Did some exploring in Rainbow (short distance from Fallbrook in north county for those unfamiliar) this evening. I rode up last weekend after a quick trip to the gas station turned into "what's down this road," and then a "how did I end up here." However, I found a spot that presented one of the most scenic sunsets I've ever seen. I was kicking myself because I didn't have my camera with me, but I got a chance to go back up and take some decent pictures this afternoon.

Leaving around 7, I immediately got stuck behind a beat up '90s Honda civic that was blowing smoke (out of the exhaust, of course :rolleyes:) and full of Mexicans driving 10 under the limit. :dead:

Feeling rushed because the sun was now setting, I passed the cage and hurried up the road. I stopped for one pic on the way up. It was a short section of dirt road, but ended at the most scenic part.

DSCF0096_zps3623c732.jpg

Made it to the top of the hill. The sun was setting as I put my kickstand down. The shots still don't capture the moment too well, but they're better than phone pics. It was one of those moments when I was reminded of why I bought a dual sport: to experience the little gems that few others will have a chance to see.

DSCF0094_zpsf072d1ad.jpg

DSCF0095_zps01b85a3f.jpg

Basking in the red light. It'll be getting a new Wolfman tail bag next week. :)

DSCF0118_zps6784a492.jpg

This shot shows a little farther south. The ocean was visible last weekend. This time it was a little cooler and there was a bit of haze coming off the water.

DSCF0119_zpsa6e8e813.jpg

In this shot, you can see the De Luz fire department's watch tower sitting on the plateau. They have quite a view from that tower.

DSCF00992_zps6d9a4d6b.jpg

See the highest peak on the horizon? That's Santiago peak. It's hard to tell from the picture, but I could clearly make out the distinctive towers on top.

DSCF0111_zpsa3c7b098.jpg

You can make out the silhouette nicely in this one. Only a sliver of the top is visible; there are closer rolling hills blocking the lower portion.

DSCF0116_zps9d1fdc31.jpg

I-15 was visible.

DSCF01051_zpsc60e1202.jpg

By now, it's getting dark and the stock E model headlight on my DRZ is pitiful. I would have been safer with a couple flashlights taped to the bars, but upon reaching the main road again, a deeply moving philosophical question entered my mind: "where does that dirt road lead?"

Well, it goes here, or at least passes through here. Actually, the end was nothing special, but this was a nice shot heading back to the main road. It was much darker in person. I had to adjust the camera settings a bit to take in this much light.

DSCF0130_zps74e4cf2c.jpg

Seeing little Rainbow from a different perspective.

DSCF0120_zps0afb3467.jpg

Just after getting onto Rainbow Peaks Road, I grabbed a handful of brake seeing the moon just cresting the hill. I couldn't miss that shot.

DSCF0137_zps887230bf.jpg

I didn't realize bigfoot was watching me, or maybe it was a werewolf. :heh:

DSCF0144_zpsef7b1275.jpg

Ride safe everyone, and remember to stop and smell the roses.

Nice solo ride! That's good stuff out there, thanks for sharing!

I've been spending a fair amount of time exporing east and north of Rainbow over the last few months. Lots of goodies and some super secret hidden treasure out there.

DezRunner, looks like you found a road or two I haven't been on yet.

post-3850-098137900 1369498328_thumb.jpg

post-3850-084796200 1369498329_thumb.jpg

post-3850-055512400 1369498330_thumb.jpg

Nice ! Thanks for sharing.

Graphic Information System Nerd,

You Are quite Sneeky.

ohmy.gif

Glad you guys enjoyed the pics. Personally, I find aimless solo rides like this to be the most rewarding. Last week, I left with a headache and came home feeling completely stress free. I don't know of any better medicine than motorcycles.

Yes, there is a lot to explore out there Sneeker. It looks like you've also found some "roads" that I haven't been on. Do you know if there is a way to connect Rice canyon and Pala Temecula Road? PM if you'd like.

what a sunset/view. How far is santiago peak from where you took the pic?