This is a dual sport ride for all levels, it's "mostly" a KLR event but after all these years just about every model is representated.

Several of your fellow San Diego Aventure Riders will be there, myself (Ed), Maniac (Ian), DSFox (Deb), bigwvjumper (Jonathan),

bluefin2na (Tommy), and a bunch of other fine folks from around the country.

A range of 200 miles is perfect, lesser ranged bikes can work if you carry extra gas or have a friend with a large tank, tanker for you.

We usually ride in groups of 2-20 and nothing is organized at all, you can ride solo the whole time if you prefer. It's that kind of

non-event.

Basically we all meet in Death Valley on February 2nd - 5th at the Furnace Creek Campground. This is an "un-rally" since the park service

does not look kindly on organized group rides. We are just a bunch of friends who decided to go the same weekend. You will need to make

a reservation to camp this time of year, you can do that at http://www.recreation.gov You can also wimp out and stay at the "Furnace Creek

Resort" or "The Ranch at Furnace Creek", both are much more pricey than the campground and much less social (Cause we will all be at the

campground).

This used to be a pretty rowdy ADV event but they bailed when it turned into a dual sport ride with no uber-partying. It's important to note

that this isn't an organized ride, that will be clearer towards the end.

Maniac wrote over on the KLR650.net site: "So, to recap there's no food service, no raffle, no sponsored anything. You get to make your own

reservations and be responsible for your own rides, etc. That doesn't mean this weekend is not worth coming to, in fact, in my opinion it's

some of the best dual sport riding in the US! I will post some GPS tracks and waypoints for people to use (at your own peril). There will be

quite a few people there who are familiar with riding in the park, so buddy up and if they tell you "oh yeah, the hard part of the trail is

over" - don't believe them!"

He's pretty much right.

He also wrote; "If the ranger asks you at check in if you are with the Adventure riders, tell them "no way dude, I just stumbled into here by

accident! is there a starbucks nearby?" Also, please respect all park rules (mostly, don't speed or go the wrong way in the campground or

near the visitor center, also don't ride up on the curb at the visitor center, don't ask me how I know!). The park service are pretty nice

guys and gals but please respect that we are in a National Park. KLR riders are a pretty calm bunch but I just have to say it anyway.

Remember, this is not a rally, or event of any kind. If you are asked by a park service employee if you are with any group, the honest answer

is that you are NOT."

This is definitely a great time of year, albeit somewhat chilly, to ride in Death Valley. The nights are cold, the days are nice, the company

is awesome, and the scenery is spectacular.

I hope to see you there...I'm in Site 92

This is the Furnace Creek campsite list so far from the KLR650.net site:

Site# Name

68 Tubebender

70 bluefin2na and Wyliedog (aka bigwvjumper)

76 mtnmac

77 Geomoto

80 schiessco

82 Shroeder

83 danospacmatico

85 DS Fox

86 Maniac

88 Norcal camper

89 NVGTI

90 JD Diesel

91 wymanwinn

92 SnowAviation

93 Jaycal

98 windgineer

I havent counted exactly but it looks like we have about 20 riders "confirmed" so far, it's gonna be another great year in DV.

Ed

Morning report (roads, weather): http://www.nps.gov/deva/upload/Morning-Report.pdf

Furnace Creek Wx: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ce+creek%2C+ca

Other info: http://www.maturango.org/janetmuseum...athValley.html

Thanks Ed, Look forward to it for sure!!! It Does get cold up there, so bring your warm camping gear!!

When I went on this trip last year, I pretty much only knew tommy, and I had met jonathan and haley a couple times... I thought I was a little crazy loading my bikes and heading to Death Valley alone!....but it was an amazing trip....tommy is quality people, and he hangs out with quality people...and it made me realize that Death Valley is where I first met snowaviation, geomoto, maniac, dr. j........I've since taken several amazing riding trips with all these who have become great friends...Good people...Good times...:D Can't Wait!

