paulmbowers

Current Communication Equipment

Some discussion with the repeater operators would be necessary. Particularly helpful might be the practice of repeater linking, where two or more repeaters are linked for the limited duration of a specific event.

The two most likely repeaters are Monument Peak and Superstition- each could cover one side or the other of the course.

Paul / gents,

Can you describe how to search for open channel for those emergency situations where you Need to Talk Fast!

Thanks, Potentially Desperate

Paul / gents,

Can you describe how to search for open channel for those emergency situations where you Need to Talk Fast!

Thanks, Potentially Desperate

You can just say "break" or "break for emergency traffic" and all communication should stop for emergency traffic.

No, I can't. I wish I could.

The radios we have will happily scan for transmissions- that's no problem. But if it finds someone who's talking, that does not mean you can talk to them.

Repeaters account for the great majority of all radio traffic you'll hear on the 2meter band. Typically a repeater transmits on one frequency and listens on another. The delta of those is called the " offset" and the specific offset must be programmed into your radio in order to make the first step towards successful conversations.

Second- most repeaters use what's called a sub tone or pl tone- an inaudible tone that is sent by a radio to tell the repeater you're a "real" user.

So. In order to use a repeater, you need those specifications. It's no big deal if you have a little book of repeaters or internet access so you can look up the information. That's simple, unless you're lying in a ditch alone with a triple fracture of the Painbones.

Your best option is to do a lot of research in advance, know exactly what repeaters, if any, are available in your riding area, and program the into your radio in advance. Which sounds like a lot of fun, right?

Some discussion with the repeater operators would be necessary. Particularly helpful might be the practice of repeater linking, where two or more repeaters are linked for the limited duration of a specific event.

The two most likely repeaters are Monument Peak and Superstition- each could cover one side or the other of the course.

No, I can't. I wish I could.

The radios we have will happily scan for transmissions- that's no problem. But if it finds someone who's talking, that does not mean you can talk to them.

Repeaters account for the great majority of all radio traffic you'll hear on the 2meter band. Typically a repeater transmits on one frequency and listens on another. The delta of those is called the " offset" and the specific offset must be programmed into your radio in order to make the first step towards successful conversations.

Second- most repeaters use what's called a sub tone or pl tone- an inaudible tone that is sent by a radio to tell the repeater you're a "real" user.

So. In order to use a repeater, you need those specifications. It's no big deal if you have a little book of repeaters or internet access so you can look up the information. That's simple, unless you're lying in a ditch alone with ail tipple fracture of the Painbones.

Your best option is to do a lot of research in advance, know exactly what repeaters, if any, are available in your riding area, and program the into your radio in advance. Which sounds like a lot of fun, right?

Well, and here in lies the problem. It starts to become a real issue to get everyone's radios programmed correctly for the repeaters. However - if we knew which repeaters covered the areas, I'm sure we could get some hams to monitor them for traffic.

ECRA has repeaters on both of those - but there will be areas in slot canyons and similar where they just won't cover. Such is life with VHF at low wattage. Licensed users could use those repeaters - but we also might want to contact them about using them beforehand.

-When you say radio pigtail are you referring to the "Radio Adapter Cord" in the above picture? I have that piece.

Yes.

That short cable adapts different radios to the universal harness.

-Is the 2 prong connector (one longer and one shorter pin) a universal plug for most handheld radios?

No.

Different radios use different connections- some overlap, but most are unique to the brand or model.

-On the other side (left in the pic) of the radio adapter cord there is a small connector that mates to the PCI harness. I believe it is a 5 pin connector but I'd have to verify tonight. Is that typically proprietary to PCI, RR or BD or is it a universal as well?

I don't know if they are universal, but all the 5-pin connectors I've see will interchange. I've not used a PCI but they look suspiciously like the RR which I believe manufactures them- as they used to for BD. Originally, BD used Avcomm, an avation supplier. My understanding is that BD no longer sells radio gear.

Thanks for the reply. If I were to buy the Baofeng or the Rugged Radios RH-5R (rebranded Baofeng - the blue looks cool) then there is a possibility that I could run my original jumper/"Radio Adapter Cord" but if necessary, I could buy this RR Jumper. I assume everybody with a Baofeng radio and Rugged Radio helmet kit use such a Jumper? I do like that the PCI Jumper/Adapter Cord screws into the PCI/Icom radio and won't unplug.

Reviewing the discussion (great discussion btw, thanks for all who have contributed so far) of radio repeaters for the DD, I think it would be a great idea if we could legally use one of the existing repeaters for increased radio comm reliability. IMHO satellite phones are still best for rescue/emergency communications as you can directly call for immediate medical support [satellite phone + gps waypoint will allow for fastest response time]. Radios are clearly better for inner-group comms ("where is Bowers) but have limitations in terms of range, licensing issues and borrowing/using a repeater. Should SDAR be allowed to access repeaters for the DD, the usability of radio would increase immensly. Might you or another fine individual in this thread care to volunteer spearheading Comms at the DD (when the times comes) and coordinate with the ECRA etc?

My recommended protocol for DD: Sat phones should be carried by all official sweep teams. Radios should be highly recommended for sweep teams especially if they need to move through a pack of riders.

I have been suggesting this level of radio/repeater coverage for many years, but no interest whatsoever has been indicated. Personally, it's one of the reasons I rarely ride DD. And then there's the camping.

