KKug joined me for a ride in Yuma this past Saturday and Sunday. We started off Saturday with a ride in Kofa Wilderness Refuge, Ken and I started off the ride by going back to the Big Eye Mine. Neat scenery on the way in and out of that place, then we proceeded to ride our bikes through the Mt ridge pass and we ended up on the other side of the Mt's ( the back side of Big Mine). Some time along the way I ended up with a back flat (here we are in the middle of nowhere and I picked up a nail, go figure). Ken was helpful on the change because I had sliced open my finger the day before and I was lame using my hand. But for the day we packed in a good 100 mile ride. I would like to mention that we only covered a ΒΌ of the Kofa (the south east corner, lot of riding still in Kofa left to do). Sunday we headed out to Red Cloud, on our way in the morning we saw some deer, and I got a good pic of a buck with its doe's. We proceeded to make our way up on top of a hill and got some pic's of the river. Most of the ride out to Red Cloud for the most part was a lot of fun until I got a hair up my butt to go explore when we got past Red Cloud Mine. We went up this one rock canyon that after we made it through Ken and I looked at each other and thought the same thing and that was hope we do not have to go through any more crap like what we just did. We found some more mines in our exploration, but the weird thing about it was that Ken and felt like we were on the Moon or Mars because that is what the scenery depicted. Thank god Ken had his GPS and found a loop for us to make it out of that place so we did not have to go through the crap that we just went through. We made it out ok, all in all we had a good trip and Ken and I enjoyed a couple of Beers at Fishers before we headed for the barn. Enjoy the pic's.

Thanks Dan for leading me on a good ride. More pictures to come .

On my LIST of areas to ride.....looks great.

Can't wait to stop having partial weekend committments so I make the trip out. Keep us posted on the next one.

I am going to put one more ride together in March.. It will be one of the last weekend in March, day one will be a 200 mile ride to Blythe and back, day two will be a new area in Kofa. Let me know.

Can't wait to stop having partial weekend committments so I make the trip out. Keep us posted on the next one.

I just blocked out that weekend to go along. Baring any unforeseen issues, I will be finally able to do that ride.

Ok so I got my bike all ready for the Dash so here are some more pictures.

We rode in -near the Yuma proving range. We got real close up to the surveillance balloon that me and Bagster saw on our Pacheco ride. It was good to know that someone was watching us. Kind of like a Spot :heh:

IMAG0434.jpg

My fearless leader.

019.jpg

025.jpg

017.jpg

We stopped and hiked to some mines. Unbelievable how remote and unaccessible some of the mines were.

015.jpg

An old miners lawn chair. :lmaosmiley:

012.jpg

A air driven gizmo to sharpen drill bits.

014.jpg

On Sunday we rode near the CO river. Unreal how dry and desolate the terrain is. We saw a huge heard of deer (10 ) every time we tell the story the number goes up ( at one time it was 20 ) If you can zoom in to Dans picture you can see a Buck with a huge rack . He was one happy camper because he had a whole bunch of girlfriends with him. :smile_anim:

022.jpg

024.jpg

We stopped at Fishers landing to check out the camping. Dry camping $5-10 per nite with a store,shower, bar nearby. Looks a fun place to go to check out the scenery when it warms up.

All and all it was a good weekend. Thanks again Dan.

If you can zoom in to this you can see the big buck with a rack.

I will most likely be in on this ride as well, as this is one of my favorite areas. Dan do you know of a LEGAL trail from Picacho road (which turns into Inter-park rd) that goes over the mountain to the Walters Camp area? The last time I was at Walters we tried to get to Picacho but every trail we tried was signed closed. The only legal route I know is to take Inter-Park to Indian pass heading west out to Ogilby, then north to go around the mountains. From there several trails run along both sides of 78 which will get you to Walters. I sure would like to find a more direct route from Yuma to Blythe on the CA side. The AZ side is pretty easy and has some great Scenery....

yes I do but you have to start out on the AZ side

I will most likely be in on this ride as well, as this is one of my favorite areas. Dan do you know of a LEGAL trail from Picacho road (which turns into Inter-park rd) that goes over the mountain to the Walters Camp area? The last time I was at Walters we tried to get to Picacho but every trail we tried was signed closed. The only legal route I know is to take Inter-Park to Indian pass heading west out to Ogilby, then north to go around the mountains. From there several trails run along both sides of 78 which will get you to Walters. I sure would like to find a more direct route from Yuma to Blythe on the CA side. The AZ side is pretty easy and has some great Scenery....