safe and fun+ challenging. The main Gorman park is filled with well traveled quad wide trails over rolling hills with some single track stuff and a few steep climbs and descents but nothing too wild. I and we have done a 2 day qualifier and a 1 day qualifier enduro there, both part of Ereks and family / VCMC . Western checkpoint enduro series. ask away to spaugh as well he did the last 1 day qualifier there as well.

Goofy,,, Gorman needs to be on your bucket list. Especially if they open the forest back up. I'll gladly give a tour if, and when, it happens.

what Jon said.Dont see them using (getting permits/personel support) for the mountain section especially for an event like this. As stated it be in the standard park zone.

robertaccio, thanks for those links.

tlking, I'm up for a Gorman trip sometime in winter!

I found a video of last year's day event. PastaPilot you were right about what type of trails are being used for the race - no single track nor technical sections but the course does run the motocross track. 9 mile loops for 4 hours means the pros will be lapping mortals for sure.

I'm actually contemplating it somewhat. I'd be a challenge but could be fun. I'm currently looking at lighting setups and I think the night portion could be cool.

Xtreeemly hot this time of year...

It is an "Xtreme" GXE event lol.

For a personal ride, this event aside because it looks epic,,, the drive isnt really worth it unless of course the forest is open. I grew up riding up there and most of the people that go there dont realize the LPNF is right there. Trailheads are fairly tricky to find and they have guards up to keep the quads out. The canyons below are littered with Quad parts from those that went around the barriers.

gormanminetrial.jpg

tejon2.jpg

If they have the "mountain" sections open for a race by all mean go for it, the 2012 WestChec 2 day qualifier had the forest section transfer to the special test. This is what made the entire event. Here is Harrys H cam from the forest special test.

Or as stated above a fun trail ride that takes you into that area would be epic as well (I never had time to stop and smell the roses!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0HfvL_Z3sw

For some reason I keep coming back to this event. More and more I am thinking that I might just throw my name in the entry list and see if I can survive it! I've never participated in a moto race/event and have no clue what I'm doing.

What do you guys bring on race day?

-- Water, water, water, pop-up tent, food, chair?

It's a day And night race, so lights for my camp area?

I'd bring tools and lock them in my pickup.

Extra gas for sure.

Spare air filter.

How often would you pit in a 4 hour event?

What if you have no pit crew? F-it, gas up on your own, replenish the camelback and keep motoing?

Carry emergency contact / medical info on my body while I ride?

Any advice? I'm more interested in the night portion if I go. 4hrs of moto would kick my currently very out of shape butt. I don't know if I could survive the 4 hours during the day too. Is anybody else thinking of going to this? Survival would be my goal.

dont over think it just a normal trail ride, pack the usual, but dont over do it you can loop back to the pit area, bullet proof your machine get it all fresh and go have fun have energy stuff, eat light but keep fueling, keep electrolytes up its an endurance ride keep you and the bike fueled. dont get too excited ride it and have fun. Dont over think it just do it like any weekend ride, remember its long dont get caught up in first lap racers just keep pace and find a groove speed. the idea is to finish, if you finish you can bank on beating loads of riders.

coming up this weekend!! report soon. go have fun with it, dont over think it--just do it!! be safe and have fun, when you finish you will be super stoked and have great bench racing stories.

go support the Kudla Racing crew (VCMC crew)- send regards to the boss (Erek) they are the best (IMHO) race promoters in the SoCal region.