Bummed I missed the last two sand riding sessions due to back to back out of town weddings but I’m ready to go for this weekend…!

My friend stingray and I will probably be heading out to Lark Canyon Saturday morning. Let me know if anyone else is going to be heading out that way or if you have any other suggestions. We have already been out to Lark Canyon twice so we are definitely open to exploring new areas.

Also, you should probably know we are both relative newbees (see our new member posts below).

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1578

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1602

I’m going riding the Mojave with Boat440. ;) Come ride with us. It looks like Steve has set up a great ride. :ph34r:

Roger

I’m going riding the Mojave with Boat440. ;) Come ride with us. It looks like Steve has set up a great ride. :ph34r:

Roger

The Mojave trip sounds like a lot of fun. I would be up for it but I still have the stock gas tank on my drz which I only get about 75-80 miles out of...

You still have until Saturday to change the tank out with a bigger one. ;) This would be a good ride to test the range of the new tank out on. :ph34r:

Roger

Roger

The Mojave trip sounds like a lot of fun. I would be up for it but I still have the stock gas tank on my drz which I only get about 75-80 miles out of...

That's what bungee cords are for.....carry a bit in a gas can/cannister that won't leak on the back of your bike and dump it in after the first ~30 miles......

1 Liter fuel bottle

Ok, here is a solution;

I ride a KLR 650 also know as a rolling gas station. :ph34r: I can bring a siphon hose you can bring one of those 1 liter bottles of gas. Between the 2 of us you should have no problems. There your excuses for not going are gone :D , so I guess we will see you Saturday at 0800 in the morning! ;)

Roger

Ok, here is a solution;

I ride a KLR 650 also know as a rolling gas station. :ph34r: I can bring a siphon hose you can bring one of those 1 liter bottles of gas. Between the 2 of us you should have no problems. There your excuses for not going are gone :D , so I guess we will see you Saturday at 0800 in the morning! ;)

Roger

I am going to re-read the Mojave post...

How many people are going on the trip?

Ask boat440 on who is going. I know I’m going. ;)

I’m also new to the dirt, so if I do something stupid and kill myself you can have all the gas you want! :ph34r:

Hey Pappa I see your reading the post. Come out and ride with us!

Roger

what's in Ramona? anything good?

Bob,

In Ramona that would be Black Canyon!

I know of somebody that fills cleaned oil quarts with gas, and carries them in his backpack.

-he empties them in as soon as he can, then he has a couple of semi soft bumpers...

kevin... thanks for the Ramona info...

Bob,

In Ramona that would be Black Canyon!

By the way, all of the Black Canyon area is steet legal vehicles only. Helicopters are okay Bob :ph34r:

Roger

That's what bungee cords are for.....carry a bit in a gas can/cannister that won't leak on the back of your bike and dump it in after the first ~30 miles......

1 Liter fuel bottle

hhmmmmm... a couple of pipe clamps, and that thing might fit where some people used to have a charcoal canister

Hey James, what time you wanna go ride Saturday? I've got to be somewhere until 10AM, but I can ride after that.

I created a map of my normal Ramona loop in GMAPS Pedometer....it's about ~115 miles (I usually gas up in Santa Isabel which is ~25 miles into the loop)....the map gets a bit sloppy towards the end (broad brush strokes) but you get the idea......what a pain in the A$%.....glad I have a GPS.....

Ramona Loop - Packards/Pamo/Sutherland/Rodriguez/Grapevine/Hideout/Mesa Grande/Black Mtn/Pamo/Packards

I also created .gdb Garmin/GPS route which mirrors the above and attached it as a .txt file (right click it and save it changing the .txt to .gdb and then you'll be able to view it/upload it to your Garmin) :mega_shok:

(This is the same route I took a few of you on in May or June)

Ramona_Loop_Route.txt

Hey James, what time you wanna go ride Saturday? I've got to be somewhere until 10AM, but I can ride after that.

spaugh-

It looks like I'm heading out on the Mojave trip... Hopfully I make it back in one piece to ride again. I know my buddy Stingray is looking for someone to ride with so get in touch with him. Have a good one!

James

Anybody who knows the border fence area planning to ride there tomorrow? (Tecate Mission Rd, Humphries Rd...not sure what the "border ride" consists of.) I haven't been dirt riding at all so I'm looking for something mellow to get back into the post-summer dirt swing.

Zina

(Intermediate-ish rider whose DRZ still mysteriously ends up on the ground a lot.)

Late notice.....but Fred (Snaildarter) and I are going to ride the Ramona Loop/Route I posted tomorrow morning......that way I can replace the "route" I posted with an actual "track"......pretty mellow terrain with exception of small portion of Rodriguez....

We'll be rolling away from Packards (at 7th St.) at 8am if anyone wants to join us......

We oughta be back to Ramona by noon(ish)....

Anybody who knows the border fence area planning to ride there tomorrow? (Tecate Mission Rd, Humphries Rd...not sure what the "border ride" consists of.) I haven't been dirt riding at all so I'm looking for something mellow to get back into the post-summer dirt swing.

Zina

(Intermediate-ish rider whose DRZ still mysteriously ends up on the ground a lot.)

Between Tecate and Campo and further east the road is fairly straight forward, though it is still better to ride in pairs, as a break down could be a few miles from the tarmac.

The more remote border area between Otay Mountain and Barrett Junction is really cool, but better to group ride there as well if possible.

I was planning on heading further east tomorrow, but if plans change I'll PM you.

Zina

Just don't ride close to the fence, watch for thrown rocks. Ride with a buddy, Ride far left if going East and all will be good.

I'll be riding near the border Sat, maybe. We will see tomorrow.

......pretty mellow terrain with exception of small portion of Rodriguez....

I found some Rodriguez Canyon footage on YouTube:

It doesn't look too bad...is it actually a lot steepier/rockier than it looks in the video?

Zina

I was planning on heading further east tomorrow, but if plans change I'll PM you.

I'm intrigued by Chris's ride, but I should probably do some shorter shake-down rides first. I'll probably be around as I won't head out solo (got a solid berating from friends after going out alone once in Ocotillo).

Zina

......pretty mellow terrain with exception of small portion of Rodriguez....

I found some Rodriguez Canyon footage on YouTube:

It doesn't look too bad...is it actually a lot steepier/rockier than it looks in the video?

Zina

Don't sweat it - it's not too bad......folks ride Rodriguez on big bikes/drive it in stock jeeps......no BFD.......not too steep but loose rocks to contend with........I think those U-Tube videos may be from the Rodriguez "Spur" TT which is a more difficult off shoot from Rodriguez that goes up and over the hill.......we'll be riding the main trail which is also identified as the California Riding and Hiking Trail/Mason Truck Trail - take a look at the GMAP I posted and you'll see both trails.

This is a pretty mellow route/ride......any/all are welcome to join us......