Logroller

Radiator Brace Input Request

Looking to get some radiator braces for the Husky - 2006 TE450.

I'm might have it narrowed down to two brands. Any input on these or other brands i.e., protection, air flow, durability, fitment, fan attachment issues, aftermarket tank issues, etc.

The 7602 seems like it might be more sturdy than the Enduro Engineering as it has 3 crossbars.

Enduro Engineering

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-Radiator-Braces-2004-2012-All-Except-449-511-610-Enduro-Engineering-/271166983824#shId

and

http://7602racing.com/prod_radiator_brace_husky.php

I'm might have it narrowed down to two brands. Any input on these or other brands i.e., protection, air flow, durability, etc.

The 7602 seems like it might be more sturdy than the Enduro Engineering as it has 3 crossbars.

Enduro Engineering

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-Radiator-Braces-2004-2012-All-Except-449-511-610-Enduro-Engineering-/271166983824#shId

and

http://7602racing.com/prod_radiator_brace_husky.php

Personally I am going to say save your money ! I feel the braces cause more problems then they stop. Just my two cents. That being said my experience with other enduro eng products has been positive. Built pretty stout.

hobiee,

That was vague, can you be more specific with your Enduro Engineering Rad Brace problems.

I tell ya, my rads are not strong enough to take a blow and the tabs are already ripped off on one side. Husky just didn't put enough aluminum in the right spots.

LogRoller-

Rad braces are good...as long as they retain the oem air flow engineered louvers it has always been my OPINION that many of the O-heat issues among dirtbikes are caused by the non louvered cage type rad guards. I've never seen any factory or race team bikes without the louvers on. The race team bikes can and will (see JCR Honda) use screen material in front of the louvers to keep out rocks and sticks but they all have the factory air flow engineered louvers installed..

That is my opinion based upon what the pros use. You want a higher pressure in front and lower pressure behind so air flows through the rad, a fan can help as well for the really slow speed stuff. Also one can use a non-aqueous coolant like XF from ZipTy racing which is an Evans brand high boil point non aqueous coolant to keep boil overs at bay..

The way the rad braces save you is not from hard crashes where not much can keep things good, but for those off balance tips into the rocks that crush the rad from the side and make you lose rows and rad efficiency ad can pop small holes in them.

I've personally used EE guards but there are other choices as well like the French made CRD for example.

I used CRD P/N 6100 on my 06 TE450, these are what the CH racing factory enduro team used.

http://crd-international.com/Renfort-de-radiateur-Gamme-Pro-Rider-Husqvarna-450-TE-moto_ma_13_140_26_6100.html

or 11-131 EE guards will be a good solution as well, Im a big fan of Al Randt the EE owner .

Then you can install the anchor nut clips onto them to attach your rad side covers. I'll see if I have some old fotos of my installation from the 06 TE450

PS Husky doesnt build radiators they source them at that time from 3 different vendors one of which is KTM (who does manufactor raditors) Arexons (of formula one car fame) is another the 3rd escapes me, but it might be Japanese. They are all about light weight and mimimal alloy material.

LogRoller-

Rad braces are good...as long as they retain the oem air flow engineered louvers it has always been my OPINION that many of the O-heat issues among dirtbikes are caused by the non louvered cage type rad guards. I've never seen any factory or race team bikes without the louvers on. The race team bikes can and will (see JCR Honda) use screen material in front of the louvers to keep out rocks and sticks but they all have the factory air flow engineered louvers installed..

That is my opinion based upon what the pros use. You want a higher pressure in front and lower pressure behind so air flows through the rad, a fan can help as well for the really slow speed stuff. Also one can use a non-aqueous coolant like XF from ZipTy racing which is an Evans brand high boil point non aqueous coolant to keep boil overs at bay..

The way the rad braces save you is not from hard crashes where not much can keep things good, but for those off balance tips into the rocks that crush the rad from the side and make you lose rows and rad efficiency ad can pop small holes in them.

I've personally used EE guards but there are other choices as well like the French made CRD for example.

I used CRD P/N 6100 on my 06 TE450, these are what the CH racing factory enduro team used.

http://crd-international.com/Renfort-de-radiateur-Gamme-Pro-Rider-Husqvarna-450-TE-moto_ma_13_140_26_6100.html

or 11-131 EE guards will be a good solution as well, Im a big fan of Al Randt the EE owner .

Then you can install the anchor nut clips onto them to attach your rad side covers. I'll see if I have some old fotos of my installation from the 06 TE450

PS Husky doesnt build radiators they source them at that time from 3 different vendors one of which is KTM (who does manufactor raditors) Arexons (of formula one car fame) is another the 3rd escapes me, but it might be Japanese. They are all about light weight and mimimal alloy material.

Thanks Robert.

Yeah I know radiators and braces for that matter are not made or meant to take hard strikes. Realistically, I just want that little extra protection like they are meant for. I've read stories of guys dropping their bikes (without forward movement) with Rad braces and still having their rad get tweaked. Nothing is full proof right, but it just seems advantageous to have that little extra solid metal for that extra tender crucial area.

The little extra weight makes no difference to me either. But yeah, I know why bike rads are made the way they are. If Husky or any other manufacturer really wanted tank proof rads they would have them on the bike, whether they outsourced them or not. I assume the same goes for the no radiator fan on my model. If they wanted a fan, they would have put one on. Although, they did on the bigger motor and later models as a OEM piece. ARGH!!!!! Same goes for not having an oil view window. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not really a complaint on any of those things, just a.....OOH, THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A NICE OEM FEATURE ON MY BIKE kind of thing.

