kkug

Big Bike Ride Dec 11

We got off to a late start. Had to heard some cats around San Diego. When we got to Tecate at 10:30 + We met SDAR member Spuds ( Brian ) He has a Buell Ulysses and was chomping at the bit to ride some dirt roads.It was a bit cool but every one was dressed well. Got threw the boarder ok and hit the dirt on Compadre rd. Spuds made a big splash threw the water crossing and was all smiles. I din,t take any pictures on the ride but Chris ,Diego, and driss took some .

We stooped at Rancho Santa Veronica for a #ee break. Proceeded to take a dirt road back to Hwy 3. No issues,not at lot deep sand, but some ruts that you had to watch out for.

We got to Guadalupe Valley and went to find Driss,s friend but he was not around. Then we took some back roads and made it to Mustafa,s Restaurant for a great lunch. We chatted with the owner ( Used to be partners with the Prohough Egg Ranch-- Where Cal State San Marcos is now --so we had some local connections and he was originally from Morocco so Driss and him relay hit it off. )We had a good time their.

We blasted back to Tecate before it got dark and enjoyed a painfull cold ride back home. 289 Miles total from my house.

We need to go back because their are ton,s of eating places. And a lot of dirt roads to explore in that area.

Ok guys post some pictures.

Later the Kug

KKug

"enjoyed a painfull cold ride " That was the fun part, right? unsure.gif

e36bc3a3.jpgCold? Where? Are you kidding it was freezing especially riding the DRZ with no wind protection but we all had enaugh layers I missed the heated grips and the bmw rally suit.Guys thank you very much for making this a special day where we all had a good time and a fun ride with absolutely no issues.

1323698157[/url]' post='117321']

Glad you guys had a great time! Driss I thought you were going to take the GSA out for the ride?

Michael,

Ken organized the trip and I can't thank him and chris enaugh for making everything go smooth just the perfect planing, Diego joined us also bringing his new HP2 and he introduced his bike to its first Baja trip.

To answer your question again after this trip I am more than ever set on not using the GSA on anything but a fire road, there's a bike for every job and I intend to do just that, by the way the DRZ did great on the dirt and it cruzed at 80mph when needed performing like a charm I am kind of impressed of the capabilities of this bike and when you add the reliability that everyone that owned one swears by I think I am set here on what to use for Baja's dirt.Now we need another Mike's sky ranch weekend trip but not until 2012 maybe the first or the second weekend of January, Ken, Sandra, Diego are you guys listening?

1323698157[/url]' post='117321']

Glad you guys had a great time! Driss I thought you were going to take the GSA out for the ride?

Michael,

Ken organized the trip and I can't thank him and chris enaugh for making everything go smooth just the perfect planing, Diego joined us also bringing his new HP2 and he introduced his bike to its first Baja trip.

To answer your question again after this trip I am more than ever set on not using the GSA on anything but a fire road, there's a bike for every job and I intend to do just that, by the way the DRZ did great on the dirt and it cruzed at 80mph when needed performing like a charm I am kind of impressed of the capabilities of this bike and when you add the reliability that everyone that owned one swears by I think I am set here on what to use for Baja's dirt.Now we need another Mike's sky ranch weekend trip but not until 2012 maybe the first or the second weekend of January, Ken, Sandra, Diego are you guys listening?

I couldn't agree more!! Now I just need to convince my wifey that its ok to have 3 bikes in the garage!!

Guest Crusty

This ride is sounding better, sounds like my XR680L would be a great bike for this?

I wouldn't want to hold you guys up on the bigger bikes!

I would like to get "IN" on the next one.

Craig.

The only Baja weekend in Jan. that would work for me is 21st. Sounds like a fun ride. Happy Birthday Driss!

The ride was fun and cold. No problems at all and the border getting back took all of 5 minutes. The pace was a little slow in the dirt but the 990 gets up to 115 real quick on the street. It was nice to meet Brian (I forget his screen name). As usual Kug put a nice ride together with a great lunch stop (to bad my wife has me on some diet her nutritionist recommended). I'll post up a video later of everyone singing Driss happy birthday.

Covered in Dust

post-13540-018706800 1323728558_thumb.jp

post-13540-071628200 1323728572_thumb.jp

post-13540-008128700 1323728585_thumb.jp

post-13540-034447500 1323728603_thumb.jp

post-13540-075957300 1323728615_thumb.jp

1323714909[/url]' post='117351']

The only Baja weekend in Jan. that would work for me is 21st. Sounds like a fun ride. Happy Birthday Driss!

The 21st works for me too lets start planing now it will be a weekend ride leaving Saturday and coming home Sunday and I want to try to connect compadre to Laguna Hanson on dirt if it's possible going in.

I will post the ride in the Baja forum and we will see who wants to come.

I wish I had some pictures to post but I didn't bring a camera as I was trying to go lite and any photographic evidence might have been problem as my wife forbids me riding in Mexico :rolleyes: . Now, I was a little apprehensive about crossing the border yesterday, but I wouldn't have been had I'd known before-hand what a great bunch of guys I end up riding with. So, Thanks to all involved for the issue free ride that had just enough sand to test my 17" cast wheels!

1323714909[/url]' post='117351']

The 21st works for me too lets start planing now it will be a weekend ride leaving Saturday and coming home Sunday and I want to try to connect compadre to Laguna Hanson on dirt if it's possible going in.

I will post the ride in the Baja forum and we will see who wants to come.

Maybe too much snow and too cold for me ! :wacko:

Did we mention that it was cold?

Covered in Snow

Nice Photo Chris. Looks like the makings of a Christmas card.

Did we mention that it was cold?

Covered in Snow

Nice Photo Chris. Looks like the makings of a Christmas card.

I borrow these photo's from the ADV site. I don't think I want to ride in the cold anymore than I have to.

Chris

Maybe too much snow and too cold for me ! :wacko:

So Driss here are some pics from a ride to Mikes.

Notice the Fruit of The Loom face Mask

18_15A.jpg

Taking a break !

23_20A.jpg

The Morning after--kind of nice out-once we got feeling back in our hands.

20_17A.jpg

Chris,

Between you and the Venezuelan Diego I knew I would get in trouble and this video shows I can't trust you guyslaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifOk now I need to know when is Chris's birthday because I will be the one to plan a trip then and I will make sure there is more senoritas in it and especially more camera coverage heck I will hire a news crew for the occasion.Chris, Ken thank you again for a great day in Baja.

1323740261[/url]' post='117404']

Here's what you have to put up with in Mexico on your birthday.

Chris

http://vimeo.com/33568733

Let's go riding Bajadrinks.gif

1323742196[/url]' post='117406']

Happy bday Driss! I'd like to go with you guys in Jan!

Sorry I missed that one...

CID the 990 is looking good - I need to make the "big bike" virgin run south, one of these days...

- glad you guys had a good time