RogerTOWM

What should I do?

Recently I was in the southern mountains of New Mexico when I met a dual sport rider on a Texas Plated KDX220. After talking with him I discovered that it was quite easy to get the 2 strokes plated in Tejas. Just needed some lights, (brake and headlight). It sounds like any endure will work. So I’m thinking about getting a used 2 stroke to plate, what should I look at? What features should I look for; range, weight, age, make, gear ratios, etc.? :blink:

Guest Crusty

Recently I was in the southern mountains of New Mexico when I met a dual sport rider on a Texas Plated KDX220. After talking with him I discovered that it was quite easy to get the 2 strokes plated in Tejas. Just needed some lights, (brake and headlight). It sounds like any endure will work. So I'm thinking about getting a used 2 stroke to plate, what should I look at? What features should I look for; range, weight, age, make, gear ratios, etc.? :blink:

If I were you!

A brand new KTM 300, "only" because it has E start.

Craig.

Recently I was in the southern mountains of New Mexico when I met a dual sport rider on a Texas Plated KDX220. After talking with him I discovered that it was quite easy to get the 2 strokes plated in Tejas. Just needed some lights, (brake and headlight). It sounds like any endure will work. So I'm thinking about getting a used 2 stroke to plate, what should I look at? What features should I look for; range, weight, age, make, gear ratios, etc.? :blink:

If I were you!

Craig.

I did this. In 2011 I bought a brand-new KTM 300 from Veys, took it to Yuma to a DMV service on fourth street and got a street plate for it. I run a headlight, a mirror, and a working brake light and have never been questioned.

I bought used 2009 KTM 300 XCW from a guy in Tucson who had already gone through the the dualsport conversion drill....I just transferred title into my name.....no BFD.....went to the Motor Vehicle Dept on Friday and renewed my street plate through 2013 ($5 for the street registration renewal and $25 for the OHV sticker....you need both stickers on street plates in AZ.)......headlight/brake light will suffice....AZ. doesn't require turn signals....

300BlackMtn-1.jpg

KDX220- fast, light, cheap, TERRIBLE mileage.

RMX250- fast, light, super cheap, sips gas.

I would choose a KTM or Suzuki. CR250 would be cool just have never had one.

I bought used 2009 KTM 300 XCW from a guy in Tucson who had already gone through the the dualsport conversion drill....I just transferred title into my name.....no BFD.....went to the Motor Vehicle Dept on Friday and renewed my street plate through 2013 ($5 for the street registration renewal and $25 for the OHV sticker....you need both stickers on street plates in AZ.)......headlight/brake light will suffice....AZ. doesn't require turn signals....

300BlackMtn-1.jpg

Chris, I'm intersted in the details of plating a bike in Az. I know you have property there, but do you also need to have an Az drivers license?

My car team has 3 of them they keep at my house and call me to get them ready to go at a moments notice.

All 3 have rekluse clutches and 1 has a full titanium nut-bolt kit and anything carbon fiber you can buy including a $1500.00 gas tank and $800.00 subframe and removed the E-Start. Got it down to 200 lbs. Here is the 1 I use every year just for Phantom Trail a couple of days before the desert dash.

P1000526.jpg

The Carbon fiber 1 takes lots of naps with the owner..LOL

RobertdowninRockField.jpg

P1000178.jpg

Guest Crusty

If money were not an option I would own 1 XR 680L SUPER ADVENTURE and 3 CRF 450x LOVE THAT BIKE,

but only ride MX on it because it's that good!!coolio.gif

You don't see Many KTM 525 -530 or 300 two strokes at the track but you see more people shreding on CRF 450Xblink.gifblink.gif

I ride my CR 250 because it ROCKS and it's my cheapest bike to maintain, and own.

I don't care about it.coolio.gif

My understanding is that the RM is a motocross bike. Is the gearing on the RMX different then the RM? I'm thinking a trail or enduro bike might be better then a short geared X-crosser. But really what do I know? I ride a harley.

If I were you!

