KTMrad

9th Annual Desert Dash Dualsport Ride Feb. 2012

ENTRY IS NOW CLOSED.

The 9th Annual Anza Borrego Desert Dash Flyer is up on our site.....

February 25-26, 2012.

Start/Finish at Butterfield Ranch RV Park on Hwy. S2

Come join us for a weekend of camaraderie, great riding thru scenic canyons, fun trails, the infamous Squeeze and Heart Attack Hill, and stop to check out mudcaves and other badlands formations along the way.

DAY 1 will be about 200 miles.

DAY 2 will be about 140 miles.

Maximum mileage between gas is 95 miles on DAY 2...with emergency gas option for the Blu In...IF THEY HAVE GAS !

It is suggested that ALL RIDERS have experience in riding rocky and sandy sections. This would be a challenging/difficult ride for riders with no experience.

Hope to see a lot of you there. This ride usually sells out before the date of the ride, so get your entries in early if you want to go.

SDAR Supporting/Contributing Members...Please REMEMBER you get $10 off your Desert Dash Entry.

Thanks !

Any room for another sponsor?

Thanks

Bundy

Sure, always room for sponsors....PM sent.

Maximum mileage between gas is 95 miles on DAY 2...with emergency gas option for the Blu In...IF THEY HAVE GAS !

FYI....talked to Tony at the repair / parts shop next to the old Desert Rose at Split Mountain and 78 on Saturday...he said he would stock up on fuel and sell to us if needed. Just let him know.

side note....if you are riding in / through OW, have the need for fuel and Blu Inn is out....Tony always has fuel to sell.

Tony is a local resident of OW and could use lots of business. Good guy that does good work in the motorcycle community.

Assuming my truck is needed as the EMT or Support Truck this year (it will be avialable), as it was last year. I have no qualms about having people throw a few gas cans in the bed as long as they are strapped into the Utili-Trak.

I want to do this ride but not sure if my skills are up to it. I have some off road skills, definitely more road/track and supermoto time than dirt (roughly 90k miles under my belt). Been off-roading between my GS1200 and XR650L maybe 8 times and never crashed. My weakness is that I cannot change a tire nor a tube (guess I still have time).

Needless to say I can handle the rocks and trails. Will there be a support network (in case I get a flat)? Reel me in!

I want to do this ride but not sure if my skills are up to it. I have some off road skills, definitely more road/track and supermoto time than dirt (roughly 90k miles under my belt). Been off-roading between my GS1200 and XR650L maybe 8 times and never crashed. My weakness is that I cannot change a tire nor a tube (guess I still have time).

Needless to say I can handle the rocks and trails. Will there be a support network (in case I get a flat)? Reel me in!

Make a deal ahead of time with the sweep riders....bribe them with something good....bottle of Patron, perhaps? :king:

Make a deal ahead of time with the sweep riders....bribe them with something good....bottle of Patron, perhaps? :king:

LOL. Maybe a possibility!

There are plenty of people who are more than willing to help a fellow rider fix a flat. The more important aspect is to have a tube and the correct tools for your bike. There are sweep riders on this ride Who run very last to make sure everyone gets in. This is an excellent ride and is very well organized. Lots of fun for sure! This ride has lots of sand and does require some desert riding experience.

There are plenty of people who are more than willing to help a fellow rider fix a flat. The more important aspect is to have a tube and the correct tools for your bike. There are sweep riders on this ride Who run very last to make sure everyone gets in. This is an excellent ride and is very well organized. Lots of fun for sure! This ride has lots of sand and does require some desert riding experience.

Well I guess I have some time to work out my lack of skills. I need to get off this computer and hit more trails, and sand! Thanks.

