On the last ride I did with the club, out in Anza with hodnetjj, dsfox, maniac, billp, and others (crawdad), a former owner of a 620 adventure drew attention to my unprotected L/H petcock. I was told that those things pop right off and if you break it, you're screwed. Fearing for my life, and that of my shiny new toy, I contacted Justin at nomadic racks. He said he was familiar with the problem and could fabricate something to provide some much needed protection. I dropped the bike off yesterday at noon and by 3pm it was ready for pickup. This is what he came up with, and I could not be happier with its strength and design:

8365526615_8f1abcaa17_c.jpg

wekert, witnessing justin's skill, decided he too would try hand at fabricating some protection as his KLR was in need of a new mud guard. This is what he came up with:

8365526897_8ede47e499_c.jpg

8365527105_947c9cf916_c.jpg

8366598612_0f7b542bd6_c.jpg

8366599212_4236c4e438_c.jpg

Yes, that is a Hello Kitty™ floor mat, available for $8.99 at an O'Reilly's near you. With our newly installed protective measures, wekert and I decided we needed test the product, so we decided on a little ride around the county. We started in tecate and figured we'd explore the border roads, not knowing where we might end up. 260 miles later, here's what it looked like:

8365531081_37f1ba1079_c.jpg

and here's what hello kitty looked like:

8365529477_eac401af36_c.jpg

Nevertheless, she worked like a charm. And while I, unfortunately, did not plant my bike in the dirt so as to try out my new petcock guard, we didn't escape the escapade entirely unscathed - wekert flattened his front tire on our way back from OW OHV park:

8366601640_a938ce2ae2_c.jpg

aside from being an opportunity to use my handy trail stand, it was also a great chance to work on our tube changing skills. Oh, and it was at this moment that wekert said, "i guess 6000 miles is all they can take." mind you that front tire is only 3000 miles old...

Now for some photos of the ride. Here's one on the border fence:

8365528601_3df2dbfe7b_c.jpg

our noble steeds:

8365528955_9318d2b448_c.jpg

coming up from ocotillo. i kept telling him we were done with the whoops. whoops, guess i was mistaken.

8365529965_ed1c31e138_c.jpg

if there's one thing I learned on this ride it's that I'm much more concerned with the comfort of my seat than that of my pegs - i believe a call to seat concepts is in order.

260 miles! awesome.

man i wish to go on one of these one day soon

Yes indeed, 260 miles will focus your mind on a new seat! I drove up there and they changed it right on the spot in about 30 minutes. Well worth the trip.

Had a great day!! Hello Kitty seemed to be the cheapest (and coolest, no homo) way to patch up my broken mud guard. Held in with dry wall screws, it's actually a very good replacement. I'll order a proper one from ebay since they're only 30 bucks. But it'll do for now!

And at some point in the day, my brake caliper and my exhaust got into a fight. The brake caliper won.

20130109184816.jpg

Warren did u take that beast to george yet and let him work his magic on the suspension?

Warren did u take that beast to george yet and let him work his magic on the suspension?

Yes, the front was done. New springs and... whatever else he did. Suspension stuff. Now my rear feels too soft, and the hole in my exhaust pipe agree's with me.

That looks like an awesome route combined with some genius bike fixes. I'm def getting the itch as I haven't been on a ride in a month now...stupid work trips.

This from this morning's UT:

Border Patrol agents found more than $10,000 in cash under the hood of a car they stopped in Carlsbad and $300,000 worth of marijuana in a bag at the border near Campo, officials said Tuesday.

About 3 a.m. Sunday, agents in Campo followed footprints from the Mexican border to a bag containing a vehicle tire. Inside the tire were 17 bundles of marijuana weighing 21 pounds and worth an estimated $321,750, Border Patrol officials said.

Coincidence? I think not.

That gives me an idea. Hey wekert, want to employ your tracking skills in some extra curricular activities? Maybe you can get that 690 after all!

This from this morning's UT:

Border Patrol agents found more than $10,000 in cash under the hood of a car they stopped in Carlsbad and $300,000 worth of marijuana in a bag at the border near Campo, officials said Tuesday.

About 3 a.m. Sunday, agents in Campo followed footprints from the Mexican border to a bag containing a vehicle tire. Inside the tire were 17 bundles of marijuana weighing 21 pounds and worth an estimated $321,750, Border Patrol officials said.

Coincidence? I think not.

21bs = $321,750 around 15,000 per pound? Someones math is off.

17 bundles at 21 lbs is at least a 400lb tire.

Thread hijacked by weed? Go figure.....

that happens. gotta roll with the punches. anyway. it was a good ride. looking forward to another, but not until I get my new seat... saturday can't come soon enough.

Thread hijacked by weed? Go figure.....

that happens. gotta roll with the punches. anyway. it was a good ride. looking forward to another, but not until I get my new seat... saturday can't come soon enough.

Just messin with you guys Aaron. You'll like your new seat, I'm really happy I changed mine out.

I contacted Justin at nomadic racks. He said he was familiar with the problem and could fabricate something to provide some much needed protection. I dropped the bike off yesterday at noon and by 3pm it was ready for pickup.

Glad you had a better experience with Justin than I did. We agreed on a price and a time-frame for some custom engine guards for my X-Challenge and came back two weeks after having my bike and said he would be "More motivated to finish the project" for twice his original estimate :angry2:/> .

Hi-Jacking rant completed. Nice write up :good:/>