Joliet

Saturday 9-22 Sand riding practice

For all you riders who are a little intimidated by the sand, here is your chance for some instruction and practice without having to worry about holding up the group.

For all you riders who are a little more experienced, here is your chance to give back a little to the sport and share some of your experience.

This will also be a good chance to get to know some of your fellow riders.

When: 8:00 am ready to ride at 8:30

Where: Ocotillo, 76 station on the 8 freeway (not Ocotillo Wells) If you haven't been there you can't miss it.

Just head east on the 8, when you drop down into the desert it is the first town you come to. Imperial hwy/ S2 exit. You can see the 76 station from the freeway. Exit at Ocotillo and go right (south) a couple of hundred yards and park in the big parking lot.

What to bring: Water, I suggest a hydro pack that holds 100 oz. Safety gear- bring what you have. This is a good chance to see what the other riders are wearing and ask lots of questions. Show up even if you don't think you have the right gear, this is the place to learn. Knobbies, you are not going to want to ride in the sand with street tires, but if you are I will bring my camera :scratch_one-s_head: .

I plan to eat lunch at the restaurant in Ocotillo, but you are welcome to bring your own. I will bring a cooler with cold drinks and I suggest others to do the same.

The high is supposed to be 88 out there on Saturday and it is too dry to ride anywhere else. After a couple hours of practicing we can take an easy cruise in the state park.

I plan on being out of there around 2 or 3 and back home long before dark.

You guys with trucks and trailers, speak up if you have room for another bike or 2 so we can get some carpool action going.

Post if you plan on going and feel free to comment or ask questions. <_< Ken

Hmmm, sounds like a great opportunity for the less than sand friendly members to raise their comfort levels a bit. Riding in the sand is pretty easy if you do it properly, and really hard if you do it wrong. There are also lots of whoops in that area, and there are some simple techniques that make handling those easy also. I hope there is a good response to this offer, I'll see you there :scratch_one-s_head:

I'm in...missed sand...see everybody there. :scratch_one-s_head:

PS: Ken, do you plan on going to Superstitious dunes? If yes, I have to put a new rear tire.

If its superstition Im in.You know I love sand.. :scratch_one-s_head:

...and feel free to comment or ask questions. :unsure: Ken

What's the third item on the menu? :scratch_one-s_head:

I have ridden and raced sand since 1972 and I still hate it unless I'm going at least 50 miles per hour. :scratch_one-s_head: I don't know if I'd be a teacher or a student. It looks more and more like we might get some rain before Saturday, but I might join you guys :unsure:

I'm in, I need help in sand.

I'll loan you a set of training wheels. :scratch_one-s_head: Then you won't have to concentrate so much on technique!

I'll loan you a set of training wheels. :unsure: Then you won't have to concentrate so much on technique!

:scratch_one-s_head: As long as they are as fat as ATC tires I might stay up... ummmm no, I think you have to ride next to me so if I fall I will have a little cushion to land on. Make sure you ware a color coordinated outfit that will match my DR so you will look good laying under me and my bike !!! :fool: :huh:

I'll loan you a set of training wheels. :fool: Then you won't have to concentrate so much on technique!

:unsure: As long as they are as fat as ATC tires I might stay up... ummmm no, I think you have to ride next to me so if I fall I will have a little cushion to land on. Make sure you ware a color coordinated outfit that will match my DR so you will look good laying under me and my bike !!! :huh::o

Hhhmmmm, methinks I'd have to wear a red outfit to coordinate with the amount of blood loss that would be incurred if I were to end up under your "tanker" :scratch_one-s_head:

"Ken,

Why DRZ? Is the orange machine OK?

papa."

The KTM is running good, but the DRZ is good in the sand too, and it has not been ridden for a while. I am going to put a different carb. on the DRZ and rejet this week. Who knows, I might just sell both of my bikes and get a new Husky. Just trying to spread the love. :scratch_one-s_head: Ken

"Ken,

Why DRZ? Is the orange machine OK?

papa."

The KTM is running good, but the DRZ is good in the sand too, and it has not been ridden for a while. I am going to put a different carb. on the DRZ and rejet this week. Who knows, I might just sell both of my bikes and get a new Husky. Just trying to spread the love. :scratch_one-s_head: Ken

Im up for some sand blasting Ken. Any idea where you were going to practice? Should I Pyro down, or truck it? Im not sure if I can make the meet time but might be able to catch up with you guys if you have a direction in mind. I think this is a great idea. Good time of year to learn the sand, we've got all desert season ahead of us.

