Guest Hammerin Hammon

Missing link

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I had a great ride Saturday.After 8,000 hard miles of hard rides I installed a 10 year old 520 chain that came off my CR 500 when I got the GOLD Bling Bling chain. I should have installed a new rivet chain link but didnt. I used a 10 year old clip chain link. I figured if it worked on a 70+ horse power 500 it will be good enough for my 650L. NOT. From now on I am useing the rivet links only.

After getting my chain back together I was in a hurry to get going again so off we went. My bike sounded diferent (a little louder) then the throttle stuck. I got going again and then my bike stalled (it sounded like it siezed up) Oh NO, I thought. This isnt going to be a good day for TEAM HONDA. But it started rigt up and away I went. A few miles further the group stopped at a Y in the road, I figured it was a good time to look over my bike, OH NO, my air box was all but gone, and the air filter was hanging by a broken piece of plastic at the bottom of my air box.

My bike had been sucking in dirt like a vacuum cleaner. I installed the filter and rode another 110 miles back to Carguys house. My bullet proof 650L never skipped a beat.

Bullet proof but not flying chain proof? :huh:

I think this experiance has made our bond even stronger. ;)

After getting my chain back together I was in a hurry to get going again so off we went. My bike sounded different...

No one wants to hold up the group and all... but... please do, it may save time in the long run...

You were prepared and that saved a lot more time than a tow! ;)

Glad she hung in there for you. Those Honda's are like the eveready bunny, they just keep going and going. That place in Escondido that parts bikes may have an airbox that will fit. Schwinn knows the number.

Get it sealed up good so we can ride again. ;) Ken

From now on I am useing the rivet links only.

Bullet proof but not flying chain proof? ;)

Chain problems can affect any brand - Fortunately none of my machines have spit a chain.

Both of my bikes need new chain and sprocket sets. I have never done this b4 so I have no clue as to what brand to use or even what a rivet link is? I was going to ride my Honda to work tonight but the chain was loose again. It seems that it is stretched out and dosent fit the sprocket properly anymore. The Ktm needs to be geared lower so it will also need a new chain and sprocket set.

Seems Gunner had Chain Trouble on his BRP at the DD 2007. Look at the picture in post #5 in this thread -- see the shiny new chain sitting on his seat? http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...ic=808&st=0

Glad she hung in there for you. Those Honda's are like the eveready bunny, they just keep going and going. That place in Escondido that parts bikes may have an airbox that will fit. Schwinn know the number.

746-7467 ASK FOR SCOTT OR MAC

Paul- Go to Rockymountainatv.com. I just put the Primary Drive X ring chain on my bike. Awesome chain. Best price! I got a longer chain than needed, and a couple extra masters. That way you can have couple extra links if something happens on the trails. Cheap insurance

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Glad she hung in there for you. Those Honda's are like the eveready bunny, they just keep going and going. That place in Escondido that parts bikes may have an airbox that will fit. Schwinn know the number.

746-7467 ASK FOR SCOTT OR MAC

I ordered an air box Sunday night from Bike Bandit, should be here soon.

I changed the oil this morning,(not too dirty) glad this bike has a oil filter.

Thanks for a great ride (love those rocky hills)and all your tips. Craig. :huh:

My newest chain (DID 520 VM Series Gold X-ring) came with a rivet-only link, and no clip link. Without the $150 tool needed to put together the rivet link, I opted to go buy a cliplink for $5 and use that instead. Now you got me thinking twice about it. At the very least I learned that I need to add a spare cliplink to my tool kit, but I am wondering if it might be worth sucking it up and getting the tool so I can use the stronger rivet link next time.

Question to experienced 650cc riders: Was this broken link episode a fluke, or is it a more common problem that we should be worried about?

I have been in motorcycle service professionally, and I have almost never seen bikes, even big ones, pop masterlink clips. The links and clips need to be installed properly and securely so that the open end of the clip is trailing on tire rotation and the chain is properly adjusted and nothing is damaged or bent on the chain guide. If in doubt, I have seen riders use a little RTV on the clip to keep it in place, but that shouldn't really need to be done. Maybe there was a defect on the clip or masterlink pins that caused the chain to throw or maybe Hammer damaged the clip or link in a really rocky section.

