Vintage Veloce

Superstionion tips for a noob?

I'm new to San Diego and have been riding out at Ocotillo Wells /ABDSP. I've realized it might be an easier drive to just head East out 8 and try riding the Superstition Mountain Area. Any tips for this, like where to park, facilities etc? Looks like I should go to El Centro, Plaster City or Ocotillo. At Anza Borrego my wife often comes with me and enjoys setting up and managing a day camp.... is there a good spot for something like that?

Carl

I'm new to San Diego and have been riding out at Ocotillo Wells /ABDSP. I've realized it might be an easier drive to just head East out 8 and try riding the Superstition Mountain Area. Any tips for this, like where to park, facilities etc? Looks like I should go to El Centro, Plaster City or Ocotillo. At Anza Borrego my wife often comes with me and enjoys setting up and managing a day camp.... is there a good spot for something like that?

Carl

You are in for a treat, Carl.

IMHO, SS is Da Bomb (but don't pick up or play with or intentionally run over, any bombs). And there is quite a bit of unexploded munitions in some areas.

Holidays can get busy, then at other times you may be the only soul out there (except for the Border Patrol and BLM guys).

Here's a Super OHV map.

Dan

Superstition Mountain OHV Map.pdf

Tntmo and crawdaddy know the area well...ZERO facilities..You basicly want Wheeler Rd. Huff Rd, Evan Hughes and Dunaway. Wheeler Rd takes you into the heart of Superstion,,,You better be good in sand and a good knobbie with low air pressure.

Google map Wheeler rd and Huff rd off Evan hughes...Imperial Valley.

P1020029.jpg

P1020027.jpg

P1020026.jpg

P1020024.jpg

My family and friends go out there a few times a year. No facilities so it's pack in/pack out. Varied terrain from hard pack to sand dunes. You can ride to Painted Gorge, Ocotillo Wells, ABDSP, Salton Sea, etc. We like to camp on the dry lake bed on Wheeler Rd between mile 2 and mile 4.Closer to the dunes it gets more crowded.

PM me for any questions.

Nice photos!

Here are a couple more.

post-14554-040617500 1362682940_thumb.jp

post-14554-068534800 1362682942_thumb.jp

post-14554-096754300 1362682949_thumb.jp

post-14554-072124100 1362682974_thumb.jp

Hey Carl,

I've always liked setting up camp at the The Plaster City OHV area. It's a shorter drive from SD if your going down the I8, and plenty of places to camp right off the road, or go back in 1/4 mi. in some areas for a remote location. It starts just after Painted Gorge Rd., and runs about 4 mi. down to the plant. It's only a 10 - 15 minute easy ride to the hill, good time to warm up. There are some fun scenic jeep trails and washes on the south side of I8 too that are close to Plaster City.

Good Hunting,

-Bob³

Hey Carl,

I've always liked setting up camp at the The Plaster City OHV area. It's a shorter drive from SD if your going down the I8, and plenty of places to camp right off the road, or go back in 1/4 mi. in some areas for a remote location. It starts just after Painted Gorge Rd., and runs about 4 mi. down to the plant. It's only a 10 - 15 minute easy ride to the hill, good time to warm up. There are some fun scenic jeep trails and washes on the south side of I8 too that are close to Plaster City.

Good Hunting,

-Bob³

I like Painted Gorge too...closer to the freeway, and still lots of terrain... if you are just going with the family, you can camp in or near painted gorge (very nice when it's not crowded) and still be very close to Superstition/Plaster City

Last time I was in the area, I went back and forth between Superstition and Painted Gorge, and consumed, approximately 3 tubes.

Oh and just a few gallons of gas.

Hey Carl,

Good Hunting,

-Bob³

I like Painted Gorge too...closer to the freeway, and still lots of terrain... if you are just going with the family, you can camp in or near painted gorge (very nice when it's not crowded) and still be very close to Superstition/Plaster City

Last time I was in the area, I went back and forth between Superstition and Painted Gorge, and consumed, approximately 3 tubes.

Oh and just a few gallons of gas.

Just curious, how do you consume 3 tubes in sand? I would think with rim locks and a loose valve stem lock nut, you be ok.

Yea what's up about the tubes?

I didn't start it just piled up.........

Operator error

Didn't mean to derail the thread...just making a point that Superstition/plaster/ painted gorge are all fairly close to each other

Yea what's up about the tubes?

I didn't start it just piled up.........

Bikeslut is The Flat Master....

years ago i started going out the 8 and parking at dunaway rd by the line of trees before the prison at 0 dark thirty. there are single track trails to superstition that are like playing a video game. Watch out for washes that drop off. fuel up hit super then back to refuel and another high speed run to super, maybe hit Sanddam or loop around the mt then back to load up and be back in Diego by 12:noonish.

Now when I go to OcWells i do a day or night run to Super then back to camp. I like visitng but not staying there too long, OcWells is more home to me. Oh yeah. OcWells is closer by road to me here in La Mesa than Super btw.

Driving to Superstition with my RV is easier than the trip to OW. My family likes both places though.

I can't stand Rockotillowells.

... too many rangers, too much dust, too many people...etc

I prefer to camp off of Huff road, for 7days at a time. But, I can do that with an RV.

You mentioned "day camp" and the wife...

Well, there's lots of great hidden little spots off the S2, after you drop down the 8 in the valley.

