Honda90

DR350 Suspension Settings

I have a 1994 dirt DR350. I weigh about 215-220 in gear and I ride the bike in rocks and whoops. Could someone guide me (or link me to something) on how I should adjust my hard/soft settings??

Thanks!

springs first... springs done yet? that was my biggest issue with my DR350, and the ONLY reason I "upgraded" to the DRZ400... ADVBum to the white courtesy phone in the lobby

Add compression till it is harsh and back off until acceptable is all you have without springs. Oh and pray.

Your bike came with fork springs for about a 50lb rider. Shock spring is not too far off though.

So a set of fork springs in the proper rate .44 to .48 depending on how hard your getting after it. Quality set about $110 and it will make the bike feel sooooo much better.

I should just have you look at it. I'm wondering of the PO already changed the springs.

My neighbor is talking about selling his DR350, he just had George do a bunch of work to the suspension. I can see if he'd be interested in a suspension swap with you before he sells it. It's way better than stock now.

Seriously- anybody riding a Japanese DS with stock springs is in for a treat once the get the right springs in there......I figure there are two options. The bikes are set up for "showroom suspension"....so you can sit on the bike in the showroom, and bounce up and down making vroom vroom noises and pretending you're riding the whoops in baja....OR...all their test riders are 13 year old girls....buy the springs; budget the valving when you can afford it- both make a big difference, but without the right springs, you're pissin up a rope...or something as equally futile

Seriously- anybody riding a Japanese DS with stock springs is in for a treat once the get the right springs in there......I figure there are two options. The bikes are set up for "showroom suspension"....so you can sit on the bike in the showroom, and bounce up and down making vroom vroom noises and pretending you're riding the whoops in baja....OR...all their test riders are 13 year old girls....buy the springs; budget the valving when you can afford it- both make a big difference, but without the right springs, you're pissin up a rope...or something as equally futile

Why is pissing up a rope a futile act?

Hobiee- if that sort of thing suits you, put in .39 springs and knock yourself out- to be totally fair, I've never really tried the rope thing

My neighbor is talking about selling his DR350, he just had George do a bunch of work to the suspension. I can see if he'd be interested in a suspension swap with you before he sells it. It's way better than stock now.

Wow Tom, That does sound interesting. The PO claimed that my suspension had been customized for the desert. But I have no idea what I have - and nothing to compare. This is the only "real" bike I've ever had. I probably need someone to ride mine who knows what it should feel like. I do know that my bike sags more than other bikes I have ridden. I can't complain too much about that as my legs are pretty short.

If I remember correctly, you have a dirt model that is converted to street legal? If so, your stock suspension is a better starting point than my neighbors. Your front forks are cartridge forks and your rear shock has compression and rebound damping. His is damper rod forks and no adjustment on the rear shock. EIther way, his suspension is a huge step up. George can work magic even on stone age suspension.

Decisions decisions if indeed tntmo is correct.

The damper rod fork improvement with springs is considerable.

The cartridge fork improvement with springs is considerable with the added benefit of an adjustable damping system to further refine.

Do you need the added adjustment ?

Yes. Tntmo is correct about my bike. I should stick with my forks and start by trying to find out what springs I have.