Chief Gunner

My XR650L now has a split personality........

I went off the deep end and bought an SM conversion kit for the pig last night. Since I ride it to work everyday the Pirelli MT-21's only last about 1000 miles or so before they are trashed. I talked about doing this before but finally did it. I'll throw some pics up as soon as UPS delivers my goods.

Here is a link to the place I got the kit, The have them for DR650's, KLR's and allot of other bikes.

http://www.motostrano.com/sucokihoxr.html

I went off the deep end and bought an SM conversion kit for the pig last night. Since I ride it to work everyday the Pirelli MT-21's only last about 1000 miles or so before they are trashed. I talked about doing this before but finally did it. I'll throw some pics up as soon as UPS delivers my goods.

Here is a link to the place I got the kit, The have them for DR650's, KLR's and allot of other bikes.

http://www.motostrano.com/sucokihoxr.html

You wont believe how smooth our dualsports can be with a set of street tires and sticky too.

I've been considering doing the same thing for my Pig BUT won't it be a bit of pain in the arse to swap out the wheels every time you want to ride on the dirt? And the cost too, you could buy a lot (by my calculations 24) of MT-21s. And lastly, I've always felt the gearing was the biggest problem for commuting. It seems that at 70 - 75 the engine is really revving. Are you going with a smaller sprocket on the supermoto wheel?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea and would love for my Pig to be more commute friendly. I just haven't figured out a convenient way to do it. Convince me to do the same thing Guns!!

Good show Guns!!! You're gonna love it :o:):D

By my count we now have a Supermoto foursome :unsure: :scratch_one-s_head: :angry:<_<

When will you get the kit? Time to post a ride!

Yes you have gone off the deep end! I would expect nothing less from the KING OF BLING. Be safe!

I've been considering doing the same thing for my Pig BUT won't it be a bit of pain in the arse to swap out the wheels every time you want to ride on the dirt? And the cost too, you could buy a lot (by my calculations 24) of MT-21s. And lastly, I've always felt the gearing was the biggest problem for commuting. It seems that at 70 - 75 the engine is really revving. Are you going with a smaller sprocket on the supermoto wheel?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea and would love for my Pig to be more commute friendly. I just haven't figured out a convenient way to do it. Convince me to do the same thing Guns!!

I have a drz with a sm setup and it is not that hard to swap the wheels. It takes about 30 minutes.

The wheels you get have value and can be sold if you ever want to. I know just the used wheels from my setup, excel - talon, regularly get around $1,000 even though they are just over that new. You can also get other brands of wheels for less.

Many people change the counter sprocket with the sm setup to get more of a gearing change while keeping the same chain.

I didn't have $1800 laying around to spend on making my L a motard commuter (Heck, a brand new Honda Rebel is $3200) so I went cheap, and have been pretty happy with the outcome. I found a couple rims on eBay, moved my stock 45 tooth sprocket to it and threw some 50/50 tires on (IRC GP-110's, but when they wear out I'm going to go for some more streetly tires) them and roll. I bought a 48 tooth rear sprocket and a 14 tooth front for my dirt setup. It takes me 15-20 minutes to swap the tires and sprockets out and adjust the chain. Easily doable to go from street to dirt.

I realize I don't get all the advantages of motard, but it was realatively cheap, saves wear on my dirt knobbies (running MT-21's on the dirt rims), handles quite a bit better, and keeps the rev's down on the highway (I run 70-75, no problem). Lately though, I've been toying with the idea of taking the rims off the hubs of my street rims and lacing some 17" rims up. That'd cost about $800 if I let a shop do the lacing and I just use the current rotors.

Too many projects/ideas, not enough time/money... :scratch_one-s_head:

By the way Gunner, looks great - let us know how it all turns out!!!

I have an extra set of rims for most of my bikes. The wheel swap is quick and easy. I have the GS500 rims for my DRZ and a spare set of 18/21 rims for my DR350 that I run steet tires on. My WR400 spare rims have DOT dual sport tires. If you watch Ebay or other motorcycle forums you can get a set of rims fairly reasonable. I ended up making money on my GS500 rims since I parted out the bike!

With rex' and 'Dug that makes 5 and 7/8 Supermotos (only because 'Dug doesn't have a phat set of 17's, but he's a really cool cat so he gets almost full Supermoto credit :scratch_one-s_head: )... When does the super blingy pig set-up arrive? I wanna ride!!!

It sounds like it's less of a pain to swap the wheels than I thought it would be. I think I'm more inclined to go the route Dig Dug took and just put street friendly tires on a spare set of stock rims. Hmmn, anyone got a set they don't need??

Cowabunga! Thats a plunge. Can't wait to see it, let me know if you'd like help with the installation.

Jon

Thanks for the feedback guys :scratch_one-s_head: . I should get the kit in a week or so and I'll be up for some twistie rides with ya's soon!

I'm going to try a stock 45T sprocket to start with, might go bigger (16T) on the primary sprocket for street riding and swap out to a 14T for dirt later.

The only pain in the butt I see with swapping the motard wheels for the stockers is removing the caliper bracket and swapping the calipers when I switch to the stock wheels. The kit comes with a 320mm rotor and a new caliper and bracket.

I'm also going to put the stock tank back on with the motard set up, that 6 gal "Mongo" tank will detract from the handling characteristics I am after on the street (not to mention it will look fugly as hell) so I'll save that for our long distance trail rides.

Since I know nothing about SM tires I looked up the tires the kit comes with, they look sticky, I hope they are good. Continental C-Force Supermoto's.....

ContiCForce.jpg

I can wait to get it all together and ride it. <_<

Aaron

the pilot powers are a popular choice for sm. I am running them now and they are great, good wear and enough grip for the street or track.

I also run michelin pilots they are sticky

I was considering doing the same with my husky TE450 (getting the motard setup). I just wonder what kind of trouble I'm going to get riding motard style on the stree! :scratch_one-s_head: :unsure: I have not checked prices on the kit yet, but will check on the TE forum at thumpertalk.