Sign in to follow this  
Metal Twister

Ramona to Santa Rosa Peak

I was asked to post a ride for Jim Martin (Martoon). He is riding with a friend and anyone else who would like to attend. Jim rides a KTM 950 so it probably is going to be a big boy ride, or at least the ride will be geared for the larger bikes. He would like to meet up at the Circle K on the main street of Ramona. Just across from the street from Packards. He plans to leave Circle K at 8:30am making the destination point Santa Rosa Peak. Jim is a new member here but cant post as of yet. I will relay any info you may have to him. Thanks Bob

Sounds like fun ! ! !

If I can get a new tire tomorrow,

I'll see ya'll there !

I was asked to post a ride for Jim Martin (Martoon)

Welcome to SDAR Jim. I knew a Jim Martin in Elementary School, Do you have a brother named Joe? Sorry I can't ride since I will be in Vegas this weekend.

I was asked to post a ride for Jim Martin (Martoon)

Welcome to SDAR Jim. I knew a Jim Martin in Elementary School, Do you have a brother named Joe? Sorry I can't ride since I will be in Vegas this weekend.

Being that Jim cant speak for himself :D I will field these questions. Jim Martoon has two brothers, Rob, and Ed. Jims dad "Lee" was a bike racer from way back in the Trimph/BSA days. I grew up in there garage with them Tweeking our Bulltacos, CZ's, and Huskys back to health. They lived in the Casa De Oro area during there high school years.

As for the % of dirt to road. Id have to say 75% street, 25% dirt. Just a guess though!

Where is Santa Rosa Peak?

I believe our APRIL FOOLS RIDE went there,just east of the 371 and 74 x-st. Near idylwild?

Where is Santa Rosa Peak?

I believe our APRIL FOOLS RIDE went there,just east of the 371 and 74 x-st. Near idylwild?

That would be the one.

read "The april fools" under ride write ups, stories and photos, santa rosa peak is about 4 miles east of the 371 and 74.We had a blast that day and ended up at santa rosa peak.Great views.

Would this ride be suitable for a Newbie to dirt on a KLR650? Or should I wait for another ride?

Roger

Would this ride be suitable for a Newbie to dirt on a KLR650? Or should I wait for another ride?

Roger

Im not sure Roger, Ive never made it to the Peak. Last time I tried by bike siezed up tight leaving me a few miles short. Knowing Jim I would have to guess it will be a fairly quick pace. and I just cant speak as far as the off road conditions. I will try to contact him tonight, if I get intouch with him I will pm you.

I drove my Silverado pickup up there last year. Crew cab - short bed. No problems. It's a fairly well graded dirt road for pretty much the climb. The only difficult section is right at the end (probably the last 1/4 mile to the tower if you go that far) where it gets rocky and steeper. I would think it would be no problem at all on a KLR even if you have to hoof it for the last section (we did when we drove the truck up there).

I enjoyed the heck out of it and was wishing I was on a bike the whole time. From the top you can look to the north and see Palm Springs. Look to the south and you can see Borrego Springs. You're the highest thing around - like flying in a plane.

Here's a link to a mountain bikers site on the trail: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/SantaRosaMt.htm

Looks like a great view. Sorry to miss this one. I will put it on the list of routes to do.

BAGSTR