tvscum

Border to Laguna solo ride

Took the big 170 mile loop today solo. Hwy 94 to Tecate, then east on this side of the border fence, to Campo, La Posta Rd, Thing, Mt. Laguna, Engineers, Boulder Creek Rd., Viejas Grade Rd, and into Alpine. It's starting to look like spring, lots of green in the back country. Stopped by Alpine Brewery and there was a hour-long line out the door of the brewery (not the pub). Apparently, today was the release date of the extraordinarily rare 11% booze Exponential Hoppiness. I tasted a glass in the pub and decided to wait in line to purchase a couple bottles. (Two was the limit).

The big loop

google_zps49cae577.jpg

The border near Campo

IMG_0583_zpsd84358c3.jpg

Found a party spot off Thing

IMG_0587_zps37540030.jpg

Mt. Laguna, nice!

IMG_0586_zps508caf39.jpg

Boulder Creek Rd shots (getting green!)

IMG_0593_zps26a933d9.jpg

IMG_0594_zps6a599cc9.jpg

IMG_0596_zpsd7f34478.jpg

The payoff!

IMG_0598_zpsfa315840.jpg

Thanks to me for leading!

Awesome ride/report, I am looking to do something similar tomorrow and hopefully ending at Alpine brew as well although might end up a little shorter.

Like that route, David. The variety of scenery available keeps it interesting. Thx for posting.

Loverly. That Boulder Creek Rd. is nice. Nice and slippery.

SSSTA%201-09%20010%20HL%20%26%20MT%20100

You could add more dirt to this route by starting at Sleep Train Amphitheater, going up and over Otay Mtn and coming out either at Marron Valley Rd or carrying it through to the Barrett Junction "exit" at Hwy 94. However, when I drove past yesterday, I noticed they are doing some construction work on that bridge near Barrett Junction Cafe and they had the area coned off. Looks like they are adding new guardrails and new "bridge end treatments" so the "exit" may be eliminated. We'll see.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/paffairs/news/pressrel/13pr075.htm

TVSCUM,

Where did you get the extra coverage to your hand guards or did you make them ?

you convinced me to go check out "thing", looks really nice out there.

TVSCUM,

Where did you get the extra coverage to your hand guards or did you make them ?

Those are old school Acerbis handguards. The white inserts are stock with that model. Not sure they make them anymore.

That's a righteous bike; my buddy has the same one. Must be one of the best trail bikes ever.

Must have been glorious out there today. I love that climb from the gate at Thing Valley Ranch to the ride around.

Is La Posta between 94 and 8 paved or dirt?

That's a righteous bike; my buddy has the same one. Must be one of the best trail bikes ever.

Must have been glorious out there today. I love that climb from the gate at Thing Valley Ranch to the ride around.

Is La Posta between 94 and 8 paved or dirt?

that section is paved.. i rode it standing up on the pegs with a friendly BP agent on my ass the whole way

I have been roaming the Lagunas for almost 40 years. Recently I've been stopped by the BP and asked what I am doing. I want to say, "The same thing I was doing before you were born." Maybe if we controlled the actual *border* Americans could recreate in peace.

Found a party spot off Thing

IMG_0587_zps37540030.jpg

This spot looks kind of familiar. I haven't partied there but I have camped there I think.

464661_10201348148611830_99912474_o.jpg

971142_10201348147051791_1219086974_n.jp