jlsche0

newbee here...

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to off-roading in general. I just got a drz400s after my 2004 R6 was stolen! I was actually out @ McCain Valley this past weekend on Saturday for my first run in the dirt… The sand took a little getting use to in the parking lot but the trails were a lot of fun… Anyway I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I will keep my eye on the 'informal ride' section for any beginner rides and hopefully i can get to meet you all soon...

Thanks,

James

Here is a shot from last weekend in case anyone was out there and saw me tooling around looking like i dont know what i'm doing...

post-2065-1189637427_thumb.jpg

Hmmm <_< you look suspiciously new to dirt in that photo. I think the leather sport jacket and "civilian shoes" gave you away :D Anyway, welcome. There will be lots of fun rides for you to go on with this group.

Welcome jlsche0 :D Lots of opportunity here for the noob to ride with and learn from the more experienced guys. Bummer about the R6, but I'm glad to see you're in the dirt now - I think it's safer here <_< Don't forget that the Desert Dash 2008 is just around the corner :D Looking forward to meeting and riding with you soon-

Thanks for the warm welcome Orange. I could definetly use some direction from an 'experienced rider'...

Also, thanks dirt dame... (I'm going to get some boots tomorrow afternoon)

Good move on the boot purchase! Dont forget some cheap knee insurance while you are selecting some boots. A 30$ pair of knee guards will make an otherwise owie fall into one of little concern. See you soon on one of our rides <_<

Welcome James. If you know what kind of gear you want or need by all means go buy it. Personally I would go on a couple of nice easy rides and talk to some of the other guys and get some opinions on what to wear, carry, ect. There is a lot of experience here with this group, use it to your advantage. There isn't one of us that hasen't bought some gear that just sits in a closet or garage and was a waste of money.

What city are you in? If you are close to Vista you are welcome to come by the shop sometime and check out the mods I have done to my DRZ. I can also show you what gear I ride in and tell you what some of the others use.

There are some modifications that should be done to DRZ's for reliability, safety, power, ect. Thumpertalk.com has great information on these, and I can help you with questions you may have.

There are some good deals out there on equipment if you know where to look. Here are a couple of links to get you started, look for closeouts. I try to support some of the local shops, but I also need to save money when I can. PM me if you have any questions. Ken

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/catalog.htm

http://www.rockymoto.com/index.htm

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/home.do;js...D950D.westring1

Welcome, good to see another member with the faster colored DRZ.

If you haven't picked up any gear yet, there are a lot of sales this time of year. MotoWorld El Cajon has a moonlight madness sale in the fall, all kinds of cheap gear there. Cycle Parts West always has good discounts and does weekend sales every few months. I found some really cheap boots online ($25!) from Dennis Kirk, they didn't have my size but they had a few sizes up from my son's so I got a few of them for next year or the year after. If anyone needs size 6,7 or 8 boots this is a deal.

http://denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/...tId=&mmyId=

See you on the trail.

Welcome, good to see another member with the faster colored DRZ.

If you haven't picked up any gear yet, there are a lot of sales this time of year. MotoWorld El Cajon has a moonlight madness sale in the fall, all kinds of cheap gear there. Cycle Parts West always has good discounts and does weekend sales every few months. I found some really cheap boots online ($25!) from Dennis Kirk, they didn't have my size but they had a few sizes up from my son's so I got a few of them for next year or the year after. If anyone needs size 6,7 or 8 boots this is a deal.

http://denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/...tId=&mmyId=

See you on the trail.

Wow, sweet deal on boots......just bought a pair for my gal-pal <_<

Thanks for the info/link

Thanks again everyone for the welcome and the tips!

dirtdame:

i will keep my eye out for some knee pads

Joliet:

thanks for the links i have added them to my favorites and will continue to check them for deals. also, i live in the golden hill area (more downtown San Diego) but next time i am out that way i will definetly stop by and say hi.

tntmo:

unfortunetly, i will not fit a size 6,7 or 8 but i do like denniskirk, and i will look for you out on the trails.

Welcome ilscheO things might seem a little slow on the rider posts right now because of all the closures in the county , but fall is coming and hopefully some rain. I like your choice of bikes the riders in the club that own them say their good dualsports. The Doc.

You'll have more fun trying to go 30mph offroad than 130 on-road with the R6, trust me, I've tried both...also fewer lacerations, and the speeding tickets/helicopters cops are far fewer offroad :blink: Glad you're starting, just get on a few rides with friendly people who can show you the trails, and keep a good attitude...welcome!