Greenhorn

Jucumba - Boulevard - In Ko Pa - Sat Morning 10/3/2015

Parked and unloaded at the Acorn at about 7:30am.

Down old highway 80 to Live Oak Springs, went through to the MX track. Looked like it was just opening, thought about asking to ride through the non track areas, but there were a few trucks in line and it kind of looked like what you could see.

Down through Boulevard and then out to Lark Canyon. Couple people there, one truck at each end, a few trucks coming in when I was leaving. Little patches of sand on the way in and way out were kind funny.

Next I continued on through by Jacumba out to In-Ko-Pa. Rode to the end of In-Ko-Pa Rd as that is where a book said to look for rocks and minerals. Checked it out a bit but decided I probably should revisit a map to understand where I might be going. Turns out this area might be private property.

Rode up to the Desert Lookout Tower, I like the place. I talked with the guy that owns it, interesting guy. He was who told me the end of the road might be private property, owned by a sheriff? He said there was some nice places on the other side of the street, but the roads were a little tough. Given my bike is kind of old (83 XT 550), maybe tackling that riding with someone might be best.Moon Valley?

Headed back west and stopped at the Jacumba Fall Festival / Swap Meet and met 350Thumper, he had a spatula and was Bbq'ing hambergers and hot dogs. BS'ed for a few minutes, had a hot dog, BS'ed a little more then had to get going. It was nice to met 350Thumper, sounds like he knows a lot about riding out there and Corral Canyon.

Headed back to the Acorn, loaded up and headed home about 11:30am. Looking forward to riding out there again, I think there is still a lot to ride and see. I had a really nice morning riding. :)

Sounds like a nice Saturday morning ride. I haven't ridden around Jacumba for a few years but it is a nice area to ride.

Loaded up at the acorn?

That sounds like something I would do.

I always get loaded up when I'm out riding around solo.

I read there could be Quartz and Feldspar a few ridges back from the end of In-Ko-Pa road. I talked to the guy that owns the Dersert View Tower and he said it was private property back there. He did say there was quartz down one of the road on the other side of the freeway. I also read maybe garnet, mica... I's be happy to find anything of modest interest. Just started to start looking, few place down by Blythe I'd like to go to once it cools down.

Any suggestions?

Greenhorn, I spotted what I believe is Feldspar about half way up Bear valley road out of Buchman Springs. I have been looking for an area with Quartz Crystals. Still no luck with that.

Good luck and let me know if you find anything. I love rock hounding.

I know nothing about rock hounding but am interested.

I normally bring home a rock for my lady.

No pun intended .

Let's get a ride going,Greenhorn .

I will definitely showbyou all the dirt routes around Jacumba. Octillo too,

I go to CC every week but still don't know all the trails above Kernan

This is taken from the trail that heads up from in ko pah to smugglers or moon valley. There is a comm tower of some kind up there. I live in Ocotillo, let me know when you decide to head that way again!

post-15946-0-76338500-1445984999_thumb.j

post-15946-0-28654900-1445985051_thumb.j