I just picked up a Weestrom and need to put together some gear. Being in Southern CA, the challenge is staying cool, while providing good protection. I hear the Motoport gear is great for that, but it sure is expensive. I'm fine with paying the price when it's worth it. Being that they are local, I was hoping some members on here have experience with the gear that they could share. Mainly in comfort, wear and breathability. Any input would be great. Thanks!

I just picked up a Weestrom and need to put together some gear. Being in Southern CA, the challenge is staying cool, while providing good protection. I hear the Motoport gear is great for that, but it sure is expensive. I'm fine with paying the price when it's worth it. Being that they are local, I was hoping some members on here have experience with the gear that they could share. Mainly in comfort, wear and breathability. Any input would be great. Thanks!

It's actually not expensive compared to comparable gear from others like BMW and Klim.

Don't tell Kevin Wayne I said other gear was comparable. You'll get a oral dissertation on how poorly made everything else is.

"Everything else is crap!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I prefer my gear to be modular. The Scorpion ADV jacket is just that and comes as a shell, warming layer, and waterproofing layer. If I need more protection (and I do = faller) I wear my Armor under it and leave the warming layer off.

The Klim Pants are MONEY and I tend to use my Armor under them also.

IF you fall on the road not much gear (including theirs) will really hold up perfectly. There is a reason that I have a Kangaroo Leather 1 piece; ALL Racing organizations require them and if you showed up at tech with that stuff, you would get sent home (not to mention laughed at)

Protecting your body from the shock of impact is more important because the impact is what breaks bones and tears the soft stuff.

All the poo-poo aside, the Motoport stuff is pretty nice.

Haven't seen any Motoport for a long time. I remember when they started out in North County back in the early 90s. They had a place right in Escondido about a mile from my house. They had reasonably priced gear, with some new design innovations, but at that time it was sort of "clunky" and bulky fitting and not the best (or worst) quality. Back in those days, it seems that Hein Gericke was one of the top brands. Anyway, glad to hear that Motoport is putting out good quality stuff these days.

i REALLY like my MotoPort stuff,

it's SUPER ventilated(*almost too much in morning rides with hoodie under)

pads stay in place and work well(*heh, i try to make things interesting :ph34r: )

being that i am oddly constructed, it's nice to know that i have the right pad for the right part...

not a 6-3 version of where it should be to "protect".

easy to wash, i have worn it in dirt, street, and most any moto application....best padding i have for potential falls

for ME, if(*when) i go down, i want to know i am doing my best for MY body, and kevlar and armor works well

B)...small price to pay vs. almost any injury..but as with ALL things, nothing is invincible

You know Paulmbowers likes Motoport. He better since he's on the front page of their website.

marathon-air-mesh-kevlar-S.jpg

Baldbeemer had a Marathon Air Mesh Kevlar jacket made to my specs last year. I do not regret my husband spending that much money on me for a minute. I use the liner from my old Kilimanjaro jacket and I'm good to go for winter and summer. It may seem a little expensive but it appears to be so well made that I'm pretty sure (knock on wood) this will be the last motorcycle jacket I will ever own. I plan on getting a pair of pants to go with my jacket soon.

Baldbeemer has an air mesh kevlar jacket and pants that he bought off of the flea market on ADV. The gear was like new for a fraction of the price. If you find something that's not a perfect fit for you Motoport will happily alter it for you.

marathon-air-mesh-kevlar-S.jpg

Huh. Had not seen that...

Motoport is like chainlube, oil and tires, a topic which I find better to stay out of. Suffice to say it's controversial- both their products and their owner.

But, as the question was asked...

I like mine a great deal, wear it all the time. If I did more trail riding, I might have something a little lighter, but truth is, it's all I wear. Wear it on long dualsport rides (but don't call them ADV!) and wear it on Desert Dash. Wear it in cold, wear it in 100+. Wear it on street, wear it in dirt.

I suppose one could say I like it. The idea of falling on pavement in something else, even leather (which I've owned as well) does not appeal.

Yes, I'm quite sure I'd be laughed out of the ABC123 Pro Race Circle Jerk Series, etc, etc. So save your breath, and wear whatever you'd like.

If it were stolen today, I'd go order it again tomorrow and figure out how to pay for it later.

I have the Kevlar Mesh Gear and love it. On the road, I definitely feel more protected in it than any other gear. It also vents better than anything else I've worn. The only negative is that it doesn't look as hip as other gear. :wacko::heh:

Like Mistress said, look on the ADV flea market for used gear. Motoport gear holds up VERY well, so used it's definitely an option. I bought my jacket on there and took it up to Wayne (he's in San Marcos) to have it customized to fit. The pants I bought new when he had a discount (Christmas?) going.

