TrophyHunter

DR650 Skidplate

On our ride this weekend, one DR took a hard hit on or near the right rear skidplate mounting point. The screw went through the bottom of the case and oil was coming out quickly. The skidplate can be adjusted so that doesn't happen or modified. We were talking about extending the plates to the rear mounting holes like this SW Motech unit.

skidplate-swmotech.jpg

Another solution is offered on T Talk

The 3 DR's on the ride had the same plate so interest was high. I'm looking at doing a welded on extension and/or possibly flipping the mount from outside to in by drilling a hole on the portion of the plate sticking out past the frame. I've taken some hits so maybe I just got lucky without realizing the adjustment was there.

A good thing to check on any bike I'd guess. This could've been bad news if unprepared in a more remote area. The group had tools, JB Weld and tow gear 'tween us but we were also lucky to me near a spot where C-Daddy was able to get his truck after coasting the bike down a hill.

Great post Ken, the more I look at this plate the more obvious the problem is and I'm surprised the vendor hasn't made changes. Well, we are and I hope others do as well. How ironic it is that Evans plate was bought to fix the very same problem it caused.

Ps. That was Quicksteel not JB Weld, Quicksteel sets in 5-10 minutes and has proven itself for me in the past.

Nice product Arnie. I posted the mount issue on the ADV DR thread and have had one more "that happened to me" response/

Mr. Bowers - what was the product you used on the punctured radiator in AZ?

Nice product Arnie. I posted the mount issue on the ADV DR thread and have had one more "that happened to me" response/

I carry both the quicksteel and the Jb weld. I also carry a couple of pieces of flat stock aluminum in case a large hole happens.

tears and mighty putty

mightyputty2_2.jpg

i could be wrong about the putty

2a6e31f2.jpg

ADV Post - pic of my skid plate mount bolt damage from earlier this year. Oil wept from around the indent and the crack marked with black marker. Noticed oil leaking up on the mountain and hauled ass home.

Drained oil, let sit, sand paper area, cleaned with carb cleaner, applied JB Weld, working great

Bum - good idea with the additional patch pieces.

Is that a bird turd or a weld on your frame???? :)

Move that bolt over 3/4" and all is good except the plate is still too short!

I too prefer JB Weld for at home repairs, I once had a hairline crack on a new forklift water pump and instead of the 3 hours to R&R a new pump I used JB Weld and it was still good 5 years later when I left that job.

I know bboyle9 will be interested in this mod for his Procycle MSR? Moose? skidplate. The DRs sit low and I'm sure the skid takes a beating. Keep us updated with pics

Is that a bird turd or a weld on your frame???? :)

Does your dog bite? Nope. "Ouch!!!!" Not my dog.

Not my turd weld bike.... :lol: Stolen from an ADV post for example. :party:

Remember hearing about a DR going down and finally found the thread. I just ran and looked at mine and the screw seems short enough that it won't hit up in that groove unless the entire mount shifts to the front or rear of that little groove.

Does anyone have an explanation of what is causing the bolt to reach all the way up into the recess and hit the case?

Also is it just that rear right bolt?

Remember hearing about a DR going down and finally found the thread. I just ran and looked at mine and the screw seems short enough that it won't hit up in that groove unless the entire mount shifts to the front or rear of that little groove.

Does anyone have an explanation of what is causing the bolt to reach all the way up into the recess and hit the case?

Also is it just that rear right bolt?

1) It does and it can

2) Suspension bottoming and plate hitting rock etc at same time. It is enough pressure to spin the tab with bolt through it that is wrapped around the frame up into the motor.

3) So far but the rest look okay.

Not sure but maybe BMW can help with your problem...

The GSA skidplate had long bolts and between the skidplate and the engine mount are a washer a rubber "bumper" and another washer.

I bang the ever living **** out of my bashguard and have never had a problem.