Hello Chris can you post this info on your website and the SDAR Club website letting the adventure riders see this info on the Adventure Ride this year thanks.

Hello everyone, first of all I would like to thank those riders that participated in past BBTR events.

This year the Adventure Coarse will be a combination of Hwy and Dirt roads,there will be about 50% Dirt & 50% Hwy/Pavement along the route, we will also have some harder option and a Bail-out if you choose to try them out as well.

The A.M. loop will take you to the East/South East towards Pioneer Town but not into Pioneer Town because we will veer you to Lander's along the 247 Hwy or dirt route depending on which route you choose to the spirit gas station for gas and a break, after that we will send you North/North west to Camp rock Rd & Hwy 18 back towards Big Bear but not before you go though Cactus flats area for some more dirt and then back into town for Lunch and a gas top off.

The P.M. Loop will take you to the North side of Big Bear towards Big Pine Flats them we will take you down to Green Valley (this is on mostly dirt roads to Green Valley) and Back into town on hwy 18 with some dirt roads at the end before finishing the Adventure Route.

The total miles for the Adventure route with out taking the options and bail-outs will be about 172 Miles Long. I hope I was able to
​discribe this years Adventure Coarse ​

but if you have anymore
​ further​

? please feel free
​to​

contact me anytime.

P.S. I will be having a informational riders meeting on Friday Night around 8:30 or so to going over the GPS Routes for the H/W E/W & A/R if you want to attend, highly recommend it.

Looking forward to seeing you
​ all​

there on the day of the BBTR Run 2014

Chris,

What are the details of your Sweep responsibility? Say you come across two guys that are gassed and having tremendous trouble making the climb. Do you suggest bailing or just stick with it, you will get there eventually. Are you responsible for riding a guy out if his bike breaks? I imagine you ride up to Wide Spread Chaos often.

The surface of the course was quite coarse last time I rode Big Bear. :-D

I usually ride middle HW sweep......as we catch riders we advise them to keep moving or there's no chance of getting a plaque........we're also looking for broken bikes and broken dreams.....we'll recommend bailouts and/or deal with other situations.....

Chris,

What are the details of your Sweep responsibility? Say you come across two guys that are gassed and having tremendous trouble making the climb. Do you suggest bailing or just stick with it, you will get there eventually. Are you responsible for riding a guy out if his bike breaks? I imagine you ride up to Wide Spread Chaos often.

The surface of the course was quite coarse last time I rode Big Bear. :-D

Hi Bagster,

I am also a member of BBTR and have been a Sweep Rider for many years.

I can tell you I've helped change tires, help fix riders bikes who have broke down, given directions back to Big Bear for lost or tired riders, went back to BB for injured or broken down riders to get help and any other emergency that arises. At the 2007 or 2008 event I alerted the Park Rangers who called for an air lift rescue for a rider that fractured his leg(this is uncommon).

As a Sweep rider we have the responsibility to not leave anyone on the trail if help is needed. All riders are to check-in when finished with the ride(regardless of which route), so be at ease, we will not knowingly leave anyone on the trail.

Thanks and enjoy the ride.

My muscles hurt just thinking about this ride! Sometimes I have nightmares of Hill 38 (not really, but that hill sure beat me up last year). It would be a lot easier if you didn't have to dodge all the downed bikes, but that's part of the fun.

Looking forward to another adventure followed by days of being sore. Good times!

I booked a hotel near the convention center. Have an extra bed if anyone needs a place.

Don't really want to ride my bike TO Big Bear for the ride. Anyone else going that I could car/bike pool with?

Hello Chris can you post this info on your website and the SDAR Club website letting the adventure riders see this info on the Adventure Ride this year thanks.
Hello everyone, first of all I would like to thank those riders that participated in past BBTR events.
This year the Adventure Coarse will be a combination of Hwy and Dirt roads,there will be about 50% Dirt & 50% Hwy/Pavement along the route, we will also have some harder option and a Bail-out if you choose to try them out as well.
The A.M. loop will take you to the East/South East towards Pioneer Town but not into Pioneer Town because we will veer you to Lander's along the 247 Hwy or dirt route depending on which route you choose to the spirit gas station for gas and a break, after that we will send you North/North west to Camp rock Rd & Hwy 18 back towards Big Bear but not before you go though Cactus flats area for some more dirt and then back into town for Lunch and a gas top off.
The P.M. Loop will take you to the North side of Big Bear towards Big Pine Flats them we will take you down to Green Valley (this is on mostly dirt roads to Green Valley) and Back into town on hwy 18 with some dirt roads at the end before finishing the Adventure Route.
The total miles for the Adventure route with out taking the options and bail-outs will be about 172 Miles Long. I hope I was able to
but if you have anymore
​ further​
? please feel free
​to​
contact me anytime.
P.S. I will be having a informational riders meeting on Friday Night around 8:30 or so to going over the GPS Routes for the H/W E/W & A/R if you want to attend, highly recommend it.
​ all​

This would be my first shot at this, and I plan on doing the hard loop. Can you tell me how much riding time could I expect at night? I'd say I'm an intermediate rider and don't expect to stop too much. Secondly. what do you think of a new Dunlop 606 for a rear on my 500 EXC?

