robertaccio

2012 WR450 Yamaha

This is another nice off road machine from Yamaha, the tried and true 450 fuel injected and stuffed into the YZ250F chassis. Green sticker bonus too. SSS forks. Needs to drop 20 lbs (Pipe and change the battery to Li)

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/content/124/2012_wr450f_press_reveiws.aspx

This is another nice off road machine from Yamaha, the tried and true 450 fuel injected and stuffed into the YZ250F chassis. Green sticker bonus too. SSS forks. Needs to drop 20 lbs (Pipe and change the battery to Li)

273 pounds, 5 speed gearbox, not street legal. Does Yamaha think they dont need to keep up with the Jones ? I dont understand it. They could sell a train load of them if they were lighter & street legal.

maybe they are just being honest about the weight.

273 pounds, 5 speed gearbox, not street legal. Does Yamaha think they dont need to keep up with the Jones ? I dont understand it. They could sell a train load of them if they were lighter & street legal.

$500 and a few hours of your time is all it takes to get one street legal.

The new Wr450 is designed as a base machine for competition XC/GNCC/enduro or in OEM form a trailbike thats a legal use machine. Also I'd be willing to bet that in Can/EU/Aus that bike will be street DOT legal.

maybe they are just being honest about the weight.

I agree. They list "Wet Weight" which means off the showroom floor, FULL of all fluids and ready to hit the trails. A lot can be done with a 5 speeds. From my experience my 5 speed XR650L turned a lower RPM at freeway speeds than a TE610 with 6 gears. It's all about the gear ratios.

In comparison the KTM 450 XC-W is listed at a dry weight of 245ish pounds, but we don't know what dry is. Each manufacturer could have their own interpretation. Could just be no gas or it could be completely devoid of all fluids, oil, coolant, hydraulic, gas, smog equipment, etc. If you want that KTM because it's lighter and has a 6 speed, better bring a bigger downpayment because it MSRPs for $1400 more.

I watched this video last night and now I want one.

Guest Crusty

(quote) Krannie

Talks about the new WR 450 at the bottom.

I've owned my 450X since 2005.

During that time I've owned a '03 WR450, '06WR450, '07WR450, 2012 KTM500XCW, '08 KX540, and a few other bikes in between.

The only bike I still own is the 450X, if that tells you anything. All had certain positive traits, but none with as many as the X.

Especially the KTM: lots of expensive, lightweight components thrown together and made to look pretty and exotic. Pfffft.

I use my KX450 and 450X suspension as my benchmark.

Both have been re-sprung and re-valved for my weight and riding style by AS RACING.

I consider the KX forks to be as good as it gets, and the X forks to be as good as it gets for all-around applications and the ability to really adjust the suspension for different terrain.

The WR's are great for 35mph and below. Handle fantastic, great linear power (once set up), and great ergos.

The WR suspension, is barely adequate however. Cheap rear shock (tiny shaft and piston) and KYB's cheapeast open-bath forks.

I too have poured countless hours and dollars into talking up every tuner in the country, trying make 'magic' out of the stock WR KYB suspension.

Smart Performance (3 times), ESP (once), ProAction (once, and by far the best). The ProAction came the closest, but still had un-acceptable levels of deflection in embedded-rock terrain. I even purchased YZ shocks and forks to put on the WR.

That's when I bought the KX. Ding ding! Not an e-start, but sooo much better suspension. The WR went up for sale immediately.

Now, the 2012 WR suspension is current level (2013) YZ suspension. It is extremely good, and probably better than the KX/KYB stuff.

I have ridden the 2012 WR, and the suspension is very, very, good.

The power is what ever you want it to be, once it is un-corked. Then you re-mapp it with the tuning tool, to achieve whatever kind of power you want. It works. Stump-pulling torque right off idle is easy to achieve.

HOWEVER: The WR uses the YZ250 frame: High pegs, small cockpit, low seat, ultra rigid, and quick turning. It does NOT handle and turn like the '06-11 WR's did. It handles more aggressively. It is a 'race' geometry, that likes power on when manuveuring .

It has a small feel.

The X has a large feel.

The WR's had a 'medium sized' feel.

The KX has a 'gigantic sized' feel. Huge cockpit...

The new WR's, YZ's, and KTM's have a 'tiny' feel. Very small, very close, very twitchy.

So, if you are considering an X or a new WR, consider this:

The X can be made into a monster of a bike (power and suspension wise), and will always be 'large' feeling, but handles like a Honda</span>: once set up properly, it requires very little concentration to go fast and have fun. They feel top heavy, but not that heavy overall.

The WR is a YZ with a WR motor stuffed into it. Newer, FI, better suspension, but smaller, twitchier, and likes to be pushed hard to turn well. They feel heavy (bottom heavy) with a low CG, but still heavy. </span>

How? I'm trying to plate a 99 wr400 and am having problems. Thanks, SG

That's easy, sell yours and buy mine....it comes with a plate on it already. :D

With a Rekluse clutch!

With a Rekluse clutch!

I prefer to call it a Rekluse crutch, it makes it look like I can ride. <_<

Wish Yamaha would get their act together and make a street legal WR450, with fuel injection and a six speed wide ratio transmission.

With a Rekluse clutch!

I prefer to call it a Rekluse crutch, it makes it look like I can ride. <_<

Wish Yamaha would get their act together and make a street legal WR450, with fuel injection and a six speed wide ratio transmission.

agree with this... (the WR450 part, not the crutch part)

now if they can make it more like the WRF than a WRR, that would be something

I did agree with Krannie's paste about the WRF feeling small; my WR250F had a larger feel from the cockpit than the WR450F does, which is surprising

Share the secret, a plate has become a problem! Thanks, SG

The new Wr450 is designed as a base machine for competition XC/GNCC/enduro or in OEM form a trailbike thats a legal use machine. Also I'd be willing to bet that in Can/EU/Aus that bike will be street DOT legal.

Street legal in Australia

4870-7484.jpg

and equipped with Safari gas tanks.

WR450F%202012,.jpg

But from the sounds of it, "cramped", "small feel" and "cockpit" are all characteristics I will not be comfortable with.