PbdBlue

Trail Cutting at the Desert Dash

All these points were covered on the Ride Info Sheet given out in the rider packets with the rollcharts and maps.

Even all the volunteers should've gotten this packet, and EVERYONE needs to read the entire info sheet in the packet, because there is important info on that sheet !

Perhaps a way to get folks to pay greater attention would be to highlight some items on the ride registration paperwork with boxes to initial in addition to their signature at the bottom of the page?

You could even "gate" the electronic registration process such that they can't pass through to registration until they check off that they've read the riders intructions......whether that's a summary check off or checking off a few specific paragraphs in addition to summary level (that's not to say many won't just check them off blindly without reading them.....but you might reach a few that way)

And I'd STILL put all that stuff in the riders instruction package too, but we might have slightly better odds of riders actually reading the critical instructions if they have to initial next to a few paragraphs, or pass through a few electronic gates, indicating that they have read and understand what's at stake for ALL OF US if we don't maintain a certain standard of conduct???

Just a thought....

That's a good idea, Chris.

When we sent out confirmation e-mails for the Dash, we mentioned a few key points in those e-mails, one being the cutting corners thing, and we mentioned to Please Read the Ride Info Sheets when they get their packets.

Disseminating the information out to unknowing riders is key to success, in my opinion.

... how that information gets out, can come in many flavors. However, it's apparent that it can't be all put on a sheet of paper or two... and who'd read through it all? Not everyone. I think knowledge sharing with these forums, and in person conversations (camp fire talk) is crucial. (Speaking for myself): The more I'm involved with "Dual sporting", the more I can see through my desert dusted brain and relate to what's being conveyed. But, ignorance is such an easy play in this kind of thing.... Ever hear the comment; "What you don't know, you don't know"?? I use it often. As a rider, I can say that NOT knowing is an easy cop out. Even if it's not the responsible type comment, there are non-responsible type riders. I mean, come on... we are motorcycle riders (and some have that rebel image to uphold - laugh with me on this one)... However, as an organizer, putting it on reading material or posting it... isn't the only answer. It needs to be put out there in every single format possible. ONE or TWO formats is a lose lose for everyone.

I personally think a mandatory rider meeting is helpful to summarize what's been discussed, posted, and written.

I know it has for my destination rides where there's concern, questions, or riders plagued with foggy understanding of MY ideas and wishes. In fact, no matter how much information I put out there... it seems there's always a few who dont' "get it" and only do so, when we have that pre-ride meeting. So if it helps one, or a dozen... it could be most beneficial. And sure, I use the word mandatory losely... because even then, not everyone will make it... or be able to make it.

What I know now, mostly from discussions here and in person (with fair and knowledgeable/sharing individuals)... is all so invaluable.

From Kiethco at D37 AMA Dualsport.....

You see a guy wringing the throttle at 6:00 a.m. in the parking lot, you owe it to everyone to say something.

Same thing on the trail, you've got to say something. I've caught up to countless riders and pointed out we have to stay on the trail or road. I usually get " I was just looking for a clean line" or "it was too sandy". Cutting a corner is ridiculous! Really! You drove all the way out to do a Dualsport ride and you're in too much of a hurry to square off a corner???????? Stop it. Tell the guy you see to stop it.

It seems most of my time lately is going to try to keep lands open and riding less. Randy worked his butt off to bring this ride to our area. This type of behavior makes his job harder and more expensive. We must stay on the route, please. As Paul said, the offenders probably dont read this, but peer pressure changed the loud pipes (most of them) and it can work here too.

You may have noticed a lot of new fences going up in the Jawbone and ridgecrest area. Gearheart, Dave and I were even caught behind one last month. These are a response to the Greens that wanted to close these areas. The routes were designated open or closed 30 years ago but never enforced. The fences were a response to the alternative of closing the areas completely. We're an easy target. The argument goes like this: "You Honor, they've been given a chance to ride the designated trails but the evidence clearly shows they refuse to stay on the designated trails". I see from the evidence you're correct Mr Greenie Attorney, we'll have to close the entire area to motorized recreation". It's happening TODAY!