Craig.

See, Craig remembers that I'm a wimp and can't kick. My concern with this is (1) price and (2) power. Price for a new one is a bit much and power may be way too much for my old fat body to handle. A friend I work with wants to do the CDT we me next year. He is a 2T guy and I'm thinking I might like something cheap and light. (If I get a kick start only I could ask my friend to start it. Kind of like a electric starter).

My experience with 2 strokes was from the 70s with 125 cc bikes (I weighed less then that back then). I remembered that you really needed to run those bikes at higher RPM or you would foul the plugs. Is this true with newer water cooled 2 strokes?

What happened to the Beta?

The RMX is a wide ratio, enduro geared, RM.

For the CDT I think you rather be on the Beta than have to carry 2stroke oil with you for the 1000+ miles of riding.

For the CDT I think you rather be on the Beta than have to carry 2stroke oil with you for the 1000+ miles of riding.

I agree. Smokers are for technical/short "loops". I'd rather be on a four stroke for wide open/long hauls.....

My understanding is that the RM is a motocross bike. Is the gearing on the RMX different then the RM? I'm thinking a trail or enduro bike might be better then a short geared X-crosser. But really what do I know? I ride a harley.

I has a 89 RMX I got from socalhodaka and found it to be a great bike. Plush suspension, easy start and almost already dualsport with headlight, tail light and odometer stock. Would go all weekend with a desert tank. I see them all the time on cl for around 800. I sold mine to a buddy because it was just sitting. I have been trying to convince him to plate it. I think it would be perfect. Wide ratio trans and heavier flywheel for the tight stuff.

Add me to the light 4 stroke category- to further refine it- I would look for heavy flywheel, low compression chug machines

I would look for heavy flywheel, low compression chug machines

I know of a certain bike that goes "Anywhere" that fits that bill......relatively inexpensive too

I would look for heavy flywheel, low compression chug machines

I know of a certain bike that goes "Anywhere" that fits that bill......relatively inexpensive too

and valve checks every 26,000 MILES!!!

Piston replacements every 15,000 miles

:heh:

and valve checks every 26,000 MILES!!!

Piston replacements every 15,000 miles

:heh:

SPANK! :lol:

And it wasn't just the piston......the whole jug was trash which is why it's a 290 now.....

I truly think the meltdown on my WR250R was a function of the fuel programmer settings being too lean and poor air filter maintenance......both of those arrows point at me not the bike......there are plenty of guys are out there with ~30K miles on these bikes now.........at least one guy on the ADV Rider WR250R forum has ~60K miles without issue.....

I'd trust the "street bike reliability/comfort" of my WR250R on any long journey.....whereas I wouldn't even break out my 300XCW on something other than a day loop......different bikes/different missions....

I agree. Smokers are for technical/short "loops". I'd rather be on a four stroke for wide open/long hauls.....

With proper planing Oil could be replenished in-route so we would not have to carry all of it from the start. But still it could be a messy hassle.

The CDT trail could be thought of several short straight "loops" couldn't it?

I was showing my buddy Crawdaddy's posts about go any-where bikes but he also read the post about the KTM 300 C-diddy picked up. Like I said this guy is a 2 stroke fan. His father was a missionary and he was raised in Africa, Haiti and Dominican Republic. He has been on old heavy 4 strokes and light 2 strokes.

I think maybe I should get my Husky reassembled and let him ride the Beta. Then maybe we can talk him into a "c-diddy" girl bike.

I have a system for getting bikes plated, and it is legal.

However I suggest that you go to a state that DOES NOT USE E-TITLE. THere is a good reason why some bikes are getting their plates pulled...

then again I know nothing.

I have a system for getting bikes plated, and it is legal.

However I suggest that you go to a state that DOES NOT USE E-TITLE. THere is a good reason why some bikes are getting their plates pulled...

then again I know nothing.

Pray tell my sweet...

I'm prepping to register my '94 lc4 here in CA. Currently has a CO plate, but seeing as CO is 1000 miles away...