Crawdaddy

SDAR "Club Ride" - Laughlin/Bullhead City - Nov. 7-10/13

Crawdaddy.. I am in! I am good for Thursday afternoon - Sunday as well. How does the night bike storage thing work at the AVI? I have some vehicle options as well, happy to haul some bikes... But this post looks kinda quiet. Let me / us know, i will need to make a reservation. Thanks

I'm in the 90% range of "in". Will know in a day for sure.

Hi Avocado,

The AVI has a motorcycle parking area out front. It has fences around it and is watched by security. We've left our bikes there and just chained them to the fencing. There were some guys that dual sported in and left there bikes there with no chain, no problems.

Any insight into tent camping (IE boondocking) in the area, close to the river would be cool? I've never been out that way so I'm clueless. If I get my bike going and dialed in time I would love to join, would probably be a friday night bonzi out and sunday afternoon bail if the stars align. Thanks for the grand tour offer!! :good:/>

If you're good with a GPS I can have you camping right on the beach. Totally legal, folks do it all the time. We usually drop down to that same spot at the end of the day and have a beer. That said, I wouldn't leave my tent, bag, etc. on the beach and go riding.......you'd want to pack up your stuff and drop it in someone's truck over at the AVI or lock it up in your truck if you drive down to the beach......

I'd recommend just coughing up a few $ and staying at the AVI.....less hassle and not that expensive......you're biggest expense will be fuel to get out there.......another reason to find a partner for carpooling/room sharing.....

More pics of the area in this thread:

Jim - Got your email.....Ralph and company are welcome to join in the fun.....

Any insight into tent camping (IE boondocking) in the area, close to the river would be cool? I've never been out that way so I'm clueless. If I get my bike going and dialed in time I would love to join, would probably be a friday night bonzi out and sunday afternoon bail if the stars align. Thanks for the grand tour offer!! :good:/>/>

If you're good with a GPS I can have you camping right on the beach. Totally legal, folks do it all the time. We usually drop down to that same spot at the end of the day and have a beer. That said, I wouldn't leave my tent, bag, etc. on the beach and go riding.......you'd want to pack up your stuff and drop it in someone's truck over at the AVI or lock it up in your truck if you drive down to the beach......

I'd recommend just coughing up a few $ and staying at the AVI.....less hassle and not that expensive......you're biggest expense will be fuel to get out there.......another reason to find a partner for carpooling/room sharing.....

More pics of the area in this thread:

Jim - Got your email.....Ralph and company are welcome to join in the fun.....

perfect! :coolio:

Chris, I'm in for sure. Also Brad from Lake Isabella. Ralph is out. No reply from the other two guys.

But this post looks kinda quiet. Let me / us know, i will need to make a reservation. Thanks

This club ride is a definite "GO". I have a few friends coming from various locations in addition to fellow SDAR members.....looking forward to showing you folks some fun trails in my backyard.....

So start pairing up to cut down on fuel/lodging expenses.....

Nice/open/desert scenery on both sides of the river....

51379DEB-9D50-406C-B263-BB16FE30AC15-148-000000236EA23F45_zpsb68d780a.jpg

2BDF0727-CCD3-4B5F-8D9F-AC43431C6F7F-148-0000001B8F5612B3_zpsd6d91ecc.jpg

Some fun single track on the west side of the river.....

06039EBB-0756-4BFF-AD20-A27ACFEC05A5-148-00000019B721CC5B_zps82348863.jpg

Breakfast in Oatman on the east side of the river (yes, you can street plate "quads" in AZ. :smile_anim: )

A39273FF-B0B1-4D86-92F9-0B68AD97EBAF-148-00000019FCC5765E_zps4db5e857.jpg

I'm 90% in at this point, I'll know for sure in a week or so. If anyone is interested in parking in Barstow Thursday am and charging across the mojave trail then back again on Sunday, let me know!

I'm 90% in at this point, I'll know for sure in a week or so. If anyone is interested in parking in Barstow Thursday am and charging across the mojave trail then back again on Sunday, let me know!

THAT's a good plan/ride! :rolleyes::smile_anim:

CORE Mojave Road Loop/Tracks: http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=112517

Pretty sure I have to be in Phoenix on business Thursday the 7th or I'd have Kathy drop me off/ride over with you.......

If my business plans hold, I'll probably drive out to Bullhead Wednesday night the 6th, drive down to Phoenix Thursday/back late Thursday night 7th.....meet the advance team at the AVI first thing Friday morning the 8th.....

Chris, I'm in for sure. Also Brad from Lake Isabella. Ralph is out. No reply from the other two guys.

Jess Sayn: Other guy -> I'm in.

Jess Sayn: Other guy -> I'm in.

Cool. Welcome aboard.

You folks should all start pairing up for carpooling/room sharing

I'l be driving out solo. Might stop along the way to visit some folks in 29 Palms on the way.

Heck the rooms are only like $39, and besides, nobody will want to share a room with me. I probably shouldn't get into it.

:who-let-rip:

OK, looks like I'm in for sure. I'm hoping to park in Barstow and incorporate the Mojave trail into this ride but we will see if I come up with any riding partners.....

....I'll take care of setting up the ride plan each day from the AVI parking lot.....

I'll drive my truck over to the AVI on Friday morning so I can bring my laptop/load gps tracks.....I don't want to post my tracks in a public forum.....and I ask that those coming out not share the track set.....I may use some of this stuff in a CORE ride down the line....

