Sign in to follow this  
Yenool

n00b friendly in Ramona (Sunday morning?)

OK I've only taken out my new (to me) DRZ once on the dirt and the whether seems ideal for another spin this weekend. Anyone else interested? I took Santa Ysabel TT from west to east 2 weekends ago and that was fun and easy enough, so I figured I'd do it the opposite way and check out some new trails as well. Just piecing stuff together from maps and what I've heard on here I'm thinking something like... (google maps is being finicky so I'll just outline it)

Black Canyon

Santa Ysabel TT

Black Mountain

Henshaw TT

Palomar Divide

Nate Harrison

back to Ramona

At least get to the 76 and see how it's going. Anyone else interested? Or feedback on this particular route? I'm available both mornings this weekend so I can be flexible, but would prefer Sunday.

-Matt

Im also a noob but i may be interested in tagging along, i have to get my clutch issues sorted out first though. Im on a dr350, and i have also only been out on the dirt once on my bike.

FYI - although it looks good on a map there is a gate between Palomar Divide and Nate Harrison. Also Henshaw TT is gated just below the dam on East Grade Rd and probably @ 79 but that's just a guess. Another good local ride (Puerta La Cruz TT) is starting @ Warner Springs by the glider airport through Indian Springs to Chihuahua Valley but a fire was just in that area so it might be a bit torn up. You can also follow the trail from Chihuahua Valley to Anza from there.

FYI - although it looks good on a map there is a gate between Palomar Divide and Nate Harrison.

Yup...my neighborhood. You can still make it a nice loop without the Divide.

Id like to Tag along as well if its ok with you. Im in the Ramona, where are you meeting up and what time?

Evan

I've seen other rides have started at Packards Coffee shop off Main St. How about meet there at 8:30am on Sunday?

Glad to see there's some interest. Just a disclaimer: I'm not intimately familiar with these roads, but I have a GPS and don't mind leading as long as expectations are known ahead of time. Hope to see you guys there.

I'll show you around.......I'm going to grab breakfast at Amerient at 8 (same parking lot as Packard's). Rolling by 9. Lusardi, Santa Isabel, Black Mtn, more Santa Isabel, Black Canyon, Hideout, u-turn.....

1345859695[/url]' post='132374']

I'll show you around.......I'm going to grab breakfast at Amerient at 8 (same parking lot as Packard's). Rolling by 9. lusardi, Santa Isabel, Black mgmt, more Santa Isabel, Black Canyon, Hideout, u-turn.....

Wow you guys have a hell of a guide!

9? I'm sleeping in!! See you at 8:45.

Just road some of those trails last weekend. How do you get from the Blk Mnt to the 76 other than Blk Canyon to Mesa Grande? Ran into gates on both sides. Gave up after a few dead ends. Can't make it Sunday, but I'm gonna do something Saturday morning. I love the smell of Nate Harrison in the morning.

Just road some of those trails last weekend. How do you get from the Blk Mnt to the 76 other than Blk Canyon to Mesa Grande? Ran into gates on both sides. Gave up after a few dead ends. Can't make it Sunday, but I'm gonna do something Saturday morning. I love the smell of Nate Harrison in the morning.

Black Canyon is the only not gated option I'm aware of.......which is a shame.....

Thanks for the offer to lead Senor Crawford. Sounds like a decent group. I'm going to be hiking then putting together my tool kit tomorrow. See you rascals Sunday.

.....At least get to the 76 and see how it's going.

I figured we'd just hit all the stuff out 7th St./Pamo with the exception of Orosco Ridge (Lusardi TT out to the locked gate and back, Santa Isabel TT up to Black Mtn TT up to top and back, more Santa Isabel TT to Black Canyon Bridge, maybe cut over to Lake Sutherland if you've never seen the area (U-turn and back to Black Canyon Bridge), maybe head across Black Canyon to Mesa Grande/Hideout (76), then reverse course back to Ramona (Black Canyon/Santa Isabel TT/Pamo)........just a couple/three hours of easy morning riding and that'll take you across Santa Isabel TT in both directions which was objective #1....

Breakfast at 8, rolling by 9, done by noon.....

Longer Options:

Anyone interested in a longer ride/loop could keep pushing north once we arrive at the Hideout.......maybe ride up to Anza and U turn or make it a loop and return back on Palomar Divide......that'll tack on a few more hours along with a good amount of pavement........

GPS tracks for the bigger loop to Anza/Palomar Divide are in this old thread on ADV Rider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394621

Another option would be to head up the paved backside of Palomar and down Nate Harrison.....then head home or u turn at the bottom of Nate Harrison and reverse course back to the Hideout.....that'll also tack on a few more hours along with a good amount of pavement........

Once it cools down there are other "Ramona Loops" that incorporate Rodriguez TT/Mason TT, Grapevine TT, Jasper TT, Culp Valley TT....I'm curious to see what Oriflame Canyon looks like after the fires a couple of weeks ago......hopefully Rodriguez/Mason will remain open.....

That other fire was in Jasper tt area- wonder what that looks like as well.

Fyi Orosco Ridge is now shut down for shooting indefinitely according to Duncan Hunters office he has lost the battle with the tree huggers

Sounds like a plan Craw. I'll be at Packards and ready by 9 then, going to skip breakfast.

That other fire was in Jasper tt area- wonder what that looks like as well.

I thought it was upper Mason TT (Oriflame) area?

Fyi Orosco Ridge is now shut down for shooting indefinitely according to Duncan Hunters office he has lost the battle with the tree huggers

Orosco is shut down for shooting but still "open for OHV use" per the Ranger District website.......I just don't bother with it because it's boring......

BUT, good training ground for kids on bikes/quads since it's "OHV" legal (no plate required):

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cleveland/recreation/otheractivities/recarea?recid=47684&actid=106

See ya over at Amerient in a bit....

There were 2 fires down and 1 by Chihuahua Valley. The Jasper/ Grapevine was to the SE of the trail but burned towards Sissors Crossing.

Orosco was to reopen for shooting after clean up and designated shooting lanes setup with help from NRA but it fell apart. I hear it was lack of funding and environmental issues but that was second hand info.