mtnmanseth

Last Minute Birthday Baja Trip

Greetings everyone!

First post here. I recently moved to Encinitas from Missoula, Montana and I turn 35 years young on Saturday. I ride a fully farkled/loved 2007 Suzuki DR650 with knobbies and full bags. I've been to 19 countries in our world but I've never been to Mexico. My (few) friends here can't make a last minute Baja excursion work in their schedules so I figured I'd check here...

I want to celebrate my birthday in Baja. I have a motorcycle, passport, all the gear, just have NO IDEA where to go/not go, what to do/not do, etc. I'm thinking Ensenada or San Filipe. I have been too busy with work lately to plan anything so this is an attempt to rally any/all of you for a last minute overnight ride into Mexico THIS WEEKEND. I would love to get out and explore a new place with new folks, I am not picky whatsoever, so if you have been considering a weekend trip and wouldn't mind showing me around I'll buy the first round or ten of beers. I can leave this Friday or Saturday anytime and return Sunday or Monday anytime, completely open.

I know this is last minute, but I'm open to ideas and hopefully one or a few of you can join an adventure with me!

Many Thanks!

Seth

post-15274-016694300 1378846299_thumb.jp

Welcome! I can't offer Mex guidance but plenty here can. I can offer any help you ever need/want on the DR. I have done almost everything there is to do to mine and have some specialty tools.

Happy Birthday and enjoy whatever you do.

Welcome! This is the place to be - do you have access to dualsportmaps.com? If so it is loaded with good riding trails in SD and Baja

This is a great way to experience Baja: http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=105655

Ride:

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15621-2-day-baja-lobster-run-in-june/page__p__150958__hl__lobster__fromsearch__1#entry150958

Ride report:

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15996-2-day-lobster-run-622-23-report/page__p__154570__hl__lobster__fromsearch__1#entry154570

I just committed to going to the Thunder Boats but a quickie Baja trip sounds tempting - lurking....

Thanks TrophyHunter, I may actually need a hand checking the valves on my bike somewhat soon. 7,500 miles, sounds fine, but I think it's time to check 'em, eh? I did buy the tool and am very mechanically inclined, but it sure would be nice to have your experience. I'll be in touch...

Very nice quiver of bikes, Afry! All I gotta say is... BAJA BAJA BAJA BAJA BAJA BAJA BAJA BAJA!!!!!!! :D

Not a bad time to check 'em. They rarely move. Have you done the NSU screws and removed the upper chain roller? I've done 5 NSU screw fixes so we can knock a bunch of stuff out at once if you haven't.

Very nice quiver of bikes, Afry! All I gotta say is... BAJA BAJA BAJA BAJA BAJA BAJA BAJA BAJA!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

Just talked to another member and he has interest - hmmm the wife leaves Wed for 10 days in Europe - who says she can have all the fun? You like lobster and cold beer?

This is just what I'm looking for..just have to get the DR back together. Had my frame welded up today so my luggage issues are no more. I can't help so much for where to go in Baja though.

Roger, the Muffler Man in Oceanside doctored up the frame for $20.

mz8xgiR.jpg

Out of surgery.

nqk2Yxb.jpg

This is just what I'm looking for..just have to get the DR back together. Had my frame welded up today so my luggage issues are no more. I can't help so much for where to go in Baja though.

Roger, the Muffler Man in Oceanside doctored up the frame for $20.

Kris, I have been warned in the past that when welding with mig etc on a bike it is wise to disconnect the negative battery cable so as not to fry your CDI. Not sure this is correct but easy to do - we used to also disconnect the whole ignition box on the race cars when welding.

OK - let's go to BAJA! Lobster run!!! I'll post a ride..........

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16451-2-day-baja-lobster-run-914-15/

...you had me at free beer! :ph34r:/>

Kris, I have been warned in the past that when welding with mig etc on a bike it is wise to disconnect the negative battery cable so as not to fry your CDI. Not sure this is correct but easy to do - we used to also disconnect the whole ignition box on the race cars when welding.

Tried to send you a PM, but your message box is full or something. After asking Ken and some web research, I removed the battery, CDI, and voltage regulator. Lights turn on again, so hopefully it's all good.