Our plan was to get on the road at 4:30 am to get thru Riverside before the traffic started, Ken and Tracy came over the night before and we loaded up the bikes.

IMG_1769_zps1c90913c.jpg

We had to make a stop in Winslow just to stand on the corner.

IMG_1785_zps07cb82c8.jpg

IMG_1788_zps0592f022.jpg

or just in the middle of the road.

IMG_1789_zpsb14a3933.jpg

When we made it to Gallup we had to make a stop at the Fu King smoke shop.

IMG_1793_zpsc24770ef.jpg

After a great dinner and a few beers (and one drunken local guy wandering into our hotel room) we got an early start (by my standards anyway) from the Gallup airport.

P1040335_zpsde4d1139.jpg

Great start to our ride thru some really nice forest roads and perfect temperatures.

P1040355_zpsab9359da.jpg

We made a lot of fun little side trips on the ride. Some were worth it others not so much.

P1040357_zps5be6a757.jpg

Not long after the Ice Caves the topography started to change.

P1040365_zps61234fe8.jpg

By this time it was damn hot and Trail Boss Ken almost had a mutiny on his hand. Here is is telling us to man up and explaining how he rode thru here in the middle of August on his BMW 800 with no water and he got 9 flats and had to carry his bike for 30 miles (those Ice caves were looking pretty good to me about now).

P1040411_zps83d060fb.jpg

Tracy and I pulled up our big boy pants and motored on....

P1040432_zps9455969a.jpg

and on....

P1040505_zps1b3d53cc.jpg

After a long hot ride we came to Grants New Mexico where I had to have Tracy buy a couple of Lime-a-Rita's for me because they wouldn't sell to me because I didn't have my ID on me. Made a nice camp and fire and settled down to tell a few lies. A good end to the day.

CiD

The next morning I woke to a flat front tire. Being the lazy guy that I am I just pumped it up and went riding.

The CDT runs thru some very beautiful country. There were a few guys on bicycles doing the CDT, one group said they'd been riding for 6 weeks/ When I asked if they were having fun the guy said no! On the other side of the mountain going downhill I'm sure he would have said yes.

P1040517_zps6cf93a6c.jpg

Must be about a million miles of lightly traveled dirt roads in New Mexico and Colorado.

P1040530_zps2269cc08.jpg

Made it to lunch at El Farolito in El Rito. This place is sort of famous for it's food, it's been written up in Sunset magazine and gets rave reviews on trip advisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g47020-d549095-Reviews-El_Farolito-El_Rito_New_Mexico.html. I think we must have caught them on an off day.

IMG_1808_zpse6d92526.jpg

After lunch Ken and I both noticed we had flats. Still being lazy I pumped them both up and we took off down the road. We made it about a 1/4 mile and both tires were flat again. Scouted around for a shady spot to get to work on the tires and both of us made quick work of the repairs.

IMG_1814_zps99d00ef5.jpg

IMG_1815_zps02bd3c18.jpg

Once back on the road we had miles and miles of great riding and beautiful country.

P1040634_zps89ca2bbb.jpg

P1040647_zps0bb2613e.jpg

P1040675_zpsd27ba7af.jpg

We were making our way on a steep winding road and I just happened to look over the edge and saw this old logging truck crashed in the trees about 40 feet below the road. Must have been quite a ride for the driver. Truck looks like it's from the early 40's

P1040678_zps56207760.jpg

Trail Boss Ken lead us to another nice camp over looking a lake. I tried to suggest a few places to camp on the way, but Boss Ken in his dry sarcastic way said I could pick a camp the next day (he said the same thing everyday).

P1040622_zps759b7cd4.jpg

CiD

Thanks for the back story, some of us are starved for imagined riding. Not to criticize, are you following Ken's line? You hit the Same roofing nail that bounced out off the pickup that repaired the roof of the barn you visited.

You both used your spare tube on the first day. Were you planning on patching the next?

Never doubt Ward. He will get you to the Oregon Territory.

I carry 2 tubes a front and a rear. The front flat was a pinch by the look of it. I kept it and would of patched it if needed. I did patch it when I got home and am carrying it as a spare now. I'll post up day 3 on the trail tomorrow if I get a chance.

CiD

IMG_1144_zpsc7d529e2.jpg

Chris, This photo seems to show a larger pack-pack. Are you using a larger pack, if so how did it work our for U? I ;) the duffel; do you remember the size/litres?

Keep on Campin',

Dave

Also, So far this trip could have been ridden on Ken's 800. Could the route have been done on a spacious and relaxing GS?

:rolleyes:

Yes I carried a larger backpack, it was a pain in the butt. It was forcing me to move forward all the time as it would hit the duffel bag. I finally moved the duffel way back on the GL and I had enough room to move around on the bike, I don't think I'll ever use the big backpack again. In the photo I have my jacket in a stuff sack tied to the backpack also. I learn a little more about packing each trip.

CiD

Day 3 and 4 would have been rough on a big bike. I could have done 90% of the ride on my 950se but I really don't enjoy riding dirt much on anything bigger than my 525's.