We'll meet at 8am each morning at the Firehouse coffee shop next to the gas station in the AVI parking parking (FYI - good breakfasts available there)

Friday we'll ride two track/single track on the west side of the river.....I prefer to ride the single track on weekdays.....I'll elaborate on site......I'll create a few bypasses for those who want something a bit easier....

Post ride burgers/brews at Lazy Harry's Friday night

Saturday we'll ride on the east side of the CO. river......Oatman for breakfast then hit Golden Valley, Choride (time permitting),and finish up along the rim high above Lake Mojave (great views) before dropping back down to Laughlin where we'll grab a cold "B" to consume along the river's edge......more of an open two track/rocky day....some nasty washes/bush wacking due to flash floods in the area.

Both days track sets will be big mileage/FULL days......we'll leave AVI no later than 8:30 am.......back to AVI at Sunset.....you came to ride right? :coolio: (ride your own ride....bail anytime)

I'm heading out this Thursday night to do a bit more Club Ride recon/scouting on Friday/Sat.....I already know severe flash floods have altered the landscape in a few places on both sides of the river......some tame/grooved washes were a bit nasty on my last trip.......they haven't been ridden in ~4 months (some are rarely ridden "in season").....so we may be pioneering in a few spots......the chosen paths will get worn back in as the season progresses and folks start riding the areas again......

I'm meeting Rigga's buddy Enger out there and we're probably going to spend a fair amount of time over in the nasty OHV stuff by Laughlin (steep and/or rutted/whooped single track.....some of which may be featured as optional play areas on the Club Ride :ph34r::dead::torch: ).......so I won't be riding my planned "Club Ride" tracks in their entirety but I will be checking on a few areas.....I'm expecting a few new erosion drop offs, deep sand in a few areas, more exposed rocks, blah, blah, blah.......

I think I have about an eigth of an inch of tread on my current MT43 rear tire :unsure: ......I should probably throw on a new rear tire before the Club event :blink::lol:

I'm heading out this Thursday night to do a bit more Club Ride recon/scouting on Friday/Sat.....I already know severe flash floods have altered the landscape in a few places on both sides of the river......some tame/grooved washes were a bit nasty on my last trip.......they haven't been ridden in ~4 months (some are rarely ridden "in season").....so we may be pioneering in a few spots......the chosen paths will get worn back in as the season progresses and folks start riding the areas again......

I'm meeting Rigga's buddy Enger out there and we're probably going to spend a fair amount of time over in the nasty OHV stuff by Laughlin (steep and/or rutted/whooped single track.....some of which may be featured as optional play areas on the Club Ride :ph34r:/> :dead:/> :torch:/> ).......so I won't be riding my planned "Club Ride" tracks in their entirety but I will be checking on a few areas.....I'm expecting a few new erosion drop offs, deep sand in a few areas, more exposed rocks, blah, blah, blah.......

I think I have about an eigth of an inch of tread on my current MT43 rear tire :unsure:/> ......I should probably throw on a new rear tire before the Club event :blink:/> :lol:/>

Again, thanks for everything! good luck.

ps love that mt43? hummmm

Just realized we'll all be out there the weekend after we revert back to Std time. AZ. does not observe the change away from Daylight Savings time. So it'll be one hour later as soon as you cross the river into AZ..

When I post times to meet, etc. at the AVI it's "CA./NV" time NOT AZ. time.....so 8am at the AVI is 9am in Bullhead City. Got it? (I'm posting this mainly as a reminder to..... me! :unsure::heh: )

Right now it looks like I'm headed out solo this week (my buddy Steve is driving down from Vegas Friday night and staying over in the Laughlin area).

PM me if you're interested in driving out to Bullhead with me THIS Thursday night (~5pm from Ramona) through late Sunday afternoon (I usually leave Bullhead around noonish on Sunday). That would help me shave some fuel expense......Likewise, I can put a couple of folks up at Mi Casa in Bullhead to shave some lodging expense. Guests buy the beer :king::drinks: .....just bring sleeping bags.

Hey CD - are you or (anyone else) running a radio for this ride?

I'll have a radio - Usual 146.505 channel

I'm leaving from Ramona at 5pm today......I have room for another 1-2 bike(s) in my truck..... :coolio:

As a Public Service I am compelled to advise you Desert Adventurers Not to Trust anything Crawdaddy tells you about the trails.

Riders Beware. You will find him at the top of the hill smiling down on you as you make the run.

Have fun, wish I was there, etc. cowboy.gif

P1020740_1000w-L.jpg

Hey CD - are you or (anyone else) running a radio for this ride?

I'll have a radio - Usual 146.505 channel

I'm leaving from Ramona at 5pm today......I have room for another 1-2 bike(s) in my truck..... :coolio:/>

Man I wish....I'd be in for this wknd if I didn't have trips planned for the next 4 consecutive weekends...

Man I wish....I'd be in for this wknd if I didn't have trips planned for the next 4 consecutive weekends...

I only care about one of the other 4 trips :coolio::heh:

~3.5 hours.......tick tock

I only care about one of the other 4 trips :coolio:/> :heh:/>

~3.5 hours.......tick tock

Later......heading for Ramona/River now.......I'll post a few pics in the days to come......

Later......heading for Ramona/River now.......I'll post a few pics in the days to come......

The good news...I'm here........the bad news......busted water pipe/flooded bedrooms.......CDaddy might not be riding much this weekend.... <_<:angry2: