I got this earlier today as well and I'm interested. What isn't clear is if you can transfer your existing service/contract over to the new device?

I'm interested in the better battery life of the new device but don't want to repay for whole other service contract as I've got 6 months remaining.... <_<

When I went from a V1 to V2, they just added my new contract onto my existing one's tail end, extending it.

Do make copies of everything you send them as I had to fight the rebate company over the last rebate. Took 7 months and some frustration to get $119.

Others may have had better luck with the promo from Dec 2012.

I have the Gen 2, so what's the difference between the basic and enhanced tracking? I guess I have the basic now as I have to manually press a button to send my location.

Seems worth the extra $$ for the updated features and longer battery life (although the Gen 2 had acceptable battery life).

Best price = Best Buy?

UPDATE: Nix that last request: it appears the basic is included, albeit at an additional cost. The service plan is $50 more than the Gen 2 (but includes the $50 plan) if that makes sense.

Annual Service = $99 vs the previous $50, for either unit. My V2 just auto re-newed Basic plus Helo Extraction and lost unit insurance. $130 I think.

Little update on this- the Gen3 units are sold out/backordered everywhere, according to SPOT HQ. It was hinted the rebate that expires 9/30/13 MIGHT be extended, but who knows?

Also, no RAM mounts released until 10/15/2013.

And save me the lecture about keeping the device on your person, I know it.

Little update on this- the Gen3 units are sold out/backordered everywhere, according to SPOT HQ. It was hinted the rebate that expires 9/30/13 MIGHT be extended, but who knows?

Also, no RAM mounts released until 10/15/2013.

And save me the lecture about keeping the device on your person, I know it.

Good info there. Just to add my experience, I ordered my Gen 3 in July from REI's website. It said it was back-ordered, but to my surprise it shipped within a week I'd say. If you know you want one, I'd say order it and it may arrive sooner than expected. Also comes with a caribeener clip/strap so you can get your dangle on. Not sure if the old one's came with any way to attach out of the box.