It will take some time. Wayne is a very talkative guy, and worth listening to if you're going to buy from him. Take your time, enjoy the process, you'll be living with the results for a long time. Bring your favorite jeans/pants for fitting purposes.

Yes, everybody keep your shorts on, I know he offended many in the club. Save breath.

Some things I'm glad I did:

Radio pocket- works great.

Zippered pocket on outside of sleeve- works great for toll money, etc

Omitted chest pockets- gained ventilation

Waist zipper and shorten hemline of jacket.

Slash pockets instead of on-seam on pants

I have the Kevlar Mesh Pants with the best armour he makes for it....and WELL worth the coin in my opinion.

I have the old 2000 Denier Cordura Jacket at least 10 years old, and it's still holding up. Once it's to a point where I need to replace it, I'll get the Kevlar Mesh Jacket.

Wayne also stands behind his warranty. I had the cordura jacket repaired a few times at no cost or minimal cost, and I had an old pair of his Aerotec pants and he repaired the many times also until they were completely worn out.

Yes, everybody keep your shorts on, I know he offended many in the club. Save breath.

At the time I bought my jacket I mentioned to Wayne that a few people had gotten offended. He was appologetic and completely unaware of how he came across to the group. He's just really pasionate about his products. Bottom line - you don’t have to like Wayne (you’re not looking to marry the guy for Pete’s sake) in order to like the product he puts out.

Slash pockets instead of on-seam on pants? I would like to see your pants before I buy a pair for myself.

As my lovely Mistress noted, I have the kevlar mesh jacket and pants. I also have a pair of the stretch kevlar pants that I bought off the ADV Flea Market. For So-cal I would only recommend the mesh gear. The stretch kevlar just doesn't have enough air venting. The biggest appeal for me that I think hasn't been mentioned yet is this; where else can you have a CUSTOM MADE TO YOU jacket/pants. All of your measurements taken and considerations made for your needs and riding style. As the Prez mentioned, lifetime warranty. @ dirtdame- you are 100% on the mark that their gear doesn't have much style. It's kind of klunky and funky looking. Def function first. I am saving my nickels so that later this year I can replace the "Crap" pants that Z has been wearing for the last 2 years and get a mesh kevlar pair.

Slash pockets instead of on-seam on pants? I would like to see your pants before I buy a pair for myself.

You can see them here in the image below. Another mod I'd make is to have the inside jacket pocket zippers open by pulling FORWARD and close by pulling BACK.

It's a long story.

I'm not a flexible guy (yoga is a problem) so on-seam pockets piss me off- they are hard to access when geared up- not impossible but slash pockets are FAR easier. Remember, also- the pants are cut for the seated, riding position, so yes, these pants make my ass look floppy.

I had the jacket pocket zippers go vertically- much easier to operate than top or the top flap designs, but are a bit harder to load a folded map- and yes, I carry them.

This is quad armor, and does have a bit of TinMan feel to it when walking. Riding, feels fine.

Oh- these pants are mesh front, stretch rear. Very comfortable.

You have to decide what kind of boots you'll be wearing. A street boot requires shin protection in the pants, moto boots don't.

As I've mentioned, I had them make a water bladder pocket on the back, which makes me look a little like Eye-gore (what hump?) and that had had limited success. Yes, I carry water, but when full it pulls the jacket at the front of the nect- not so comfortable. Maybe a smaller bladder or a gusset in the pocket for expansion would help.

pmb.jpg

Some things I'm glad I did:

Radio pocket- works great.

Zippered pocket on outside of sleeve- works great for toll money, etc

Omitted chest pockets- gained ventilation

Waist zipper and shorten hemline of jacket.

Slash pockets instead of on-seam on pants

all mesh jacket(*Ultra II) & mesh/stretch for my pants(*police) w/hip pads and sacrum

VERY good thoughts here...chest pockets could go without, however makes good cell/cash pocket.

slash pockets, especially, would be good choice...i went cargo pockets and use them more than i thought i would

bottom line, it holds up well, and for the price, best i have seen.

B)...other thing i would have done is not have the zipper flap logo(* a little "flamboyant" for me ;) )

...other thing i would have done is not have the zipper flap logo(* a little "flamboyant" for me ;) )

LOL, I was going to ask him about removing that as well, and was hoping it wouldn't offend! :lol:

LOL, I was going to ask him about removing that as well, and was hoping it wouldn't offend! :lol:

Nah. He does not like logos either, and had no problem when I ordered mine.