Thanks for the info!

Kevin Merlo,

These were my stats from last year.

450 with a trials tire, 6 gal tank, 2 gal of spare fuel on my back, water and all the repair crap that you may need.

Keep in mind that they have more than enough gas stops. I was just using the ride as training for something else.

odo: 210
Time: 9hrs 12min (elapsed not just moving)
Moving Avg: 24.3
Stopped: 33min

Lots of awesome people out there. You will love the course.

Advice would be to NOT sit on someones wheel. It's dusty and rocky and sitting on a wheel will likely cost you more energy than if you just let them go ahead a bit. It will be dusty no matter what, but the thick stuff is blinding.

One other tip... Just because there are 45 dudes pushing and smashing away on a line does not mean there is not a better choice right next to it. You would be amazed at the tunnel vision that happens up there. You will see...unless you're one of those 45...

Ride YOUR ride.

Enjoy

Sicvic

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply and offer the advice. I'll try not to follow and pay particular attention to line choice.

Thanks again Sic!

but if you have anymore
​ further​
? please feel free
​to​
contact me anytime.
​ all​

This would be my first shot at this, and I plan on doing the hard loop. Can you tell me how much riding time could I expect at night? I'd say I'm an intermediate rider and don't expect to stop too much. Secondly. what do you think of a new Dunlop 606 for a rear on my 500 EXC?

Thanks for the info!

The Sickness is a special kind of dude/rider......I'd ignore his 9hr mark and plan on 12........leave at 6-6:30am and hopefully you'll be back by 5 or 6pm. Lunch is a power bar at the gas station.... It's not about speed but you don't have time to dally at lunch, photo stops, BS sessions, etc.......you don't need to ride fast but you do need to keep moving........be patient, smile, keep a good attitude, and hopefully no bad breaks will set back your timing (log jams, mechanicals, etc)

I'd recommend a MT43 rear with ultra heavy duty tube at 8-10PSI........FAR superior to 606 in that terrain......take a look around when you get up there.......the riders "in the know" will have removed their desert knobbies and thrown on MT43 rear tires.....

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/742/32650/Pirelli-MT43-Trials-Tire?term=mt43%20pirelli%20tire

This was actually a timely reminder......I just ordered a new MT43/Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Tube.......they'll be here Thursday.....

Is "special" the politically correct term for Vic? I can think of a few other adjectives that fit him!

but yes, Kevin Merlo, Vic's 9hrs is a quick pace

but if you have anymore
​ further​
? please feel free
​to​
contact me anytime.
​ all​

Thanks for the info!

The Sickness is a special kind of dude/rider......I'd ignore his 9hr mark and plan on 12........leave at 6-6:30am and hopefully you'll be back by 5 or 6pm. Lunch is a power bar at the gas station.... It's not about speed but you don't have time to dally at lunch, photo stops, BS sessions, etc.......you don't need to ride fast but you do need to keep moving........be patient, smile, keep a good attitude, and hopefully no bad breaks will set back your timing (log jams, mechanicals, etc)

I'd recommend a MT43 rear with ultra heavy duty tube at 8-10PSI........FAR superior to 606 in that terrain......take a look around when you get up there.......the riders "in the know" will have removed their desert knobbies and thrown on MT43 rear tires.....

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/742/32650/Pirelli-MT43-Trials-Tire?term=mt43%20pirelli%20tire

This was actually a timely reminder......I just ordered a new MT43/Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Tube.......they'll be here Thursday.....

Beautiful, thank you! I actually took off my MT43 that I installed for Moab thinking there might be some sand. I'll just put it back on and be ready to go. I've got the MT16 up front. Thank you as well for the "recalibration" of the run time. From the videos I saw that 24.3 mph average speed Sic posted had me coming to the same conclusion!

Hope to see many of you up there.......I'll be at the GPS download table Friday night/Sat morning.....

Hope to see many of you up there.......I'll be at the GPS download table Friday night/Sat morning.....

I'm out........dumping ~$1500 into my truck's transmission today....... :crying_anim02: ......licking financial wounds and staying close to home this weekend......

