carguy

SDAR BBQ 2007

I got the day off. I'm in.

Last time was a blast except for the little scrape and broken clutch line I got on the pre ride so I'm planning on being there. If you bring the guiness knock off I'd try that one. Is there any plans for a early morning pre ride? Border road? Meet at tecate and come in the back way or something else?

I'm still wondering that myself. I inquired in an earlier post. Stlill don't know if I should just drive the little dirtball car down or drag a scoot with :)

Is there any plans for a early morning pre ride? Border road? Meet at tecate and come in the back way or something else?

I'm still wondering that myself. I inquired in an earlier post.

I was planning on a ride. Pre ride or post ride - I'm not picky. Maybe both.

I can find that Stage Coach Road from the top now without getting lost so maybe we could complete last year's ride.

20070420StagecoachRd0015x7resize.jpg

Last time was a blast except for the little scrape and broken clutch line I got on the pre ride...

I only got off a couple times when I rode this, but I managed to get off on the side away from the cliff.

20070420StagecoachRd007640x485.jpg

I only took the road on the north. The road on the south is supposed to be much more difficult. I'm thinking take the raod on the south on the way down and the north road on the way back. There's also some roads west of the Stage Coach Road that I've been meaning to explore but have never got around to.

Water Optional

a4_camel_bones.jpg

A Tecate meet around 9:00 AM sounds good.

EDIT: CHANGE OF MEET PLACE

Saturday July 7, 2007 9:00 AM

Meet at the Jacumba Valero

EDIT LINK TO PRE-BBQ INFORMAL RIDE THREAD

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1359

I'll be sure to bring a mo-mo :D

I've been trying to figure out what a MO-MO is all morning. I finally figured out you meant MO-TO. I guess I'm slow.

Well, here's the write up from the BBQ 2006

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197

"Who's going riding" thread from the last Stagecoach Road ride

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=199

Carguy had posted a photo of some bighorn sheep, but I can't seem to find it now. They sure were pretty though. I guess he deleted it; doesn't want us looking at his sheep. Go ahead and be that way Carguy.

Write up from the last ride on the Stagecoach Road

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=202

I've heard that the roads down the really steep hills were called "skid roads" because the wagon drivers would lock the brakes on their wagons and skid down the hill. I've also heard they were called "skid roads" because the drivers would drag an uprooted tree behind them to provide more braking power.

I imagine going down those hills in an old top-heavy stage coach and all I can think of saying is "Pass me that bottle of whiskey!"

After reaching the bottom and getting ready to jump back on the freeway ,mikeyB saw a road that headed back up the other side and wanted to at least check it out.. well of course it got steeper,and rockier,and steeper, and rockier, till there was no sense trying to stop on it and turn around, so step'in and fetch'in we went,.and yes, fear will make you a better rider,!!! .lucky for us, we all scaled it without a crash an burn.so we stopped at the top and passed around the toilet paper around.. thanks mikeyb !!! . I was going to buy new shorts this week anyway.

After reading this quote from last year, I just have to wonder if the south fork isn't one of those "skid roads" even on a motorcycle.

Back inthe 80s I worked in aservice department of a mc shop and some guy came in and inquired if his roadracing bike was ready. We told him that not all the parts were in but the machine should be done by Monday afternoon. He then exclaimed "What'll I do without my mo-mo over the weekend?" We all chuckled over that, and I like to use the term from time to time. And so it is indeed a "mo-mo" that I shall tote to the upcoming barbeque. :D

Don't get anybody started about skidroads OR skidmarks :D

Don't get anybody started about skidroads OR skidmarks :D

For those of you that suffer from excessive skid marks ater a long ride...

..........Try the new " THOR RACING "

........anti-skid mark riding underwear...

300009moonshinefs6.jpg

g25794bk6.jpg

Ya, right D/D'.. like I'm going to leave that one alone.

Well then, you'll just skid up your riding bloomers. That reminds me....anybody need to bring buns for the barbeque?