I will have brakes this year when riding down TITUS CANYON,, yes i will.

Better start plannning

I will have brakes this year when riding down TITUS CANYON,, yes i will.

Better start plannning

Yes, you will have brakes this year Tommy! But, you will not have as much fun with them!!

Can't wait for DVD Daze 2012! See everyone there!

Just received a call from the Parks Department saying that Furnace Creek will be closed for sewer upgrades 2/1 and that the parks department will honor our reservations at another park. I'm not sure if it's just some spaces that will be closed or the whole campground. Has anyone else that's going to Death Valley for this ride received this call?

Chris

Just received a call from the Parks Department saying that Furnace Creek will be closed for sewer upgrades 2/1 and that the parks department will honor our reservations at another park. I'm not sure if it's just some spaces that will be closed or the whole campground. Has anyone else that's going to Death valley for this ride received this call?

Chris

Yes Chris a lot of us are getting the call. I am working on a plan now. We need to figure out what other campground they are offering us. Or we need to move the date of the ride.

NEW LOCATION FOR DEATH VALLEY DAZE: TEXAS SPRING CAMPGROUND AND SUNSET CAMPGROUND.

I just spoke with Furnace Creek campground. Tent campers will be moved to Texas Spring campground and RV campers to Sunset campground. They are both across the street from Furnace Creek. You don't need to do anything - your reservation automatically is transferred. These two campground are close to each other, but maybe not close enough to easily walk between them.

For the few people bringing RV's to this event, I believe that you might be able to stay with the tenters at Texas Spring. You might want to call Furnace Creek and explain that you wish your reservation moved there, and not to Sunset. Ask them about generators, as I don't know if they are allowed at Texas Spring.

Now, since those campgrounds are not as nice as Furnace Creek, in my opinion, we also have the option to re-group at Stovepipe Wells campground. Although, I have not stayed there and am not sure it's any better. They tell me that they would be able to move us to Stovepipe Wells, but that CG does not take reservations, so they can't do it "officially".

edit: stovepipe wells is essentially a gravel lot, so that is no good!

I would be really pissed if I was you guys. So pissed that I would move the event to sometime in March,,,, umm,,, so I could go

I would be really pissed if I was you guys. So pissed that I would move the event to sometime in March,,,, umm,,, so I could go

This would work for me also. But I'll go to Death Valley either way.

CiD

Edited by Covered in Dust

Update 12/8:

The Park Service is now telling people that RV's will not be allowed to stay at Texas Spring. If you have an RV, they will send you to Sunset campground, which is about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from Texas Spring. Obviously, this splits the group and is a big problem. We are working on a possible solution of another site, or maybe even changing the date. Please feel free to call the park service and complain about this. (760) 786-3200

I think they should put ALL of us in cabins at the Furnace Creek Inn, just for the hassle of it all!!....I think it really is wrong for them to not plan upgrades and block the time out....BEFORE a bunch of people make reservations MONTHS in advance.... :angry:

Team Suzuki (bboyle9 and myself) are almost done prepping his bike....... Ha see you guys there!

post-14322-079246500 1327431630_thumb.jp

Team Suzuki (bboyle9 and myself) are almost done prepping his bike....... Ha see you guys there!

I see Bboyle9's head injury is not giving any ongoing issues...

Maybe I am just an idiot...

Why not put everybody in Sunset? RV and Tent Campers? On every ADV ride I do (especially the multi-week ones) I camp at RV campgrounds when not on open range. More power, typically better facilities, and we are all together. Reserve an RV space and put 4-5 campers in it.

Done.

Are the campgrounds that snooty in DV? I have had never had issues in Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Montana, the Dakotas, etc so why should DV be any different?

Then again I am hitching a ride so I don't have to stress... :ph34r:

I don't think anyone is up in the San Gabriel Valley but I leaving for the Desert Daze around 2:30 Wednesday. I have room for 2 more bikes, gear, and riders if anyone wants to hitch a ride.

PM me.

John