Thanks for all the info Robert, posts those pics when you find them, if you can find them. :)

P1010157.jpg

P1010160.jpg

IMG_5500.jpg

race prepped for elsinore gp

DSC02165.jpg

I cant remember what I did to mount the side panels with the tabs broken off, but you can see my anchor nut tap mount with the blu anodized allen screw

Oil sight glasses are not all theyre cracked up to be.....I just always changed the oil and used the proper amount. I never used the height screw and never missed a sight glass, same on 04 TC450.

My 08 TXC450 was the big change with the oil sight glass everyone asked for. My first race at glen helen at an SRA gp during open practice I was following another bike and got roosted. later in the lap the motor got really noisy and looked down to see oil all over my boot. I pulled in and thankfully saved my motor...if it was during the race I might never have looked. A rock came off the other bike and shattered my oil sight glass....I pulled the sight glass seal assembly and rebuilt it with an alloy disc and glued a coin onto that for good luck (1 French franc). That day at glen helen was over before it started long drive up long drive back, but no problem with my new husky.

PS if you really want a sight glass 7602 makes a clutch cover with a sight glass for older model Huskys.

http://www.7602racing.com/husqvarna_te_tc_txc_sm_450_510.php

After much thought I bought the 7602 rad guards for my 2007 TE250. These were the stoutest ones I could find. Even after putting a 300 kit in the bike I have not had over heating, ever. And I have crawled single track on 90* days with this set up. Only fitment issue was having to relocate the voltage regulator from the frame/steering-stem area to under the gas tank. Once I figured out how to do it I've had no problems. I only decided to get the guards after I mashed one side and it whistled steam every ride until I replaced it. Money well spent IMO.

*Install Note*

Pay extra attention to the length of the bolts that mount the guard to the frame of the Bike. (2 bolts per side) The holes on my KTM are bottom outs; not through. The bolts supplied by EE were about 5mm to long. They of couse would tighten to torque but would not fully secure the guard to the bike. It also would create a little thread damage near the bottom of the bolt causing issues in the event of a re-install.

This may not be the case with your setup; still worth a quick look to save you searching for the "ONE" bolt to replace the boogered one you just stuffed in there.

My bike is on the ground more than its upright.. PLUS PLUS PLUS for the Rad Guards!!!

Sic Crashalot

I use a set similar to what Robert has those pictures I also zip tie the plastic louvers to the guards as an added precaution.

Most of the radiator damage I have seen on Husky’s is when the bike lands on the plastic where it attaches to the bottom of the radiator, and the plastic shroud is actually what crushes the side of the radiator. Most guards do not help this issue, the best fix is to find a guard (or brace)that the shroud will mount to (instead of the radiator) in order to prevent this from occurring.

To solve the problem, I got these radiator guards and then moved the shrouds to mount on the side of the guard instead of the radiator. They are not cheap, but I have seen nothing better and I would get them again.

https://www.bulletproofdesigns.com/products/type/radiator-guards/husky-radiator-guards.html

Bill great add on, another added bonus to the cross member bars is to zip tie your louvers onto them so you never lose the louvers (which is common among bikes, ive recently found 2 (KTM type) on the trails while out looking for my lost one from before I added my rad guards). Mine too are zipped.

I never found mine, by the way its got a BRUX sticker on it, if anyone finds it (McCain zone).

When I was a Kato driver I used to pop a hole (small drill) in the louver outer tabs and install a lock clip on them.

Alright gang, thanks for all the info. Keep it coming. The more info the better for all of us, Husky or not. I'm sure there are others who have been pondering the purchase for their trusty steed.

Bill great add on, another added bonus to the cross member bars is to zip tie your louvers onto them so you never lose the louvers (which is common among bikes, ive recently found 2 (KTM type) on the trails while out looking for my lost one from before I added my rad guards). Mine too are zipped.

I never found mine, by the way its got a BRUX sticker on it, if anyone finds it (McCain zone).

When I was a Kato driver I used to pop a hole (small drill) in the louver outer tabs and install a lock clip on them.

Yeah, guess I kinda got lucky finding my louver on Saturday. Thanks for noticing it was gone Robert. I actually had no idea when it felt off, but went with a hunch that it was during runs up the hill. Got lucky with that and found it atop the hill. I'm too broke to be buying aftermarket parts, nonetheless stock parts that fell off, or even gas to ride. :unsure:/> Got a little b-day cash, hence the rad brace thoughts in conjunction with the rad tabs snapping off.

WHAT ABOUT POSTING PICS OF BIKE SETUPS. SHOW US YOUR SETUP

IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE PICS OF DIFFERENT RAD BRACES AND GUARDS ON DIFFERENT BIKES. Thanks again Robert for your pics.

I recently worked on a 2010 te510 owned by a member here with EE guards and the right side lower mount was cracked through. No signs of other damage. The left side upper bolt was driven unto the wire loom smashing it flat against the frame...local dealer installed. I was going to copy these and make my own but did not like the design so passed.

I recently worked on a 2010 te510 owned by a member here with EE guards and the right side lower mount was cracked through. No signs of other damage. The left side upper bolt was driven unto the wire loom smashing it flat against the frame...local dealer installed. I was going to copy these and make my own but did not like the design so passed.

pics????