pyro

Need help with sheered bolt removal

Hi all. Is there anyone around the Carlsbad area with some reverse threaded drill bits and/or bolt extractor easy-out etc.? I need some help getting this sheered footpeg bolt out of there. At that point I think I can just slap in some new hardned bolts and be done with it. It should take only a few minutes, but I don't have the drill bits. If anyone can help me out with this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

-troy

IMG_2869.jpg

I got everything you need at work. So it will be Monday nite at the earlyest before you can get your hands on it.

I got everything you need at work. So it will be Monday nite at the earlyest before you can get your hands on it.

Nice, thanks brother. Now I can't wait so I just went and got the bolts, a drill bit and extractor for $10. I just need to find my darn extension cords! I think they are in storage 8-|.

Guest Crusty

If you need anything else, I am home from my ride.

Thanks guys. Well I got the bolt extracted but now it seems I'm completely screwed (lol?). Ya, well the actual bracket that is welded to the frame seems to be missing the nut that is suppost to be welded on the other side for the peg bolt to screw in to. I guess I need a KLR engineer with a welder and some experience with this problem. I think I remember some KLR guys welding new plates on to the brackets to strengthen the whole setup or something like that. It looks like its time to try googling some stuff and get in touch with Eagle Mike. Anyone has any experience with this one or have any ideas? Thanks again.

fried_peg_mount3.jpg

fried_peg_mount2.jpg

fried_peg_mount1.jpg

Is there no way to just put a nut back there without having to weld it on?

There's no space or room to get behind the thing. There's small gaps on the sides but nowhere near enough room to get a nut in or out. Thats whats wierd, where did the orginal nut go? It must be still in there I guess but I don't see it. Either way, there's no space to manuver anything around in there anyway. I don't know if that means I have to cut off the whole bracket and reweld it or what . . .

There may not been a nut if the hole is threaded.

I hear ya brother, but look in the pictures. Its the one on the left. No threads and not as deep so something must be missing i think.

You could enlarge the hole and weld another nut into the enlarged hole from the outside. Chamfer the outside/peg side circumference of the nut to allow more room for weld material. Once welded, grind/sand the weld smooth and repaint it. The bracket appears to be thick enough to handle the heat needed to do the welding. Done properly, it would be a heck of alot stronger than the single bolt set-up that you had for for a while.

1 nut

1 drill bit (sized to max diameter of nut)

1 MIG or TIG welder (or a friend that has one)

1 angle grinder

1 rattle can of silver paint

If you were in Ramona, I'd help you out.

Mike

I see fresh metal in the right and rust in the left. Something is not adding up.

Damn your right . . . It seems the threads or nut or whatever was never there or has been gone for a long time. When I got the bike it had a wierd tack weld on one of the bolts there. I noticed it because I wanted to ditch the center stand, but couldn't because of that. I was told it was a field repair that happened in death valley. These guys bring welders and stuff to death valley. They don't screw around when it comes to preparedness.

Anyways it seems I was effectively on 1 bolt the whole time. No wonder it snapped. I do know from experience with my green KLR that those bolts are weak from the factory, because I snapped them before when it was set up correctly (factory spec).

Mike

Thanks Mike. If I completely crap out on other options, can I take you up on that at a later date?

Maybe this is the answer, but I'll need and expert machinest now.

KLR Footpeg Strengthening link

Dude, that looks like the ticket right there. Shouldn't need a machinist, just someone with a grinder, welder, and a drill... Although, for me, I'd probably keep w/ the metric bolts instead of switching to a standard 3/8 bolt instead... just to keep w/ minimizing tools and all..

Mike

Thanks Mike. If I completely crap out on other options, can I take you up on that at a later date?

Let me know, any week night works.

email me if you want to do it: mjsutter@cox.net

Pryo,

Mike is having a tech day at the shop next weekend o n 15 oct. He had a mig welder there at the last tech day. The upgraded foot pegs mounts would be pretty easy. I think I might have some flat stock here at the house. I will be at the tech day next weekend. If worse comes to worse I have the equipment needed to do this job including a mig welder.

Pryo,

Mike is having a tech day at the shop next weekend o n 15 oct. He had a mig welder there at the last tech day. The upgraded foot pegs mounts would be pretty easy. I think I might have some flat stock here at the house. I will be at the tech day next weekend. If worse comes to worse I have the equipment needed to do this job including a mig welder.

YES! I forgot about that. I'll be there for the tech day next saturday for sure. If you have some flat stock can you bring it? I'll touch base with Eagle Mike tomorrow to fill him in and see about the welder. Thanks brother I'll see you down there saturday.

Take it back to the guy who sold you the bike and tell him to fix it

:crazy::heh::big_boss::o:axehead::dead:

:crazy::heh::big_boss::o:axehead::dead:

Something fishy about that bike...