Home now from the Big Bear run. Thanks for the advice...the MT43 was absolutely the right way to go, in addition to the advice to keep moving. This was my first time at this event and it was pretty gnarly in spots. Those steep, boulder strewn uphills were pretty rough, and I'll bet I picked up my bike 8-10 times. I went for the hard loop and made it 85 miles to the first gas stop. Along the way I bent the radiators on both sides, my SAS (smog crap) canister broke off of the side of the cylinder, and I punched a hole in my stator cover on the gear shifter side. My radiator was spitting water and I couldn't tell if it was overflow or I had a hole, so I would shut off the engine and coast on downhills just in case. I did a trailside JB Weld on my stator cover and moved the shifter to a lower position and helped one or two guys along the way.

I've been tired before, and I've had my arms turn to jelly on the track before, but this was the first time I've ever ridden to the point of serious muscle cramping. The back of my thighs, my triceps, and even my index finger curled up and locked in a "trigger pull" position! I had to bend and straighten it on the seat, and then make myself move when the cramping started.

I didn't quite understand the time limitation, so I pulled into the gas stop just about the time the sweeper was about to leave. He told me they were heading out and the checkpoints would be closed as they got there, so I wasn't going to make it. I intended to keep trying after the gas stop, but maybe this was how it was supposed to end for me. For next year I'll hope to be in better shape, I'll keep moving no matter what, take more water than my Camelbak will carry (I ran out, and the Jeep guys hooked me up along the way) and someday I'll actually buy radiator guards BEFORE I bend my radiators for the first time.

The course was pretty awesome, and in spite of getting my ass handed to me I had a great time. Hope everyone else that went had a good time as well.

Amazing!

This is why I love this ride.

Great efforts on your part out there. It's all about breaking something; fixing, then moving on to the next rock.

The cutoffs are tough if you're the one getting cut, but if they didn't have them people would be out there all night long and that could be dangerous.

The Hard Way is kind of about the plaque and they have the guidlines set for everyone to obtain it. (if you can)

If it were easy it just wouldn't mean as much right?...

I think one dude tried for 5 years to get it. I saw him walking out several years ago with a busted up shoulder.

Sit back, ready yourself, sign up and hammer away at it again next year.

Well done Sir; these are the stories I like to hear about.

You made it way father than I did this year; next year I'm coming after ya!

SicVic

Amazing!

This is why I love this ride.

Great efforts on your part out there. It's all about breaking something; fixing, then moving on to the next rock.

The cutoffs are tough if you're the one getting cut, but if they didn't have them people would be out there all night long and that could be dangerous.

The Hard Way is kind of about the plaque and they have the guidlines set for everyone to obtain it. (if you can)

If it were easy it just wouldn't mean as much right?...

I think one dude tried for 5 years to get it. I saw him walking out several years ago with a busted up shoulder.

Sit back, ready yourself, sign up and hammer away at it again next year.

Well done Sir; these are the stories I like to hear about.

You made it way father than I did this year; next year I'm coming after ya!

SicVic

Thanks a lot buddy. I will indeed line up again next year and hope to do much better. I did pretty good on the obstacles, but after it got hard to hold on I found myself falling over for stupid reasons...then cussing loudly inside my helmet! I learned that the flattest line up the hill isn't necessarily the best line: that back tire wants to get traction on rocks, not in the pebbles and sand next to the rocks. Aim for the boulder, even though your mind is telling you it's an obstacle to go around. I also learned that if you get deflected off of your intended line, let up on the throttle to think about it, and go to dab your leg there won't be anything there for your foot to find and you WILL fall over. When you feel like it's not going right and you want to chop the throttle and put a leg down you should do the OPPOSITE and just open the throttle. That new momentum will keep you upright and you won't have to put that leg down. You may crash anyway but your best shot is to gas it until the bike spits you off or you make it up the hill.

The cool thing about doing a really hard run is that you will certainly learn something, and it also re-calibrates your definition of "tough." I'll be back!

Great perspective and attitude about the ride. I like your analysis about opening the throttle when things aren't going good. So true! Sometimes you have to just point it straight and pin it I beat myself and the bike up the last 2 years, so we decided to take the easy route this year. After about 30 miles we regretted not going for the plaque. We even considered turning around, but we started later than we would have if we were going for the plaque. We decided to take a few detours and ride some of the single track that wasn't in the route this year. The easy route was a lot of fire roads and wasn't that great. To me, the hard route is what makes this ride great. I got a plaque 2 years ago and then last year my day ended about 180 miles in at hill 38. I went back another time to redeem myself and made it up when my body didn't feel like Jello.

With that said, it was nice to get back to the cabin around 2pm and not coughing up blood like last year.

This ride is definitely a challenge.

Good luck next year!

I heard some jerk yardsaled himself this year at about the 1/2 way point and mangled his shoulder something fierce.

I also heard that same jerk is excited to go back next year...

I heard some jerk yardsaled himself this year at about the 1/2 way point and mangled his shoulder something fierce.

I also heard that same jerk is excited to go back next year...

Some people never learn!