97xr400r

Aerodynamic tuning of windscreens

I recently got a "larger" windscreen for my NC and am disappointed in its 65+ mph performance! I foolishly assumed it would be great and set out on an 800 mile trip without testing, one hour in and I was shocked! At 70 mph sitting upright it's like holding a flippin out of balance drill motor against my helmet! :crazy: I'm not kidding when I say it blurred my vision! I was able to find relief by leaning in behind the screen but that gets old real fast. I've been doing some research and find myself running into laminar flow principles vs turbulent flow repeatedly.

http://blog.nialbarker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/laminar_turbulent_flow.gif

http://www.laminarlip.com/flo2.gif

Does anybody here have experience with tuning out turbulence on there bikes windscreen? Any advice or parts I can experiment with would be greatly appreciated, I just don't want to spend any money only to find out the item doesn't work for my application. Thanks guys and gals! :angel:

I read a lot of opinions before I bought the Zero Gravity Double Bouble for the KLR. Lots of feed back. Seems that some of the bigger windscreens didnt always offer the best ride. Originally I was gonna get a Moose aftermarket windscreen but after reading settled for a second on sale online from a 0-gravity dealer. replacing my front fender seemed to help to. it was a sail and doesnt make sense at first glance, but it did help.

Back in the Days of owning an FJR, I spent a significant amount of time "tuning" the screen. The main thing is to get air Under the screen to limit the tumble of air Over the screen.

Drilled 3/4" holes, used a Laminar Lip foil attached with velcro, stuff like that. In the end the screen just kept getting shorter and shorter. As I remember, the ADV Brainiacs advised

"Go really big or really small." I chose to go small.

P1020812_1000w-L.jpg

Laminar Lip. GOOGLE it. The best accessories on my BMW.

cool. thanks guys, I'll let you know what I wind up doing.