Goofy Footer

Death Valley ~ Spring ~ March 7-9, 2014

I'm planning on riding my KLR up from San Diego. Would like to coordinate a group or tag along. I have Friday through Monday off. Anyone planning on riding up? I really want to spend the full Saturday and Sunday exploring DV.

One area close to PSR that I've never been to is Cerro Gordo. Taking the big left on Saline Valley Road about 8 miles north of Highway 190, the road to the Cerro Gordo Ghost Town and the Salt Tram climbs all the way to 9184ft (very weather dependant). It looks to be a bit under 50 miles each way from PSR.

Save the Swansea/Cerro Gordo trip for Oct......Burgess Cabin is at ~10K' (along the same ridgeline as the Salt Tram when you head up from Swansea) .......this is NOT the time of year to head up that way......

+1 what Crawdaddy says. One sugestion for a MINE TOUR if you will, is Nadeau to the limestone quarry, over to Jail Canyon then up to SkiDoo then 190 back to camp. About 115 miles. I'll have my off road map book with me, you are all welcome to check it out if you like.

do you guys have particular spots reserved?would prob truck up there Thursday night. ride Friday and Saturday.

I'm chewing on the idea of riding up Friday on the GS and staying in a hotel, riding around the park Saturday and then hoteling it somewhere between there and home. I'm not totally against camping but it takes way more prep than I want to do off a bike on this trip. I'll continue to monitor this thread but I'm 90% committed.

I'm chewing on the idea of riding up Friday on the GS and staying in a hotel, riding around the park Saturday and then hoteling it somewhere between there and home. I'm not totally against camping but it takes way more prep than I want to do off a bike on this trip. I'll continue to monitor this thread but I'm 90% committed.

Panamint has rooms for $80. they're cheaper than Stovepipe.

1392355567[/url]' post='167834']

Panamint has rooms for $80. they're cheaper than Stovepipe.

Only on Friday, booked Sat/Sun

What about coordinating with somebody who is trucking to drive up your gear? Your camping gear should compact nicely and you can get meals at the resort across from the PSR campsites.

do you guys have particular spots reserved?would prob truck up there Thursday night. ride Friday and Saturday.

Good question. The campground isn't terribly big so we'll be able to find each other worst comes to worst if we end up camping all apart.

I was going to pick in the 30s but either side tent camping works fine

PSR-Map-with-grid-2-650w.jpg

I still need to reserve a camp spot dead.gif/>

I just checked my reservation. I don't have a site number assigned so it may be first come first served sorta arrangement. Maybe as it gets closer we can pull together a list of who is going and what they reserved and we (I'll volunteer) can work it with them in advance to get everyone in the same general area.

All the rooms are booked. Thinking of doing a tent cabin so I can ride up and back with pmb. I can just toss a sleeping bag on the bike and i will be fine. I just want to avoid hauling all the junk that goes with camping unless I'm going to actually be camping, in which case I would trailer up.

All the rooms are booked. Thinking of doing a tent cabin so I can ride up and back with pmb. I can just toss a sleeping bag on the bike and i will be fine. I just want to avoid hauling all the junk that goes with camping unless I'm going to actually be camping, in which case I would trailer up.

Where do you guys plan on riding up from and what departure time? I wanna ride up and camp.

Where do you guys plan on riding up from and what departure time? I wanna ride up and camp.

Coordinate with PMB (Paul) for that info. I believe the plan is to group up in SD and then ride to my house in Temecula, stage and then leave from there.

On a separate note I booked my tent cabin yesterday for Friday and Saturday.

I'm still trying to decide if I can trust my Tiger enough to ride up on Friday after work. I can't take time off work for this so it would be ride up Friday, ride around DV on Saturday and ride home Sunday. I was trying to consider this ride, damn it!

Vacman, if you don't mind my asking, what are the tent cabins going for?

$35 a night. Quite reasonable if you don't want to haul camping stuff, IMO. http://www.panamintsprings.com/accommodations/camping-rv/

I'm still trying to decide if I can trust my Tiger enough to ride up on Friday after work. I can't take time off work for this so it would be ride up Friday, ride around DV on Saturday and ride home Sunday. I was trying to consider this ride, damn it!

Where's the adventure without a little trust in your equipment? This will be the furthest I've ever ridden my 1150, so we'll be in the same boat. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. :)/>

You should do this- looks like Saturday will be a solid BigBike day.

I'm thinking simple- Titus Canyon maybe?

May I gently direct you to the Communications thread? party.gif

Where's the adventure without a little trust in your equipment? This will be the furthest I've ever ridden my 1150, so we'll be in the same boat. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. :)/>/>

Well, it's almost gone an entire tank of fuel without an issue so I suppose that's some kind of a record for a British vehicle.

I needed to change from a tent site to something else because I'm bringing my motorcycle trailer. So I decided WTH, I'll just get the group site. It has power to charge phones, a fire pit, etc.

Group Camp Site: Up to 30 people Great site for large groups such as scout troops, student groups, motorcycle and off road groups. Site has a small stage with power for a P/A system, a large fire pit and picnic tables. Site is 80′ x 35′. Parking is limited to 5 vehicles. Arrangements may be made for additional vehicles for an additional cost. We do not have a limit for the number of tents, as long as they are contained within the site.

PSR is flexible on the parking arrangements and will let us go over the limit some as long as we are good neighbors. The limit is 5 vehicles and they consider a motorcycle 1/2 of a vehicle. I'm betting we won't have a problem if we have 3 or 4 vehicles and 5 motorcycles ...... and are good neighbors.

There is plenty of tent space so if we go over we may have to move a motorcycle or two to a friendly tent site.

This is not a share the cost arrangement. Come, park, camp, and enjoy.

Let me know if want on the list:

Vehicles:

1. CableJockey - John

2. Goofy Footer

Motorcycles:

1. CableJockey - John

2. Goofy Footer

Wow very cool of you. I'd be happy to host any overflow vehicle parking that I can at the tent cabin. Not sure what the maximums are but I'm sure we will find out.

Well played sir! If you're going to do that, then the least I can do is bring some fire wood. I plan on getting there around noon on Thurs.

My vacation is approved... SO I am in... I have not decided on if I am driving the suburban and camping... riding the GS and camping... or riding the GS ans staying in the resort...

Last I checked the resort rooms were booked for when we were supposed to be there....

If I do take my suburban I do have access to a trailer to transport as many as 3 bikes... I am open to discussion...

I'm out, the Triumph overheated after I just talked well of it. Love/hate relationship with this bike....

My vacation is approved... SO I am in... I have not decided on if I am driving the suburban and camping... riding the GS and camping... or riding the GS ans staying in the resort...

Last I checked the resort rooms were booked for when we were supposed to be there....

If I do take my suburban I do have access to a trailer to transport as many as 3 bikes... I am open to discussion...

Hodnettjj,

If you decide to camp, there is room in the group camp site. See my earlier post.

CableJockey

I'm out, the Triumph overheated after I just talked well of it. Love/hate relationship with this bike....

You've got almost two weeks to fix it. :)