Well I guess I have some time to work out my lack of skills. I need to get off this computer and hit more trails, and sand! Thanks.

read up on sand riding... I suck at it, but can still negotiate most of it ok

as for flats- easy to fix... again; read up on it, do it, then read it again... make sure you keep the Patron back at camp, so if sweep does have to help you, they can't have the patron until YOU make it back safely

tire tools- an 18 and 21" tube... inflation method; pump and/or lots of CO2... cotter pins if you have a castle nut...two or 3 tire irons... and wrenches for the axles on both ends...baby powder and or soap... I pick one or the other not both, and I know some with disagree with me; baby powder so the tube doesn't bind and abrade within the tire... soap so the bead slides in place easily. add them together and you have chalky slime water. your opinion may vary

go to the dash, bring your bike over to The Schwinn Inn, and we can heckle you while you practice, and bail you out if it goes awry...

join an informal ride with me before then, and I'll spend time showing you

Yea sure, send him to the Schwinn Inn where the Strawberry Banana Daqs and mudslides flow

SchwinnInn.jpg

Look for Schwinn wearing camo and a pink TuTu.

desertdashPinkTuTu.jpg

You can't miss this trailer...It's the 1 plastered with stickers on back

P1010578.jpg

All SDAR Contributing/Supporting Members....please remember you get $10 off your Desert Dash Entry.

Do we need to belong to the AMA to do this ride? Are there camping arrangements already in place at the RV resort (i.e. massive group camping allowed)? I usually just sleep in my truck. If so, is there a place you recommend I park to do this?

Eager to join the foray!

Fester

Do we need to belong to the AMA to do this ride? Are there camping arrangements already in place at the RV resort (i.e. massive group camping allowed)? I usually just sleep in my truck. If so, is there a place you recommend I park to do this?

Fester

No, you don't need to belong to the AMA, but as a rider....you should ! We need to keep track of the number of AMA participants.

You call Butterfield to make your reservations for campsites and tell them you're with the ride for a discount. Also, if you sleep in your truck, there are spots to the right as you pull thru past the office into the camping area to the right where you can just park your truck and pay for a tent space.

Lunch stops are set.....

Saturday free lunch for riders at Johnson's Landing at the Salton Sea includes:

• Cheeseburger and chips

or

• Hot Dog and chips

with all the fixin's...ketchup, mustard, relish, sauerkraut

If riders want something to drink, they must buy their drinks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday free lunch for the riders at Christmas Circle in Borrego Springs:

Sandwiches, drinks & snacks from Brown Bag Sandwich Company (courtesy of our own SCHWINN - Steve),

we'll have some condiments for the sandwiches.

1325043476[/url]' post='118255']
1325043038[/url]' post='118251']

Knowing my self as a not so great handy man I bought a case of Padron because I am sure I will need it.biggrin.gif

Sorry, Randy, I was not able to make it yesterday to the meeting. I picked my bike today from Alex at Kontiki and he said you may have another loop for bigger bikes during DD.

Is that true? I'd like to go, but limited to where the pig can go.

Thanks,

-George

Saturdays ride through grapevine canyon is a little sandy but not rocky or too technical. I would do it on a strom with knobbies.

I have been calling Butterfield for well over a month to reserve my usual cabin.....finally received a call back last week.

Turns out that all cabins have been reserved for this year. According to the guy on the phone...most people put down a reservation last year because of the off rain we had.

So, If you are not planning on going this year...please call and cancel your reservation. He did mention that they are expecting lots of cancellations which makes planning tough on everybody.

760-765-1463

I have been calling Butterfield for well over a month to reserve my usual cabin.....finally received a call back last week.

Turns out that all cabins have been reserved for this year. According to the guy on the phone...most people put down a reservation last year because of the off rain we had.

So, If you are not planning on going this year...please call and cancel your reservation. He did mention that they are expecting lots of cancellations which makes planning tough on everybody.

760-765-1463

I called today and got right through.. Must be something about you Hoss.. :torch:

Pyro is IN for this years Desert Dash! The check is in the mail today. I'll be looking for a riding partner(s) for saturday. I want to try getting started early this time and run the whole route if possible. See ya'll there! :smile_anim:

I'm trying to get the time off for this ride.

If I go then I'd be glad to ride with a Noob for half a day or so, so long as he has the tools appropriate for his bike (or has the same bike I do that day), his bike is properly maintained, and he's a friendly. I could even help with some riding technique if the Noob is friendly about it.

I'm trying to get the time off for this ride.

If I go then I'd be glad to ride with a Noob for half a day or so, so long as he has the tools appropriate for his bike (or has the same bike I do that day), his bike is properly maintained, and he's a friendly. I could even help with some riding technique if the Noob is friendly about it.

I'm in. I have some time to prepare but welcome your help! I'm only gonna ride on Saturday only.