Dhillr

Otay Wilderness to Barrett Junction - Sun 03 FEB

Looking to do a big bike friendly ride from Otay Wilderness area to Barrett Junction early Sunday morning & be home in time for football. Heading out from Jamul around 0800. Pace will be moderate but if you want a slower pace, I'm not in a hurry. Done this loop many times on the Wee without issues except the odd rock bash. KLR or lighter will have no problems zipping through.

MEET UP SPOT: AM/PM gas station in Jamul. Corner of Campo Rd and Jefferson Rd.

Time: 0800

Roads on Otay are just gravel... Novice friendly.

Creek crossing has been dry all year, but it is rocky.

Roads by the boarder fence are mostly gravel with some moderate rocky areas. Intermediate skill needed.

Post up if you're interested.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Dhillr

That looks interesting, I have a friend that lives in Jamul I will be coming from up north on a 950 Ktm

Looking to do a big bike friendly ride from Otay Wilderness area to Barrett Junction early Sunday morning & be home in time for football. Heading out from Jamul around 0800. Pace will be moderate but if you want a slower pace, I'm not in a hurry. Done this loop many times on the Wee without issues except the odd rock bash. KLR or lighter will have no problems zipping through.

Cheers,

Dave

What are the roads? I'd like to get to the top of Otay Mountain, as part of my quest to bag as many peaks as possible in SD County. Do you have a map?

My plan for sunday was to follow the border fence from otay to campo (if BP cooperates) and then in the afternoon ride some easy stuff in McCain/lark to practice sand. Maybe i can meet you guys for part of the ride.

For the start in otay Paul was mentioning a trail leading to the fence that is accessed from somewhere in between the submit and the powerplant, fyi. Here is a map he made: http://dualsportmaps.com/?link=102275

Cheers,

Dave

I might be up for this on my Scrambler. What are you riding?

My plan for sunday was to follow the border fence from otay to campo (if BP cooperates) and then in the afternoon ride some easy stuff in McCain/lark to practice sand. Maybe i can meet you guys for part of the ride.

For the start in otay Paul was mentioning a trail leading to the fence that is accessed from somewhere in between the submit and the powerplant, thats what i was planning on finding. check the map he made: http://dualsportmaps.com/?link=102275

That's a bigass ride, are you sure the gates will all be open? Are you looking to do the Chariot Mountain truck trail but it's not on the map? I would be interested in this, on my DR-Z

Well this is dhillr's ride and he knows the area. i posted this map only for reference from otay to Barett junction

In my case i'll keep going east to campo but didnt plan on going any further to those gates

my profile photo is from the river crossing at marron valley on a sdar ride with 50 riders from two years ago. many bikes drowned that very wet year. this was another noob friendly ride that met adventure. who remembers "vegetable television". wasn't she on a bmw g650? a unique bold rider.

Suggested local meetup site:

Jamul Primary School

14567 Lyons Valley Rd, Jamul, CA.

At the corner of Lyons Valley Road and Skyline Truck Trail in Jamul (91935).

Run pavement from Lyons Valley Road, through Lee Valley, turn right at Honey Springs Road (four corners) to hwy 94, to Otay Lakes Road to Pico Pico RV Resort, here could be the second start point for others who want the graded dirt and fire road section.

Beezzz

Jamul.

I've been sick the last couple days but if im feeling good I will meet up with you guys. Just post a meet up spot and certain time. It will be a good ride to try out my new FCR 41 carb!!

Eric

I'm thinking that stretch along the border fence is Scrambler friendly. Not sure about that climb up to Barrett Junction because I've never done it. If BP trunks routinely go that way, it should be fine.

I've ridden Otay TT from the campground, border road, stream crossing (dry), up Tecate Peak area down to Barrett Junction on my Wee-Strom on stock tires....before I got back into the dirt. Limited skill and being careful, but we made it. Shouldn't be a problem for the scrambler.

I worked a detail with BP this week and asked about border road access. The agents said it is a complete coin toss, depending on who's on duty, maybe the supervisor, etc. Pretty frustrating when nobody can tell us we don't have the right to be there. Waive, be considerate, hope for the best.

For the start in otay Paul was mentioning a trail leading to the fence that is accessed from somewhere in between the submit and the powerplant, fyi. Here is a map he made: http://dualsportmaps.com/?link=102275

Kato,

I was planning to do the same area & I'm flexible & up for some exploring. Would be great to meet up. I'm going to be at the AMPM gas station at the corner of Campo Rd and Jefferson Rd in Jamul at 0800. We could all meet there if that works for you. I'm going to enter Otay by the campground store on Otay Lakes Rd.

Original post edited with meet up time and location.

I'm riding my Wee Strom with knobbies.

Seen many Boarder Patrol agents during this ride & have always just smiled and waved.... They smile & wave back. If there is any issue with BT, we will do as they ask....even if that means back tracking the way we came. Don't want to ruin a good thing out there.

Scrambler should be ok in almost every area. There are a couple of rocky climbs that may ding the bottom but nothing insurmountable IMO.

Roads on Otay are just gravel... Novice friendly.

Creek crossing has been dry all year, but it is rocky.

Roads by the boarder fence are mostly gravel with some moderate rocky areas. Intermediate skill needed.

Seen many Board Patrol agents during this ride & have always just smiled and waved.... They smile & wave back. If there is any issue with BT, we will do as they ask....even if that means back tracking the way we came. Don't want to ruin a good thing out there.

Completely agree.

Each time I ride that route, I'm surprised it's not been shut down. I've been waved through, I've been stopped, I've been turned around and while it's never really made sense, each officer has been pleasant and professional. The longer we keep that relationship codial, the longer we MAY get to ride there.

Yep, its always been nice with BP. A couple days ago i entered pio pico and rode to the power plant and met a bp on quad while riding the non graveled dirt trails around the prison/power plant (off main trail) He just waived.. and he was riding up these tarils pretty hard also! (Having fun)

8am @ jamul's ampm station, im on an older klr, looking forward to this ride!

Sweet! See you guys there!

Before heading up to Jamul, I'll be getting all coffee'd up at the Starbucks by Khol's (corner of Jamacha and Willow Glen) in Rancho San Diego at around 0700. If you guys are coming through that way, stop by and I'll buy you a cup!

Great ride guys! Thanks for coming out. My only pic from the ride is below:

A167CB8A-107B-4B15-A5D9-813B7A454418-614-0000004F5EB4FD26_zps28dd43e3.jpg

Looking forward to getting back out again!

Sweet picture, was that after you guys split towards Campo? I have some pictures, I'll post em when I get on the computer

That was somewhere just south of Campo. Lots of good riding out there. I'm ready to get back out there when I have a full day. Want to try & make it all of the way to Jacumba.