"Day 3 and 4 would have been rough on a big bike."

DynOmite! We look forward to the premiere.

Dimensions:

• Width: 16" / 41cm (across seat)
  • Height: 6" / 15cm
  • Length: 4" / 10cm (front to back) on top, 8 1/2" / 22cm on bottom.

Capacity:

• 15 1/2" liters

M0603_Enduro_Duffel_Bag_c_1024x1024.jpg?

This is similar to my set-up, using GL Mojavi. The bag design may have grown since I bought mine, it appears larger in your photo.

Dirt Bagz

Its not the highest quality but not bad either. It fits my Husky well and has plenty of room. I was self contained and none of the bags were full. I too carried a large backpack but it was empty for the most part leaving plenty of room for the necessary hydration items needed for a happy camp time!

IMG_1140_zps11795342.jpg

and one more from when we got a little off the trail.

3380952_orig_zpsb286c51d.jpg

Too funny CID!

and one more from when we got a little off the trail.

3380952_orig_zpsb286c51d.jpg

Too funny CID!

I wanted to see if anyone was paying attention.

I really liked the looks of Tracy's top duffel http://www.dbzproducts.com/extras.htm . I think i will order one and try it with my Wolfman E-10's.

I'd put everything heavy down in the E-10's and then lighter stuff up above. I'm always very tight for space with the setup I'm using if I have to be prepared for both hot and very cold conditions. If it's just hot or just cold I'm fine but having to pack for both makes my current setup just a little small at the start of a trip with snacks and food for 5 days on the bike. Ken and Tracy bought food along the way for a couple of nights which I might think about doing on the next ride.

CiD

Tough to maintain perfect alignment throughout the day.

That seems to be the biggest challenge, compounded when you start having to strap your gear on. I try to avoid bungees.

gear_zps323457bf.jpg

For this trip I tried messing around with a collapsible cooler that easily attached to my cross bag. Yeah it worked but turned out to be too much of a hassle messing around with it in the parking lot. Did keep beverages cold though!

Ok back to riding . We are now in CO and trying to work our way to Lake City for the nite. I know of a great camping spot but we got to get their first. We were going to try to go across Elmwood pass but after talking to locals we found out it was closed due to fifty foot snow drifts. So we had to do some slabing. Oh well !

P1050217-L.jpg

IMG_20140607_110040_803-L.jpg

We tried to take a shortcut but were turned back by some mud and snow .( No pictures ). Nice jeep road though till it was blocked .

P1050219-L.jpg

P1050222-L.jpg

P1050221-L.jpg

P1050218-L.jpg

We finally got to Lake City and Chris stocked up on supplies.

IMG_20140607_192238_094-L.jpg

Got to my favorite camping spot --been here three times already.

P1050225-L.jpg

IMG_20140607_203858_128-L.jpg

IMG_20140607_203833_003-L.jpg

View from my tent in the morning.

IMG_20140608_064307_865-L.jpg

That was a cool campground. Perfect spot to begin the next days total epicness!

I think this might be from that Jeep trail,. I don't think any of us got any pictures of the "mud incident"

IMG_1166_zps2a2461d5.jpg

So our fourth day was going to take us to Silverton and beyond. The weather was perfect so we tried going up the other side of the jeep road ( Hart Lake Rd ) that we got turned around on . Made it to Carson ghost town.

IMG_20140608_115502_152-L.jpg

P1050235-L.jpg

IMG_20140608_100514_680-L.jpg

Oh look it is starting to cloud up ????

P1050238-L.jpg

We came down the Mtn, and started to head to Cinnamon Pass --Mmm raining--time to sit it out for a hour.

IMG_20140608_111623_194-L.jpg

Rain delay --more to come !

We start heading up. Getting colder-some sleet. Reminds me why I live in Sol Cal. Epic. We did not know what we were going to run into. All is good but we did not spend any time at the top. Kind of Brezzy--like 45-50 MPH winds !!!

P1050249-L.jpg

P1050240-L.jpg

P1050242-L.jpg

I like this one you can see the horizontal sleet in the pic.

P1050244-L.jpg

My red nose !

IMG_20140608_121227_503-L.jpg

Chris and Tracy were dreaming of Cabo and Costa Rica at this point. They did not stick around very long.

P1050246-L.jpg

So down the hill we went--wanted to get out of the weather and get warmed up..

We passed on the sights-mabey next time . We walked into The Handelbars driping wet. We got the stinkeye from everyone. Screw them. We need food and Facebook !

P1050248-L.jpg

Cinnamon pass was epic! Snow was blowing sideways but it was nice and dry so not really a big deal!

IMG_1178_zpsbf4d8a55.jpgIMG_1181_zpsb4d52e8b.jpg

IMG_1174_zps99854348.jpg

Now this qualifies as "adventure riding". From the desert to the alpine. How did the bikes run @ 12.5K ft.? I am surprised the road is "open"? Seems like a snow plow has been busy.