Riggerdan

Traveling with a firearm

Hi

I was trying to find some posts in the forums that contained this kind of information, and seemed to be a bit unsuccessful

Taking a road trip on the motorcycle with a very optimistic long range destination / Glacier Park

I would like to think I have survived all these years on good karma, though considering a firearm due to the vulnerability of traveling alone in remote areas....

camping and traveling is nothing new to me, though doing it dual sport style will be a first - of this magnitude

Not entirely set on it, but has been on my mind the last few days

Looking for some input / advice

In an auto, the ammo has to be locked in the glove box and the gun has to be in a locked case in the trunk. No ammo can be in the firearm or in clips or magazines in the same case or in the same storage area as the firearm.

I don't know what you will do on a bike, unless you carry the firearm in one locked pannier and the ammunition in the other.

If nobody sees it, then they don't know about it.

But then again, you can obey the law...then you might as well leave it at home.

If nobody sees it, then they don't know about it.

But then again, you can obey the law...then you might as well leave it at home.

True....just sayin' what the laws entail. As long as nobody has any reason to search you or your vehicle there wouldn't be a problem. If somebody does, there could be a fairly large problem. Many years ago, I would travel with a loaded handgun under the seat of my car when I went on long distance trips. That is the only reason I would be taking a firearm with me, for self protection.

The laws of California also state that your firearms have to be locked in a gun safe, unloaded and with the trigger lock in place. That wouldn't do anybody much good (besides the burglars)in case of a breakin. :blink:

True....just sayin' what the laws entail. As long as nobody has any reason to search you or your vehicle there wouldn't be a problem. If somebody does, there could be a fairly large problem. Many years ago, I would travel with a loaded handgun under the seat of my car when I went on long distance trips. That is the only reason I would be taking a firearm with me, for self protection.

The laws of California also state that your firearms have to be locked in a gun safe, unloaded and with the trigger lock in place. That wouldn't do anybody much good (besides the burglars)in case of a breakin. :blink:

Agreed.

Agreed.

Ditto, your safety comes first. This day and age you just never know what wacko is out on the loose. "Most" LEO would understand your situation...

I would take one myself.

My 2c.

This issue has been covered fairly extensively on ADV; you might want to check out those threads.

A fanny pack will do well. Comfortable, and you can have your wallet and other important documents up front with you. That's how I travel, so it's really no biggie.

Crossing borders can cause some grief, though, so have plans in case you decide to run into canada while you're up there. Good luck.

Hi

I was trying to find some posts in the forums that contained this kind of information, and seemed to be a bit unsuccessful

Taking a road trip on the motorcycle with a very optimistic long range destination / Glacier Park

I would like to think I have survived all these years on good karma, though considering a firearm due to the vulnerability of traveling alone in remote areas....

camping and traveling is nothing new to me, though doing it dual sport style will be a first - of this magnitude

Not entirely set on it, but has been on my mind the last few days

Looking for some input / advice

There is some bad gouge already in this thread. Do your research, and if you do travel with a firearm print out some copies of the pertinent CA laws because I guarantee the police won't know all of them.

Join CalGuns @ www.calguns.net and become an informed California gun owner.

There is no law against transporting a firearm on a motorcycle, if you are doing it properly. I take my pistols to the range quite often on my motorcycle.

There is no law against transporting a firearm on a motorcycle, if you are doing it properly. I take my pistols to the range quite often on my motorcycle.

I think we all know that....I do believe the discussion here is more about travelling and having it ready for self-defense if necessary.

There is some bad gouge already in this thread.

Did not mean for this to become a heated debate, just vision myself hanging out in my tent and hearing some unruly noises or on some predators menu..

Obviously done correctly there should be no issues

As for being informed, I feel I am as informed as the average safety conscious firearm owner should be,

- just thought I would seek some advice from people that have been doing a lot longer then me...

Thanks for your input

Did not mean for this to become a heated debate, just vision myself hanging out in my tent and hearing some unruly noises or on some predators menu..

As for being informed, I feel I am as informed as the average safety conscious firearm owner should be,

- just thought I would seek some advice from people that have been doing a lot longer then me...

Thanks for your input

I don't think it became "heated debate", just varying points and opinions.

Glad you brought it up.

I've carried my shotgun on my bike a number of times going trap shooting. It's always in a case strapped to the back of the bike with a couple of hundred shell next to it. No problems ever. Once in my truck I went thru a check point, same thing going trap shooting, shotgun in case on back seat with about 500 rounds and got a lot of grief about why I was carrying so much ammo.

