Oracle

Running a tube in a tube less tire?

Damn, I just received the Heidenau k60 front tire for my 950 and I realize it's a tube less tire. I can't imagine why any dual sporter would run a tube less tire but maybe there is a reason. Regardless, is there any concern in running a tube in a tube less tire??? Am I missing something here??? Do I need to send it back and get a different tire... :unsure:

TO

It shouldn't hurt anything. The bead was designed for an absolutely air-tight seal, unlike a regular bead, which could not be safely run on a tubeless rim without a tube.

Three of us covered our inner spokes with an aircraft silicon on 950's and ran tubeless tires for years. Easy to fix a flat as breaking the bead on a 950 is no easy task.

Then we just plug the hole like a car tire and off we go.

Or just stick a tube in it.

I have been told that tubeless tires sometimes have ribs within the carcass (visible inside the tire) that potentially could abrade a tube (especially running under lower pressure)

LOTS of reasons to run a tubeless tire off road, the primary one being far reduced risk of pinch flats, allowing running a lower pressure... which translates to a dual sport bike.

Which would you rather repair on the side of the road?... ME? with a centerstand, you can plug and inflate a tubeless tire in seconds, vs 20 minutes+ for a tubed tire

not that I ever get flats, mind you :ph34r:

Ok, thanks all. Now I'm curious how many people are running tube less???

My first thought, remember I'm coming from a MX background where 12 psi was the norm, was that blowing the bead on a square edge hit would be a major concern. But at higher psi maybe that's not as much of a concern as I though?

TO

My first thought, remember I'm coming from a MX background where 12 psi was the norm, was that blowing the bead on a square edge hit would be a major concern. But at higher psi maybe that's not as much of a concern as I though?

TO

Tubeless radial tires for observed trials bikes are designed to run at 5-7 PSI without a problem.

TO

Tubeless radial tires for observed trials bikes are designed to run at 5-7 PSI without a problem.

Copy. That's quite different though. High speed, heavy bikes, compared to low speed, light bikes.

my thoughts: (not all of them, just some of them)

trials tires are higher sidewalls, and softer compound- I can run lower pressure than on other tires (and I STILL run 12-15 pounds, and STILL get pinch flats)

big heavy bike, with tubeless dual sport tires (or in my case street tires)... I run higher pressures

really- plugging a tubeless tire is EASY

My supermoto is tubed with tubeless tires 7000K two sets of tires and one flat from a nail. I run 20 psi up front and 25 psi rear. I ride dirt and street with this setup and haven't seen anything sketchy on the tubes after disassembly. Its alway good to check your rim and tires for anything sharp or abrasive. I run a heavy duty street tube btw.

Slut, you got me thinking about this more and more. I understand the benefits to tube less, just never considered it an option.

These looks super cool... http://www.nuetech.com/

A bit pricey ($99 per wheel), but may be well worth it, especially on a bigger bike where tube changes are more of a PIA.

Slut, you got me thinking about this more and more. I understand the benefits to tube less, just never considered it an option.

A bit pricey ($99 per wheel), but may be well worth it, especially on a bigger bike where tube changes are more of a PIA.

A lot of people LOVE tubeless...for a street bike, it's what I would prefer.

Lots of my mountain bike buddies went tubeless too

1377310682[/url]' post='157549']

these guys are supposed to come out with a new system for big bikes on and off the road this fall - I hope they do.

DR Z runs those. Last ride he went on with us he flated twice. I loaned him a tube and it flated too. Maybe he can chime In and give his two cents worth. DRZ supermotos come with tubes. Bridgestone. You can replace the OEM tire with a sport bike tire and run the tube because the spokes aren't sealed from factory. I have friends that seal and run tubeless but don't off road like I did with my DRZ.

I run 8/6 with a DRZ In sand. It sure doesn't work on the KlR. Never had an issue on a CRF at low pressure. Seems like a tube in a tubeless tire on a heavy bike would be an easy peace of mind.