That's just a sample of the good natured silliness that will be going on at the barbeque. Everybody, come on down and join us :D

I will probably go with my two kiddos -- if they are behaving. I will confirm next week. I don't want to bring them around if they are acting like this.

baby.jpg

just to be safe, and on Carguys behalf, I think we better make all babies and small children check their weapons at the front door :D:D:D:D

Count me in - I've been meaning to meet you guys face to face for a while. Are the planned rides Noobie-on-a-KLR friendly?

Also, I have a friend that might be interested in coming along but he only has a green sticker (no plate). Would be he ok on these rides?

Are the planned rides Noobie-on-a-KLR friendly?

That's a hard one to answer. I've only been on the north loop; that's supposed to be the easy one. There were a lot of loose rocks on it and my bike bounced around in a few places. It's not a maintained road, but it's not washed out anywhere. It was probably blasted out of the side of the mountain with black powder. They did a pretty good job of making roads back in the old days.

It's pretty narrow for a 4x4 or even a horse-drawn wagon, but KLR's have traversed that road without a mishap. I think it really depends on you.

Also, I have a friend that might be interested in coming along but he only has a green sticker (no plate). Would be he ok on these rides?

You need a plated bike. We will be riding on highways. Even the Stagecoach road requires a plate. As you get close to it, there's a sign that says "Highway legal vehicles only beyond this point."

Are the planned rides Noobie-on-a-KLR friendly?

You're welcome to give it a try. Here's some more pics to help you decide if you want to try. As you probably already know, trails always look more difficult in real life than in pictures.

This is somewhere near the top

20070420StagecoachRd002640x485.jpg

This is also somewhere near the top

20070420StagecoachRd003640x485.jpg

Same area

20070420StagecoachRd004640x485.jpg

One last pic of the same area

20070420StagecoachRd005640x485.jpg

Somewhere around the middle

20070420StagecoachRd008640x485.jpg

Near the bottom

20070420StagecoachRd006BottomatI-86.jpg

The rock walls here are probably the remnants of old Stagecoach buildings.

sbbq.gif

woooooooHOOOOOOOOOO ! ! !

Awesome John, I'll plan on seeing ya'll then !

redarmybomb.gif

Im in,I had to wait for last minute cuz of family and ex-qb will probably be joining me,someone posted a ride meeting at the valero I hope this is the only ride out of carguys place.PS i am bringing the trlr so PM me if you know me and want to crash in the trlr saturday night after festivities and maybe more riding sunday?

Near the bottom

20070420StagecoachRd006BottomatI-86.jpg

The rock walls here are probably the remnants of old Stagecoach buildings.

The last pic is Mountain Springs. The spring still flows today, just took this pic a hour ago.

Mountainspring.jpg

Still a fun ride, didn't see the sheep this time.

Se ya at the BBQ. :ph34r::dance2::ph34r:

didn't see the sheep this time.

Cause they seen you first. :ph34r:

Does carguy own a pool :)

Don't know, but a pool would be great!

I'd like to attend and hopefully my wife can make it too ... how many women folk will be there?

I saw no dircetions posted, can you PM those to me John? Thanks!

Does carguy own a pool :D

Don't know, but a pool would be great!

I'd like to attend and hopefully my wife can make it too ... how many women folk will be there?

I saw no dircetions posted, can you PM those to me John? Thanks!

As far as the pool, I am sure I can wip one up. Got a truck. :)

redneckpool.jpg

Directions are in the "Members Only Section"

Does carguy own a pool :D

Knowing of carguy's sordid past (SEABEE Chief :) ), I'm pretty sure he could rig anything we want :D I, for one, would like to put-in a req. for a back-country slip-n-slde and a water wiggle :)

Waddaya say Chief, I know ya still got it :D

Deb and Courtney will be coming out around noonish. Bring her along Brett, and the ladies can "talk story" :)