:unsure:

Im up for some sand blasting Ken. Any idea where you were going to practice? Should I Pyro down, or truck it? Im not sure if I can make the meet time but might be able to catch up with you guys if you have a direction in mind. I think this is a great idea. Good time of year to learn the sand, we've got all desert season ahead of us.

I haven't been out there for quite a while, so I will have to get there early and do some recon. I will leave a note on my truck letting anyone who gets there late know how to find us.

After practicing some want to go to Superstition/sand dam area for some deep sand riding. Taking the easy route that is only about 25 miles away. Another possibility is to take the route through Painted Gorge to Superstition like we did when prerunning for the Desert Dash. Some sand whoops and scenery on that route. There is also the ever popular "Carguy loop" through the state park. Possibly even prerun part of the "beach to the river" ride.

It will depend on who is there, what they want to do, what they are riding, and their skill level. If there are lots of us we might split into 2 groups.

Look forward to seeing you out there. :scratch_one-s_head: Ken

I haven't been out there for quite a while, so I will have to get there early and do some recon. I will leave a note on my truck letting anyone who gets there late know how to find us.

After practicing some want to go to Superstition/sand dam area for some deep sand riding. Taking the easy route that is only about 25 miles away. Another possibility is to take the route through Painted Gorge to Superstition like we did when prerunning for the Desert Dash. Some sand whoops and scenery on that route. There is also the ever popular "Carguy loop" through the state park. Possibly even prerun part of the "beach to the river" ride.

It will depend on who is there, what they want to do, what they are riding, and their skill level. If there are lots of us we might split into 2 groups.

Look forward to seeing you out there. :scratch_one-s_head: Ken

Superstition via Painted Gorge is always fun! I'll try my hardest to meet up with you guys at the station. But dont wait for me. If I dont find you Ill blast out to Supersitions.

This will be a great time for me to get to know you guys. I'm getting pretty serious about selling my ZX10 sportbike and joining up with you fellers. I've got enough riding gear to get by, sportbike boots, leather pants. I can probably borrow a MX helmet from our sister company, NiteRider Bike lights, next door. Maybe even some wimpy little gloves like you guys wear.

I’ve got one E150 van, one chock, a ramp and tie downs – and no bike! I live in Carmel Valley near Del Mar. If anyone REALLY needs a ride, I’m game! Ken, call me. 858 414-2289

post-2248-1190246101_thumb.jpg

Sand huh? If anyone wants training on how to endo off a dune and get a concussion, then just ask me. Last Friday me and a couple buddys decided to do a night run at superstition.... Or so they tell me.

I remember leaving Lakeside and a little bit of the drive out to the desert but after that, my only recollection Is sitting in my wifes car being drivin to the hospital.... and being very confused about why I had a headache.

Oh well, Im fine now....but I think I will sit out this trip to the sand. I will catch up with y'all next time, have fun.

Sand huh? If anyone wants training on how to endo off a dune and get a concussion, then just ask me. Last Friday me and a couple buddys decided to do a night run at superstition.... Or so they tell me.

I remember leaving Lakeside and a little bit of the drive out to the desert but after that, my only recollection Is sitting in my wifes car being drivin to the hospital.... and being very confused about why I had a headache.

Oh well, Im fine now....but I think I will sit out this trip to the sand. I will catch up with y'all next time, have fun.

Hey Terrible, that's terrible! :angry: Glad you are alright now. I think I'll take another look at what kind of helmet you were wearing in the night ride photos from the 25th. Maybe I won't buy that model....or I could just avoid endoes :angry:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I am going to scip this one. I lower my tire pressure for sand to 10 psi. front 13 psi. rear, sit on the fender and hold the throttle wide open. This way you float on top of the sand (no problem) :angry:

THAT'S the problem with concussions... You can't really remember exactly what you did wrong, so you end up doing it again.

That's the real reason you ride with people... so they can tell you how stupid you were... in my case, not yours Tom

I am going to scip this one. I lower my tire pressure for sand to 10 psi. front 13 psi. rear, sit on the fender and hold the throttle wide open. This way you float on top of the sand (no problem) :angry:

Thanks for the tips, too bad your not comming, we could use your expertise for training. The ride part might not be to your liking unless we could split into a couple of groups, blazing freeking fast, and slow.

Next time, :angry: Ken

Looks like a definate maybe.

With the rain, it will make it better for those that don't like sand. It gets tight and fun. No dust.

Looking at the radar, It just got soaked!! :angry::angry:;)

8am 76/Texico or what ever it is station.

I talked with the guys from C&D Ccle today and they said tomorrow could be epic as the dust will be low. If it sprinkles (weather.com say no), all the better! I'm showing up with a little riding gear and a big "How ya' doin" smile.