bboyle9

DR difficulties

So here's the deal, my 99 dr650 has 17k on it. no engine mods, I've had it since June and added about 8k to the odometer. I recently road it to San Francisco and back and on the way back I suspected that it was leaking a little oil. The reason being, it smelt like oil was burning and it wasn't gas leaking so there weren't too many other options. Got home changed the oil and filter and everything ran fine for the last two Weeks.

Fast forward to a couple days ago and the bike just won't run right. First it won't even idle unless the choke is on. I had to stay on the gas to keep it from dying. Its not sputtering at all when I'm in hear and riding but the second I come off the gas its dead. Tried starting it yesterday no luck. There's plenty of gas, I ran it wit the reserve on and still same result.

I imagine its something with the carb, but I don't have the tools or any idea of how take the thing apart without breaking it.

I'm more concerned about the oil residue that's on the cooling fins and around where the top end meets the engine cases.

I haven't really tried to diagnose the problem I was just looking for some directions or ideas.

im no mechanic but This seems bad, hopefully someone will tell me its not.

failure to run without choke is typically a plugged pilot jet.

Cheap.

Might not fit the oil leak, but hopefully tntmo will jump in here with far more DR experience than I.

Trophyhunter might be able to help, too.

Leaking oil could be a blown or cracked gasket somewhere.

Carb might still have some water in it from your SF Bay Area Bridge crossing.

Probably a good time to check the valves anyways.

Try bumpstarting it on a big hill like Juniper or Washington. If it doesn't start by the bottom of the hill just leave it there.

Yea tried bumpstarting it going down the 805 to 8 east merge and I ended up just sliding the back tire all over the place in rush hour traffic. Maybe I'll just buy a pumper carb and the Procycle 790 kit and call it a day

I don't think a new carburetor is necessary given the only likely issue is a clogged pilot jet. It's an easy fix too, seriously. i'm no mechanic and it's something even I can do on the trail with nothing but a wrench and metal coin.

1) remove the float bowl.

2) locate the pilot jet.

3) remove the pilot jet (just unscrew it).

4) blow it out with compressed air.

5) check to see that debris is removed, replace parts and start 'er up.

Chances are you don't even need to buy a new jet, but god forbid you do, we're talking about $6. Of course, it's not a bad idea to replace it anyway as once they clog once, they tend to get clogged again. Save your money on the carb, you may need it for the oil issue.

Plugged pilot jet as mentioned from description. The float bowl screws were put on by a maniacal robot with red loctite....or so it seems. I have a manual impact driver for that and some jet cleaning wires. A new pilot jet would be your best bet though.

Oil leak. Cam Chain Tensioner gasket is the most likely cause. Not a big deal.

http://www.advrider....62&postcount=32 click on problems/failures. Scroll thru to find the CCT gasket fix.

As always, my garage and my limited knowledge are open for ya. You have my number.

I am selling my FCR39 pumper. I bought the TM40 pumper just so mine would match my son's in case we get the chance to do a trip together. It helps to have both bikes the same in case of maintenance issues.

Being a '99..... check your http://www.kientech.com/DR650TorqueLimiter.html VIN based on this post. Hopefully you have a VIN after Suzuki went back to the way it should be.

I am selling my FCR39 pumper. I bought the TM40 pumper just so mine would match my son's in case we get the chance to do a trip together. It helps to have both bikes the same in case of maintenance issues.

Selling your FCR? How much are you asking? I'm looking for a replacement for the dellorto on my '94 lc4. Word is the fcr is the preferred alternative.

So here's the deal, my 99 dr650 has 17k on it. no engine mods, I've had it since June and added about 8k to the odometer. I recently road it to San Francisco and back and on the way back I suspected that it was leaking a little oil. The reason being, it smelt like oil was burning and it wasn't gas leaking so there weren't too many other options. Got home changed the oil and filter and everything ran fine for the last two Weeks.

Fast forward to a couple days ago and the bike just won't run right. First it won't even idle unless the choke is on. I had to stay on the gas to keep it from dying. Its not sputtering at all when I'm in hear and riding but the second I come off the gas its dead. Tried starting it yesterday no luck. There's plenty of gas, I ran it wit the reserve on and still same result.

I imagine its something with the carb, but I don't have the tools or any idea of how take the thing apart without breaking it.

I'm more concerned about the oil residue that's on the cooling fins and around where the top end meets the engine cases.

I haven't really tried to diagnose the problem I was just looking for some directions or ideas.

I agree with Paul on the pilot jet. DR's are prone to leaking base gaskets, could be the problem with the oil leak. If you just locked up the rear tire while bump starting, it's sounds like the cylinder may have been full of gas. It sounds like carb rebuild time. If you need a hand, I can help.

does not idle- replace or clean pilot jet--------- free or $7

oil leak- gasket OR just torque down the bolts--------- free or cheap but a pain

won't bump- stuck needle valve; cylinder is filled with gas-replace needle valve----------- $60 and an hour worth of labor

oil change- $20 and an hour of labor

FCR are a great carb, but more finicky than the CV carbs from what I understand; also, make sure the boots on both sides with fit the new carb

Thanks for all the offers guys. I imagine a carb rebuild should be in the works, I've just been reluctant to start tearing things apart with my limited know how.

Sorta reassuring to hear that the problem may be easily fixed. When I make some time I'll look at it and bug one of you guys to help me fix it. Its prolly due for some engine work anyhow

Thanks for all the offers guys. I imagine a carb rebuild should be in the works, I've just been reluctant to start tearing things apart with my limited know how.

You should check your PMs

I work night shift, and am bored during the day. If you are available M-F from 0800-1300 I can help you out.

Welp, goofyfooter and I spent a couple hours yesterday cleaning out the carb and I found that the little jet(pilot jet?) was clogged. I cleaned it out, put everything back together, started back Iono problem.

There was a bunch of junk coming out of the exhaust, kinda like a thick smokey gunk when I have it some gas, there's still oil leaking from somewhere and I notice it now has a busted forkseal. Oh well at least I got it running.

On another note, goofy and I went on a quick test ride where his new to him dr350 managed to stop working. I had to ride back to the house and come rescue him once again. "victory is short lived"

Stupid auto correct, I meant to say the bike started "no problem"