DigDug

DigDug Racing in the Baja 500 - Go Get 'Em !

bummer on the mechanical issues, and you guys must've rocked it.....congrats on what you did complete...that's awesome....

Doug,

How did you find the Red Bike as compared to your Orange?

Congratulations!

I still haven't downloaded my camera, but here are a couple pictures from the pros:

scan0009ji.jpg

scan0010n.jpg

Doug,

Congratulations!

It was a lot of fun. The motor was really nice. Dan had it ported and installed a 450R cam, so it's revs like nothing out there. Straight line or sand washes are a blast. A little twist of the wrist and the front will loft over stuff easily. Not as much torque as my 450 (even before the 540 kit), so I had to break myself of my short-shifting habit. More difficult to control in the technical stuff a gear higher (yes, there were quite a few rocky stretches in my section) but once it revs, it revs hard!

I wasn't too impressed with the suspension. I rode two different 450Xs down there and both felt like they were fighting me back. It might have just been setup (the race bike was seriously lacking on rebound damping, but the first time I rode it was when I got on the bike for my section - and I wasn't going to stop to mess with it. So I just dealt with the back bucking and rode carefully) or the fact that I'm used to my KTM and know exactly how it's going to react.

Doug,

Yeah, both those photos have your nose down. Either you are chopping the throttle, NOT, or the rear is literally kicking you in the ....

Love the White Suit.

Guest Crusty

Doug,

Yeah, both those photos have your nose down. Either you are chopping the throttle, NOT, or the rear is literally kicking you in the ....

Love the White Suit.

Looks like it's mostly because he was sitting.

It causes the suspension to compress more.

At the track we" seat bounce" all the time, to get more air-distance when, hitting a jump out of a corner.

When done at speed it is really easy to endo.

Looks like it's mostly because he was sitting.

It causes the suspension to compress more.

At the track we" seat bounce" all the time, to get more air-distance when, hitting a jump out of a corner.

When done at speed it is really easy to endo.

No, I'm off the seat, but staying low and "crouched". After almost getting thrown over the bars for the entire section, I started to take the hits a little differently - staying low and back on the bike and hitting the bumps a little less aggressively. That "bucking" wasn't a problem with the suspension itself, but rather with the setup. None of us rode the race bike down there the week prior to the race. Between time constraints and our pre-running schedule, we just didn't have time. I wasn't the only one to notice it on race day - It just needed more rebound damping dialed in is all.

Fun bike for sure, just a different tool for a different job - that's why they run the snot out of them in Baja and they're always winning, but you don't see as many in the technical European enduros. I definitely wouldn't want to run one of the two I rode down there in the Big Bear run for example. Just a different type of bike for a different type of terrain.

Hah! I knew it wasn't me! My X just sucks! I just have to go orange!

Then I can live up to my potential to be average.

Grin,

Guest Crusty

Doug,

Congratulations!

How did you find the 450X as compared to your XR 650L

NOTHING compares to the mighty XR-650L!!!

Guest Crusty

NOTHING compares to the mighty XR-650L!!!

I didn't expect it to be as dependable, or to be as cheap to ride,

but how would you compare the handling and power.

How much better of a bike would it be at Big Bear.

Or faster at the Desert Dash.

My 680L was a real hand full when pre running the San Felipe 250,

with all the soft sand and 30 miles of 3' whoops.

how much better would a 450X be for pre running in Baja.

Please give me a good reason to get one.

I need something in writing to show my wife.

Thank's Craig.

Thank's Craig.

Totally different bike. It's race ready bike versus a dual sport bike. More power, 100 lbs lighter, much better suspension, but yes - more maintenance and more expensive. No contest in the sand and whoops, a those 100 lbs will wear you out much quicker. You're a good rider and I've seen you make that L dance, but I can pretty much guarantee you'll have more fun and be a lot less worn out at the end of the day riding an X.

The only problem is that you can't plate one in California - legally.

Fun bike all around, I might be riding one now if it weren't for the plate thing.

Guest Crusty

Thank's Craig.

Totally different bike. It's race ready bike versus a dual sport bike. More power, 100 lbs lighter, much better suspension, but yes - more maintenance and more expensive. No contest in the sand and whoops, a those 100 lbs will wear you out much quicker. You're a good rider and I've seen you make that L dance, but I can pretty much guarantee you'll have more fun and be a lot less worn out at the end of the day riding an X.

The only problem is that you can't plate one in California - legally.

Fun bike all around, I might be riding one now if it weren't for the plate thing.

Thank's Doug.

The search is on for a good deal.

Dear forum members, please remember that this is a general forum that is for family oriented sports and can be seen by EVERYBODY, including children, and so we ask that you keep questionable, offensive or otherwise inappropriate material, written or images off our forum. Thank you.

Guest Crusty

I call dibs on the 680L!

Not selling it. I don't plan to plate the450 X either. Like Doug says, it"s a race bike

I plan to ride it at Pala on the vet track, and lots of green sticker places, like Bajacoolio.gif

I want a bike that I could Pre run the Score race courses on.

On my 680L was hard to keep up with john on the KTM 505 in the deep sand and whoops of the San Felipe 250.

The other problem is that Baja Pits, doesn't have pre mix for my 250.