Logroller

Goggles and Gloves

Looking to buy a new pair of dirt goggles and gloves and I thought I would ask the masses the following;

What goggles and gloves do you own and what are their pros and cons i.e., durability, cost, breathe-ability, moisture wicking, vision clarity, fit, etc?

I've had some brands last for years and other brands not last more than a couple of rides before they start falling apart.

My budget is low and I'd like to keeps things under $50.

Cheers

the cheapest I can find

I rarely wear goggles, except in the desert, better just to hang back out of the dust

for gloves, I seriously buy Home Depot work gloves, or the Fox Pawtectors I think they're called... they have mock-carbon knuckles but a little short of wrist for my liking.

But really, I find Mechanix gloves, and the home depot line gloves work fine for most trail riding; comfort is key

I second the recommendations! I have all mentioned and have really gravitated to the Fox gloves with the "mock" carbon fiber pucks on the knuckles. Wear on them has been better than expected, wicking has been effective, and comfort great w/o the OJ effect. Goggles are another story, don't know if I'll ever like wearing the perfect pair! They all seem to have drawbacks...

I hardly ever wear goggles either, preferring to wear prescription "sport" style glasses most of the time. If I do happen to wear goggles, I like the Spy Alloy model, which I find on close out somewhere. I usually buy clearance gloves too, and like One Industries gloves, as well as Fox. Heck, most all of the gear I buy is clearance stuff. :coolio:

Yup I buy clearance as well, because MSRP or close to that is just ridiculous pricing.

I'm looking for brands/models and why they are good or bad. I have a pair of Fox gloves that many people (not on this forum) raved about, but they don't last worth a darn as I have found out. Then I've had other brands that have taken a beating and held up far better than the Fox model I have on hand. I'm sure there are other Fox models that out perform my pair.

Glove comfort is the key. No extra material at the ends of the fingers, no thick padding on the palm (durable but not excessive thick), tight fit, no easy rip or frays.

Goggles, I'll continue wearing them. Yeah they can have their field of vision limits, but they protect my eyes and face better from dust and debris. I guess the biggest thing with goggles is vision clarity, foam quality and breathe-ability (no fogging).

More input please. :)

Oakley O frame goggles and the vented dual pane replacement lens is my favorite goggle setup. They last a long time and they don't fog up especially if you buy the vented dual panel lens.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/439/717/-/7511/Oakley-O-Frame-Goggle?term=oakley%20o%20frame

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/439/823/-/7518/Oakley-O-Pro-Frame-Replacement-Lens

Troy lee gloves seem to fit the best and last the longest.

Not the cheapest stuff I realize but worth it IMO. I usually get clearance jersey and pants but go for good boots, helmet, goggles, and gloves.

Here's my steeez...

Dickies pants, grey Hanes T-shirt (w/pocket) 10 pack from Walmart, Oakley $40 goggles cause replacement lens are $8 and can be found just about anywhere. Mechanix camo glove part number MG-71-008, boots and bike both from Craigslist and a helmet cause the law makes me.

I know most of this is overkill cause as a kid I wore half as much gear and still lived to tell about it. I must be getting soft in my older state.

SV

Oakley O frame goggles and the vented dual pane replacement lens is my favorite goggle setup. They last a long time and they don't fog up especially if you buy the vented dual panel lens.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/439/717/-/7511/Oakley-O-Frame-Goggle?term=oakley%20o%20frame

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/439/823/-/7518/Oakley-O-Pro-Frame-Replacement-Lens

Troy lee gloves seem to fit the best and last the longest.

Not the cheapest stuff I realize but worth it IMO. I usually get clearance jersey and pants but go for good boots, helmet, goggles, and gloves.

Yeah, I think my older pair were Troy Lee Designs and lasted years longer and took some nasty beatings (asphalt action) than my Fox gloves.

"Cheap" and "inexpensive" are not synonymous with the model, but it has some cool features.

sometimes they have the O frames on sale over at FBC for 20$.

also check out the "oakley enduro O frame goggles". Thats basically what I've got. O frames with the vented dual pane lens.

For gloves it depends on what and where you ride and what protection (handguards) you use, personally a big fan of fox as they wear great and super comfortable so dirtpaws are great if you don't have roost or have handguards whereas pawtectors etc. give more protection at a price if you need it but look around and you can get some great deals especially on last years models (color differences).

For goggles oakleys are great but I have found scott products to be fantastic so generally use them. Many different models and huge number of different lenses, I prefer and find the higher end models are worth the extra being more comfortable foam which is thicker and absorbs sweat better, my favorite is the pro air model but that seems to have been discontinued for some reason. For wet or humid conditions I add on habervision automatic fan to prevent fogging plus roll offs.

I have Fox dirtpaws and while they are comfortable and a great fit, the material tears or frays too easily. At least that is my experience with the one pair I own. Tons of people like them, but I'm a bit disappointed how quick they presented issues within the first few uses.

Pro Grip goggles and Troy Lee gloves. I love the transitional lenses in my pro grips and the fit and finish is top notch. Troy Lee gloves have outlasted anything i've had over the years.

+1 for the Fox Dirt Paws for gloves, but gloves really depend on your hands and type of riding. I would personally go try them on. For me the dirtpaws have always fit great and seem to last longer than others I have tried.

+1 for Spy Alloy. With goggles, I try to find one I like and stick with it. Then you can buy different lenses and not have to trash them if you buy a different brand. Spy also makes a dual lense for snowboarding that fits the Alloy if you have an issue with fog.

I prefer leather over synthetic, but the synthetic don't tear after multiple rain rides.

Scott googles go on Sale cheap.