Covered

Heated debate? Guns? Well, that's unusual. Maybe we can add peforming abortions and providing liquor to minors. You know, to keep the conversation light.

To make things easy, I'd suggest becoming a LEO--preferably a Fed--prior to embarking on your ride.

Hey, do your research and carry what you feel comfortable with--be it a knife, bear spray (highly recommended for all types of pesky varmits, like OMGs) or a big ol' beautiful .357.

There is some bad gouge already in this thread.

Thanks for your input

may I ask a relevant question?

what is "gouge"?

I mean... I know what it is to "gouge" somebody's eye out, but the context has me stymied, flumoxed, and perplexed... "some bad gouge in this thread"

that being said- to all newcomers... this is not at all heated, and very few discussion DO get heated around here. If it LOOKS like it is getting heated, it is probably just friends bustin' balls

Once in my truck I went thru a check point, same thing going trap shooting, shotgun in case on back seat with about 500 rounds and got a lot of grief about why I was carrying so much ammo.

Long guns are a different story in CA. They aren't concealable so they don't have to be locked when in a car!

In an auto, the ammo has to be locked in the glove box and the gun has to be in a locked case in the trunk. No ammo can be in the firearm or in clips or magazines in the same case or in the same storage area as the firearm.

Actually the above is incorrect. The gun can have ammo with it just not loaded (loaded meaning no round in chamber or mag in the gun etc)...

At the end of the day, the gun can be with a loaded mag they just have to be in a locked container (glove box is not acceptable in CA)

As stated above, join www.calguns.net and read up. It is a GREAT resource!

Actually the above is incorrect. The gun can have ammo with it just not loaded (loaded meaning no round in chamber or mag in the gun etc)...

At the end of the day, the gun can be with a loaded mag they just have to be in a locked container (glove box is not acceptable in CA)

Hmmm...the laws must have changed since the 11 years that I sold firearms and was a handgun safety instructor. I can scarcely believe that they got more lenient.

what is "gouge"?

I mean... I know what it is to "gouge" somebody's eye out, but the context has me stymied, flumoxed, and perplexed... "some bad gouge in this thread"

that being said- to all newcomers... this is not at all heated, and very few discussion DO get heated around here. If it LOOKS like it is getting heated, it is probably just friends bustin' balls

Maybe it's a military term, but "bad gouge" means incorrect information.

Now that we're talking about guns, who is up for a shoot and scoot?

Hmmm...the laws must have changed since the 11 years that I sold firearms and was a handgun safety instructor. I can scarcely believe that they got more lenient.

Its CA! Who really knows. But yeah, Calguns.net is awesome!

Here is the Cal Gun Foundation wiki:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transporting

And a couple Cal Gun threads:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-441062.html

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-232406.html

Here is a link to the CHP website as well

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html#05

I was thinking the same thing.

From an online dictionary: gouge (Definition)

verb American

to intimidate, damage, do down. A business term of the 1980s.

A business term of the '80's! Yikes. What's up with that?

I agree with your term: We're just providing information, assistance to our fellow riders, as it were. That and bustin' yer chops.

what is "gouge"?

In talking to a couple of LEOs recently, they both said the same thing on moto travel with weapon: Keep ammo and firearm separated as much as possible.

Of course, an unloaded gun is just a poorly shaped rock.

I transported my .357 this morning in one saddlebag and Ammo in the other bag to work. A CHP officer is meeting me here at the office to buy it.

I do what Chris " Covered in Dust " does all the time. When my kids dont go shooting with me and I am going alone I shoot Trap & Skeet Wednesday eves at Lake Wolford Escondido Fish & Game. I strap my 12 Guage over/under to the forks and handlebars and wear my shooting vest with 100 Rounds in it. Thats enough for 4 seperate rounds of Trap shooting.

A Escondido Cop once asked me coming down Valley Pkwy if that was a Pool Cue in a case and I said laughing ya sure. He said what is it really. I told him the truth that I was just returning from a evening of Trap Shooting and it was a 12 Guage. He said have a nice evening. All this happened at a red light.

Of course, an unloaded gun is just a poorly shaped rock.

That is why we used to practice loading weapons blind folded. I can't throw bullets as fast as a poorly shaped rock. You would be suprised how fast you can lock and load or vice versa. :ph34r: