hobiee

Emergency info

Keep it up to date and somehow visible to those called upon to keep you alive in an emergency situation!

On a recent trip in for "routine" outpatient surgery I found out I have a pretty severe case of malignant hyperthermia. Basically sedation just about killed me! Not something very common but If I was not where I was, under the care of a very highly skilled and seasoned surgeon, I would not be here posting this today.

I wear a road ID bracelet which contains every bit of important info needed to help me get through that dreaded emergency we all play on the edge of. I have had it for years and it's a nice piece of mind if I cannot provide info. Just some thoughts to be prepared as possible.

First I've heard of it - did some reading - crazy stuff. Very happy it all worked out. So I guess the bracelet will get an update?

Swapping info with a riding buddy or letting a group know where that info is on your bike is also good. We used to mention this on rides and have gotten away from it. Thx for the reminder.

Quite a few years ago I went on a ride with some folks I met from another website and the ride leader had some cards made up to give to everyone who showed up. Before we left, he made sure we filled them out and had them taped to our bikes. Good idea since we didn't know each other outside the internet forum, if one of us was injured at least we had contact information.

Something to think about, maybe should be a group ride rule.

Here's one example found online.

http://www.n-styleid.com/medical-usb-flash-drive/free-medical-id-card.html

Keep it up to date and somehow visible to those called upon to keep you alive in an emergency situation!

On a recent trip in for "routine" outpatient surgery I found out I have a pretty severe case of malignant hyperthermia. Basically sedation just about killed me! Not something very common but If I was not where I was, under the care of a very highly skilled and seasoned surgeon, I would not be here posting this today.

I wear a road ID bracelet which contains every bit of important info needed to help me get through that dreaded emergency we all play on the edge of. I have had it for years and it's a nice piece of mind if I cannot provide info. Just some thoughts to be prepared as possible.

Excellent reminder...

Many have already seen my system. Very basic:

Tape on headlight mask with emergency contact name and number, blood type and VA ONLY!

When running I have a dog tag in my shoes laces with the same info.

Out in the open, easy to find and It's always with you.

*Pretend the photo is right here*

Guess I'm not up to speed on the loading thing yet...

On your person is best. In a situation if I am on scene to help you out my focus is you not looking for your bike which may or may not be close by. Anything helps though.

On your person is best. In a situation if I am on scene to help you out my focus is you not looking for your bike which may or may not be close by. Anything helps though.

Yup, I'm a 1st responder and the first place I look for medical info on a downed person is around their neck or wrist.

People are tired of hearing me tell them my ICE info is always on my left wrist, and please wait at least two weeks following my death to use my wife's number to ask her for a date.

Warning: You'd best bring your A game. dry.gif

I also wear it to walk to workouts at 540 am.