My newest chain (DID 520 VM Series Gold X-ring) came with a rivet-only link, and no clip link. Without the $150 tool needed to put together the rivet link, I opted to go buy a cliplink for $5 and use that instead. Now you got me thinking twice about it. At the very least I learned that I need to add a spare cliplink to my tool kit, but I am wondering if it might be worth sucking it up and getting the tool so I can use the stronger rivet link next time.

Question to experienced 650cc riders: Was this broken link episode a fluke, or is it a more common problem that we should be worried about?

It was not a fluke or a problem, it was a mistake. Hammer installed a 10 yr old chain as he wrote in the opening sentence of this thread.

To all:

I have the tool... wait ... I mean... I have the riveting tool for 520-530 chains. I can drop it off for you to use at your convenience.

My suggestion... that nobody asked for... is to using the rivet type chains on 650s and any bikes running lots of street miles.

Keep a link type master and spare links in your kit.

I've never had a master link fail either, but spitting one off at 80 mph could ruin your day

It was not a fluke or a problem, it was a mistake. Hammer installed a 10 yr old chain as he wrote in the opening sentence of this thread.

Oh yeah :blink: , well I've ridden on chains that were a few years old, but not worn out. He should have specified that his chain was a ten year old chain that had the catpoop flogged out of it as well and wasn't worn the same as his sprockets :huh::huh::lol:

I never had a problem with the Masterlink Clip style until I started riding the bigger bikes. My ATK 605 and BMW650 GS Dakar would both throw the clip. Then I noticed the chain manufactures were going away from the clip also. Since I have been using the Rivet Style-no chain failures. both of my bikes are 50HP bikes-that maybe the magic number to upgrade to the Rivet Style.

Some of you may remember my busted chain incident at DD '07. The master link and clip held just fine, it broke due to misalignment caused by two teeth that distorted on the aftermarket primary sprocket :blink: .

I've been ridding on an RK520XSO Gold "X" ring using a master clip for 5,000 miles without any isuues :huh: .

It is time fo a new set up due to stretching but the chain looks great, all of the rollers are smooth as silk.

One of the tricks to using master links is to make sure the clip is pointed in the right direction like Mimi mentioned earlier.

I also use the chain breaker to "Press" the end of the pins on the master link once I snap the clip on. It helps

to flatten the end of the pins over the clip which helps to hold the clip on.

I always carry two master links and clips just in case.

Cycle Gear has the RK and DID 520's for like $2.50

Oh, and I forgot to add that you should never run a worn component with a new one. Always replace your sprockets and chain together as a set. :blink:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Oh yeah :blink: , well I've ridden on chains that were a few years old, but not worn out. He should have specified that his chain was a ten year old chain that had the catpoop flogged out of it as well and wasn't worn the same as his sprockets :huh::huh::lol:

It was an old chain but far from worn out. I used the stock POS. chain for 8000 miles The cain I used had less than 500 miles. It came of my CR 500 when I instaled a more expensive gold chain. It is a RK>520X. O ring chain that is still on my 650L. But it now has a rivet type link.

I was told not to use a clip type link by the smart guys at North County House of Motercycles.

I was too lazy to take my chain in to get the right rivet type link.

This chain has been on my bike since I rode home from the Baja 500 June 4th I have put about 900 realy hard miles on this Chain. Lots of 2 up rides with my bike fully loaded. Lots of drag races two up on the street. I am blown away that the only thing on my bike that has failed is the chan,(the way I ride)

I learned about chain links when I couldnt find one on the stock chain, it had none. when I changed my gearing I shortened the chain as much as possible (it makes the 650L climb better and wheelie easier) I bought the Park chain tool then. It is a great tool, you can cut chains easily with it and install the rivet type chain link.