... set up a day camp, and ride from there to where ever your hearts content. FYI: If your in Anza Borrego, more rules apply.

You can ride to Superstition area and back easily from anyplace near the town of Ocotillo.

If you camp close enough to the bar/rest called "The Old Highway Cafe" (corner of S2 and Evan Hewes S80), you can have the wife run over and use their facilities (if she's not the type to visit 'singing bush').

Just make sure to stay clear of the bombing ranges, laser ranges, and anything that looks like private property.

There's also a few great sand washes you have to stay out of... like the one that leads you right to "Old Overland Stage Route of 1842". A hefty fine if your caught and written up.

If you use a GPS... and want some great tracks around the area(s), let me know... I've been riding out there since I was an embryo (literally - in my mom's belly) rolleyes.gif

Johny,

I think we are going to make a trial run out there tommorrow. I'm hoping that old highway cafe is a dirt bike friendly spot... and my wife will probably hang out there and we will have lunch there etc.

Are the "NO GO" areas well marked?

Carl

Johny,

I think we are going to make a trial run out there tommorrow. I'm hoping that old highway cafe is a dirt bike friendly spot... and my wife will probably hang out there and we will have lunch there etc.

Carl

most of the no go areas have some signage, as long as you are riding around on trails. if you are riding "open desert" keep your eyes peeled for signs in your peripheral

Yes; you can ride a dirtbike up to the cafe (if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's right on the corner of s-2 and evan hewes... stay off the road, and approach it parallel to the road in the dirt)

on weekends, I totally agree with you; doesn't seem bad on weekdays

Just stay clear of the place on "peak" weekend days, cuz it's a bit of a madhouse

Johny,

Carl

Awesome... tomorrow should be a nice day!

Old Highway Cafe is very off-road friendly... and usually, the locals will be there swiggin' a beer or three. But they are all nice, and friendly to outsiders.

On a busy weekend, there'll be buggies, quads, UTVs, bikes...etc all parked outside. As people stop in for a burger, or cold one.

And no, all those spots are not marked.

Download the map previously attached and look on BLM's site for the area specific maps. AAA has some good ones too.

I'll see if I can drum up the names of (more of) the maps you might be needing

on weekends, I totally agree with you; doesn't seem bad on weekdays

Just stay clear of the place on "peak" weekend days, cuz it's a bit of a madhouse

I really only go out on major holidays which then cover weekends too.

... I do so to get the most vacation bang-for-the-buck. Ya know, the typical two days for turkey day and the weekend, make it 4 in a row. Add 3 more days of vacay and you got a full 8 days of desert!!

So, weekdays and off weekends aren't available to me.

Hence the reason, to stay VERY clear of it.

Plus... I can't stand the amount of rocks out there. Seems like it's worse then most OHV areas. Another "hence" I call it Rock'o'tillo.

And no, all those spots are not marked.

Download the map previously attached and look on BLM's site for the area specific maps. AAA has some good ones too.

I'll see if I can drum up the names of (more of) the maps you might be needing

I'm pretty good with my GPS. And have a bunch of maps.

My basic plan is to go from:

• Go North from cafe to Powerline and run east on that.
  • Make a trip of Painted Gorge And then go back to Powerline and Keep going East.
  • Pick up Coyote Wash Eastbound to the railroad
  • Head North on the Railroad road till I get to 341
  • Take 341 to Wheeler
  • Take Wheeler Road to Superstition Mountain.
  • Fumble around the Mountain for a while and then return the same way I went in.

I'm assuming those will all be very easy as I just want to make a run through and see stuff on the day trip...

Hmmm... Looks like my route going up that Railroad Road goes right through a bigpink patch labled Military on the Map. I guess I need to re-evaluate that...

Carl

Hmmm... Looks like my route going up that Railroad Road goes right through a bigpink patch labled Military on the Map. I guess I need to re-evaluate that...

Carl

Naa... your route is fine, as long as you don't cut across the middle of a fenced or signed bombing area.

For example "085" is the train track road that runs right through the left most pink area - which is the laser guided bombing site.

... it's 100% legal to travel that road.

Those will be obvious as to what to stay out of. Don't fret.

Also, the map(s) that I have and work best thus far are;

WECO Map (from El Centro BLM - that is large and tri-fold style)

And;

BLM Special Edition - Surface Management Status Desert Access Guide - California Desert District, El Cajon (BLM 1997)

California El Centro - Surface Management Status (BLM 2007)

What GPS do you ride with? Brand/model?

Above and beyond what Dan gave you for a PDF map... you can google the full WECO map.

For example, here's another Plaster City area WECO map; http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/elcentro/maps.Par.4665.File.dat/blmlands_plastercity.pdf

And many more here; https://www.google.com/search?q=weco+route+of+travel+map+el+centro&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=PGVCUZqiHObxygGCuoHIAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1517&bih=647

My REVISED plan is to go from:

Go North from cafe to Powerline and run east on that.

Make a trip of Painted Gorge And then go back to Powerline and Keep going East.

Pick up Coyote Wash Eastbound to the railroad

Head North on the Railroad road about 1/2 mile till I get to 345

Take 345 North to 341

Take 341 North East to Wheeler

Take Wheeler Road North to Superstition Mountain.

Fumble around the Mountain for a while and then return the same way I went in.

;-)