Afry

WWW - Warped Was Warped!

Once again the Western Adventure Rider Party and Endurance Drinking event was a gas!

Rode up with Kris Boon (the Brit) on Friday AM with concerns of weather. Kris works in the oil industry in very remote places (next job is in Mozambique/Africa) for long periods of time so when he is in town it's time to ride.

He wanted a new Go Pro so we stopped at Bass Pro SHops on the way up

2014-04-25+09.18.41.jpg

Then up Sheep Creek TT bypassing the nasty 15/215 merge up the hill

2014-04-25+10.48.30.jpg

Old school motorhome

2014-04-25+10.48.39.jpg

Kris's bosses name is the same...

2014-04-25+11.32.02.jpg

Stopped at the Rock Inn near Lake Hughes for a killer half tri tip, half pulled pork mandwhich and a couple cold beverages to wash it all down.

2014-04-25+13.08.30.jpg

Hit some rain at the top of Caliente Bodfish but not till we got past the good twisties then rolled into camp and set up tents between showers. For some crazy reason there are no more pictures till the next AM which had nothing to do with the 5 or so kegs on tap and table full of top shelf booze for sampling....kinda forgot to eat dinner as well. I say kinda because we raided FZCruzer, Stokes and Shooby's party for a leftover brat laying on the table. Well it figgin poured all night - well over a half inch more likely an inch of rain and 4" of snow about a thousand feet above us. Didn't stop a great party though, we hung out snuggled under a pop up awning with a roaring fire close by and watched in awe (?) as some drank from a bottle of Absinthe - the real worm wood crazy juice from Europe.

Camp KTM the next AM - snow in background

2014-04-26+06.59.19.jpg

A river ran through it...

2014-04-26+06.59.42.jpg

We made an attempt to ride a loop starting on Rancheria Rd but Kris's bike wouldn't start (loose battery cable) so FZCruzer, Shooby and Stoke went ahead with the plan that we would catch up. Rancheria road was a muddy mess and the ranchers said they could not get through up ahead in their 4x4 trucks due to the snow over mud mess.

Stopping the put warmer gear on

2014-04-26+10.32.25.jpg

So we turned around and went to Kern River Brewing company for some killer food and drinks.

2014-04-26+10.47.31.jpg

2014-04-26+12.23.34.jpg

Scary looking bikers admiring a real manly machine!

2014-04-26+13.20.52.jpg

Great Tri Tip dinner and raffle (Stoke did well) and the party was on again but many where in bed earlier including myself. The next day Stoke wanted to blast home to get some work done so Shooby rode with us as we went over Caliente Bodfish (not Walker) the shorter and more twistie way this time.

2014-04-27+08.38.15.jpg

Found these old guys out n a Sunday drive - Yikes!

2014-04-27+08.54.11.jpg

Shooby on Sheep Creek TT

2014-04-27+12.18.40.jpg

Good times!

2014-04-27+12.21.07.jpg

BMW riders have to have their OWN pictures... :smile_anim:

2014-04-27+12.21.21.jpg

Kris on SC TT

2014-04-27+12.39.34.jpg

Shooby!

2014-04-27+12.39.18.jpg

We trudged down the 15 in good time - Shooby waved off at the 78 and Kris and I stopped at the North bar in Escondido for a cold scuplin or two and then found our way home!

I've been to Warped twice now and the first time (2 years ago) we got snow in camp and this time a bit of rain - maybe it's me? Nah!

Hehe - pics from ADV ride report

Keep in mind it POURED during the night

Tent+2.jpg

Looks like his buddies did a little staging but did mention shortly after he lost his lunch for 10 mins out the back door of the tent.

Tent+1.jpg

What a Blast ! Warped for the win!

Arnie & Kris, thanks again for letting me tag along for the E-ticket ride home, it made for the perfect topper to a great trip!

That's Jesten, the dude who bought my 800GS. He passed out around 11:30 Saturday night after I fought to get him in his tent for about 20 minutes. When I left him, he was all the way in his tent but I didn't want to zip it up in case he had to hurl during the night and was too drunk to figure out his zippers. Good thing I did. :heh:

We had a great weekend too. I wish more people would come up from San Diego.

My trip was strictly road this year, but I still got some great riding in. I rode up with Devin, who is not on this site (I don't think) but has gone on a number of rides with us, and we met Dave (DSM8) at the 15/138 to hit the twisties.

txdh.jpg

On Caliente Bodfish Road, you have to watch out for cows.

c2o4.jpg

The descent to Lake Isabella which is where I wicked it up a bit!! Fun fun fun!!

ughl.jpg

And then to Kern River Brewery for lunch!!

8wu5.jpg

It was cold when we woke up Friday morning. Devin and Eddy the Australian who is riding the world on his very prepared DR.

9t6i.jpg

Devin and I went to see if the passes were open, they were not. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

5tdq.jpg

35tqm.jpg

Saturday was spent repairing a leak in my Y-pipe:

ehhx.jpg

Apparently it was rubbing on the center stand support...

64nz.jpg

After I repaired the bike, I went out shooting. No pictures of that. :shiftyeyes_anim:

Saturday night's raffle featured a talk from John with Stewards of the Sequoia. We raised over $1,200 for him in less than 15 minutes by passing the hat!!

vibu9.jpg

nn7u.jpg

Then it was back to the campfire to kill the kegs and a few bottles of McCallan's:

bdarling and CA Stu:

8y3z.jpg

Pretty soon the lightweights began dropping like flies:

w7gq.jpg

But this A-hole wouldn't stop!! :heh:

szjl.jpg

Oh well, he paid the price!!

b354.jpg

Even though I rode less this year than any other year, I still had a blast!!

Looks good guys. Afry, can you share more info about that Sheep Creek TT and surrounding trails into Kern? I haven't been up there since my youth and I'm pretty clueless about the great trails up there.

Looks like a fun one. Yeti, I'm curious how you did a road side repair on your pipe??

Looks like a fun one. Yeti, I'm curious how you did a road side repair on your pipe??

QuikSteel and header wrap. Blew out within 5 miles. Just rode it home like that and will be getting it welded in the next week or so. Thankfully, a friend has their stock y-pipe which I'll install tomorrow and get back to riding!

I had a feeling you were going to say something like that because it looks like a difficult trail fix, unless you happen to have a mig welder. It should be an easy weld job though.

Looks good guys. Afry, can you share more info about that Sheep Creek TT and surrounding trails into Kern? I haven't been up there since my youth and I'm pretty clueless about the great trails up there.

Sure, it's an easy big bike capable ride with some rock but no biggie. Basically you exit 15N at Sierra Ave but go left (North) on Lytle Creek Rd about 8 miles till you hit Sheep Canyon Rd on your right then bear left on Sheep Creek TT which joins Lytle Creek Rd (trail) which brings you out to Lone Pine Canyon Rd just a few miles south of Wrightwood. I have tracks if you want them but it's pretty easy to follow. The gravel/rocky trail is about 11 miles long and takes about an hour from the 15 to Wrightwood going this way.

There are some other good looking trails to the west as you go north on Lytle Creek Rd a couple miles from the 15 that would be worth exploring.