I have never had chain problems before, but I never had a bike that I could ride this hard that lasted this long with almost no maintenance. I supose that is why my bike came sock with a rivet type chain link.

post-465-1192056758_thumb.jpg

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I never had a problem with the Masterlink Clip style until I started riding the bigger bikes. My ATK 605 and BMW650 GS Dakar would both throw the clip. Then I noticed the chain manufactures were going away from the clip also. Since I have been using the Rivet Style-no chain failures. both of my bikes are 50HP bikes-that maybe the magic number to upgrade to the Rivet Style.

You are right that is why my 650L came with no master link.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Oh, and I forgot to add that you should never run a worn component with a new one. Always replace your sprockets and chain together as a set. :blink:

True if your bike has an aluminum sprocket on the wheel but my bike still has the stock steel bullet proof sprokets with almost no wear. The chain I installed had almost no wear and is an R.K. 520X O ring chain. The chain I replaced also had little wear and was not streched it was old 8000 miles and it wasnt a smooth roling O ring chain. Like the one that was lying on my garage floor awaiting a new home.

Some of you may remember my busted chain incident at DD '07. The master link and clip held just fine, it broke due to misalignment caused by two teeth that distorted on the aftermarket primary sprocket :blink: .

I've been ridding on an RK520XSO Gold "X" ring using a master clip for 5,000 miles without any isuues :huh: .

It is time fo a new set up due to stretching but the chain looks great, all of the rollers are smooth as silk.

One of the tricks to using master links is to make sure the clip is pointed in the right direction like Mimi mentioned earlier.

I also use the chain breaker to "Press" the end of the pins on the master link once I snap the clip on. It helps

to flatten the end of the pins over the clip which helps to hold the clip on.

I always carry two master links and clips just in case.

Cycle Gear has the RK and DID 520's for like $2.50

aluminum sprocket by any chance?

Not saying it was, but in my experience, you can go aluminum on the back sprocket, as long as you replace it with your chain, but aluminum CS sprockets don't hold up

I can't say that I have ever seen an aluminum front sprocket (prolly cuz they wouldn't hold up :huh: ) but once the chain is shot, I replace the whole set anyway. The front sprocket wears out faster than the rear one, but any time you put a fresh chain on an old sprocket, the chain wears out faster than if you put on fresh sprockets. :huh::lol::D

I like aluminum sprockets because they reduce unsprung weight. :blink: If I were constantly riding in mud and goo or wet sand I might like the longer life of steel. Besides, aluminum sprockets look really neat :D

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I just got home from Carlsbads bike night. I talked to Tom Starbuck who is a retired motercycle cop, and is now a Palomar Mountain junkie. He used to ride Palomar every saturday and Sunday even in the rain. He still rides every Sunday.

He has 60,000 miles on his KLR. he has never changed the front sprocket. he has changed his steel rear sprocket twice. He has changed the chain several times.

I know Tommy. I used to ride with him back in the early 90s when he rode his EX500 up to Palomar and then sat in front of the restaurant and watched ballgames on a little portable black and white TV. :lol::lol::lol:

Say "Hi" to him for me :lol:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Its sad when a story about a 5 dollar chain link gets over 260 views and 21 replies. :lol:

I gotta get back to the Cayote Bar. The New Breed is playing tonight. See you all on the trails. Craig. :lol:

I wonder why Hammer thinks it's sad :lol: Not enough responses I suppose. After all. it was important enough for him to post about it and there for a minute after reading the heading.... I thought it might be about his lineage :lol: Sounds like somebody needs a hug. How about it members, group hug for our sad lil pal Hammer :lol: I say If you don't like being sad, you could tell us how many and what kind of responses you require or simply stop posting or reading responses to your own posts....and quit breaking stuff, too.... and don't forget to say "Hi" to Tommy Starbuck for me. :D:D:D And laugh more :D There's nothing worse than you being sad! Have fun :) Stop and smell the roses, but don't get too close or you'll get stung on the nose by a bee :lol: Hope going to the bar cheers you up! And don't get a hangover....it'll make you feel sadder. You love lots of responses to your posts and you know it. :D

:D:D:D:lol::lol::D Aint life grand?