The first step is to have more licensed operators in the club, so riders can report problems to a volunteer radio network from the scene of the issue. A good time to begin that conversation is when more riders choose to become legal and are motivated to use facilities like repeaters.But it's a little complicated, and most of us just want to ride.

Another issue with the radios that we noticed at the last DD was that many people who travel down to ride have their own set frequency.

I have been suggesting this level of radio/repeater coverage for many years, but no interest whatsoever has been indicated. Personally, it's one of the reasons I rarely ride DD. And then there's the camping.

The first step is to have more licensed operators in the club, so riders can report problems to a volunteer radio network from the scene of the issue. A good time to begin that conversation is when more riders choose to become legal and are motivated to use facilities like repeaters.But it's a little complicated, and most of us just want to ride.

Definitely. However, those of us who are licensed can use the ECRA repeaters. I am kinda curious about coverage and tempted to do some sort of radio testing trip and see which repeaters are available where. However with slot canyons and the like there are areas that radios just won't work.

Another issue with the radios that we noticed at the last DD was that many people who travel down to ride have their own set frequency.

I think most riders would not want to be on the same channel as everyone else. Perhaps use their own and monitor the sweep frequency.

and that's fine- each group can use their own for simplex. In fact, that probably works better,- less crosstalk between groups. As long as they know how to key up the emergency repeater frequencies.

and that's fine- each group can use their own for simplex. In fact, that probably works better,- less crosstalk between groups. As long as they know how to key up the emergency repeater frequencies.

Yep! This, however - repeaters are no guarantee.

So....who want to go ride around the desert and test repeaters?

I think most riders would not want to be on the same channel as everyone else. Perhaps use their own and monitor the sweep frequency.

Yes. Radio communication is new to many riders. I think putting out a sweep frequency to all the riders and then utilizing Sat phones for sweep crews is the best we can offer (at this time). If we could have more licensed people on the sweep crew's that were better with the radio's utilizing the repeater's that would surely help.

Yes. Radio communication is new to many riders. I think putting out a sweep frequency to all the riders and then utilizing Sat phones for sweep crews is the best we can offer (at this time). If we could have more licensed people on the sweep crew's that were better with the radio's utilizing the repeater's that would surely help.

I wonder if perhaps we should consider partnering with another group to offer ham radio testing?

For me, testing is the easy part.

I've contacted ham clubs in the past who'd be willing to work with us- the problem has been a general lack of interest, and the challenge of programming the radios.

Yep! This, however - repeaters are no guarantee.

So....who want to go ride around the desert and test repeaters?

Yes. In the fall..

I've contacted ham clubs in the past who'd be willing to work with us- the problem has been a general lack of interest, and the challenge of programming the radios.

You sound like a scorned lover PMB! This thread IS showing interest - heck, Daniel just posted that he wants to go testing! Sweep teams and those interested in radio comms can/will program their radios or be left out. SDAR cannot guarantee 100% radio cooperation (not everybody has a radio nor wants on) just as SDAR cannot guarantee anybody a 100% safe ride. Motorcycling is an inheriently dangerous sport.

You cannot have 50 radio operators using one channel as it will overwhelm the channel, people will be singing Tom Jones and emergency comms will get "stepped on". A group from D37 or OC Dualies or even SDAR friends can use their favorite frequency if they so choose. All riders should be informed of the SDAR frequency or the DD emergency frequency should they so chose to use it. If a rider chooses to not program one's radio, does not carry a satellite phone, does not use a Spot, does not ride with crash protection, does not ride with tools, does not have adequate water for the desert and/or or does not ride with a buddy... then that is on them and they can hopefully wait for a Sweep Team Volunteer or fellow rider to stop to help them. DD Volunteers / SDAR radio fans cannot program everybody's radio But, we can program our own and use them more effectively thanks to the coordinated efforts of the many people who have posted in this thread! (all IMHO btw).

Ride Safe, No Singing, Over.

-Goofing with radios

btw can a Mod make the DD comm discussion it's own thread if possible?

The beginning of the thread was focused on equipment and I kind of derailed it by starting the DD discussion. My apologies.

Yes.

Been trying to gain interest in exactly that scenario for years.

Welcome!

Ride Safe, No Singing, Over.

-Goofing with radios

You sure? I have been working hard on Soft Cell "Tainted Love"

I'm tempted to go out there with my truck (with air conditioning) before then haha! But yes, we will want to do some sort of "mapping" of where repeaters work.

FYI

I know they are some non ham's using ham freqs. (I don't care if you are. I'm not bitching.) But they are license free Vhf we can use. The called MURS or Color Dot. Also fun to play with. You can hear orders at McDonald as well. If you own a non ham radio have fun with the MURS freqs.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/multi-use-radio-service-murs-0

check other freqs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_band

73's KE6UPI

David

Just acquired a Beofeng and set up with Chirp. Started basic programming for NOAA, MURS, etc. Tech license studies currently underway through the aarl site. Singing has yet to be mentioned in the test exams, I suppose this would fall under "Gross Harmful Interference". I think I heard that term being thrown around on the last Bowers ride ?

Just acquired a Beofeng and set up with Chirp. Started basic programming for NOAA, MURS, etc. Tech license studies currently underway through the aarl site. Singing has yet to be mentioned in the test exams, I suppose this would fall under "Gross Harmful Interference". I think I heard that term being thrown around on the last Bowers ride ?

FYI The study guide I used was free available on this website: http://www.kb6nu.com/tech-manual/ Really easy to read through to pass the test.