Sign in to follow this  
kkug

Husky ABS

While cool and all I personally don't want it on my bike off-road. One more piece of electronics to leave me stranded somewhere unable to be fixed. Already have towed some out

Very cool to see technology advancing however.

I read lots of people saying this is just dumbing down bikes for people that can't/shouldn't ride anyway. This is way off base. When I first got mt 990 with ABS I thought I didn't want it and read up on how to turn it off. But after riding with it on the street I was really impressed with how hard I could brake without worrying about locking the front wheel. This said I really hate that I could not lock the rear wheel off road. My natural riding style is to slide the rear a little into turns going down hill. Not being able to do this was not fun on my first ride down a long steep down hill. I would like to be able to have the ABS on the front only with the rear with normal braking.

Covered in Dust

I read lots of people saying this is just dumbing down bikes for people that can't/shouldn't ride anyway. This is way off base. When I first got mt 990 with ABS I thought I didn't want it and read up on how to turn it off. But after riding with it on the street I was really impressed with how hard I could brake without worrying about locking the front wheel. This said I really hate that I could not lock the rear wheel off road. My natural riding style is to slide the rear a little into turns going down hill. Not being able to do this was not fun on my first ride down a long steep down hill. I would like to be able to have the ABS on the front only with the rear with normal braking.

Covered in Dust

It would be nice for dualsport if they would add a switch so you could use all, just front, or off.

Covered in Dust

It would be nice for dualsport if they would add a switch so you could use all, just front, or off.

I agree with both of you. However moto-ABS works by measuring the speed of both wheels (like car traction control and ABS) to know when to engage. The concept is great for rain riding which is the only time I use it on the GSA; Everyone knows I love riding in the rain and the ABS never engages, it is just a safety blanket to me.

In my sparse amounts of spare time I have been looking at the BMW schematics and trying to get all the ABS programming info possible to see if there if there is a way to keep the ABS for the front wheel but to disengage it from the rear wheel while still monitoring rear wheel speed. On the Ride I did this spring I failed to turn off the ABS one time... the consequences would have been very bad.

Though I am nowhere near the riding ability of CiD my days racing SBK taught me that you really do steer with the rear wheel and I try to get the rear end out on downhill corners also, on the BMW this would be a great ability to have, and with any luck I will be able to hack the ECU and do some testing.