Dualsport is the shining example of what responsible motorized recreation can be. I know, I sound like a p#@*y. I've been called an butt kisser, accused of trying to sing kumbuya with the greens, a flaming liberal and this is from the people I thought were friends on this message board.

But the harsh cold reality of motorized recreation is people don't like us, land owners, farmers and ranchers, retired desert people, environmentalists and the list goes on and on. The politicians don't think we're organized enough to deliver the votes to make them see things our way. We have to change the way we think and ride and even communicate with those that oppose us. This is a public message board. EVERYONE reads these threads. From the Deputy Director of OHV to the local BLM Ranger. When people come on these boards and spout off about the "BLM Nazi's" (must we) or poor performing Appointees it makes the job harder for us. It costs you nothing to show a little support or even gratitude for those folks as well.

We have a chance with Dualsport to make a difference. Our clubs and promoters in D-37 are highly visible and held to a high standard. The LA-B-to-V event is well known from here to D.C. where it is in fact often used as an example of what can be accomplished. There's 28 years of action by dedicated people making this happen. Year after year after year. I know of examples of the guys going out after a ride or before to bury markers in washes, regrade a trail that was damaged by ruts during rainfall and much more. We have to take advantage of our hard earned respect and build on it, now more than ever.

Do we really need a riders meeting to tell people to stay on the trail? Do we need to say, please, don't wheelie after gas down main street? Help us out, tell the guy in the parking lot, the guy rounding off corners. Do it at a gas stop, lunch or when you see it happening. Jerry Counts threw his hands up at his GPS class Tuesday night and flat out said, "we're gonna lose it all". I hope he's wrong, he's never been wrong before, but there's a first time for everything we hope!

I can't forget Steve Buschemi's line in that movie with Bruce Willis where the meteor is gonna collide with Earth. He says, "sometimes I wish I didn't know what I know. The promoters and club guys know where we're heading.

Did anyone go out and help Randy groom corners after the ride? He was out there covering his, yours, and my butt for the future. Have a little respect for the thousands of man hours that go into these rides year after year and future events that wil be possible because someone decided to put the work in and for the love of the sport puts on a class event.

A lot has changed in the past year. But the fact of the matter is you can plop down 75 bucks tomorrow and go do a world class event with no concern if a trail is open, closed or gone forever. We still have Promoters and Clubs kicking a@$ to make this a reality. We'll continue in the future. All we ask is you follow the rules, use common courtesy in town and where prudent.

Sorry for the rant but I missed last weekend's ride and this one. My Dualsport work to ride ratio is about 30 hours to 1 lately. I'm a little cranky, especially knowing Randy and how hard he works.

We will try the Pre-Ride Meeting next year, got ideas how to do it from D37 Forum.

We will try the Pre-Ride Meeting next year, got ideas how to do it from D37 Forum.

Good to hear. I know it's a PITA, and ONE MORE THING to do... but, I honestly believe it'll help.

... not everyone reads email. Or is on the forum. Or can comprehend plain written English (oops, did I just say that out loud?!).

Now, can you have a Spanish version, a Japanese version, a French version, a pig-latin version.... or shall I just press 1 for English?? LOL!!! :heh:

(sorry Randy, I had to ... I'm so tired of those 800 calls where I don't hear a clear English speaking person trying to sell me something, or be my customer support link)

And my offer will always stand; If I can be of help next year, I'd be glad to do so. Whatever task that makes the event even more a success, I'm all for!! Even if it's post event, or taking out the trash, or cleaning toilets.... oh, well... thats going a bit far...

[disclaimer]

Nothing personal against anyone with my post, take this in a generic sense, please!

[/disclaimer]

Ok, so how many people that cut the corners KNEW they weren't supposed to and did anyways? 9 out of 10 would be my guess. Almost every rider knows they're supposed to stay on the trails when they're not in an open area! Just because the guy ahead of you did it, doesn't make it right for you to do it too.

This seems to come up every year, and is mentioned by the rangers every year too.

[soapbox]

Those of you who did it, read the instructions, follow them, be courteous and stop screwing it up for everyone else and making Randy's after ride experience a headache to deal with!

[/soapbox]

One thing I found interesting was that, besides in the washes, those side trails hang around A LONG TIME. I'd have thought that all that rain out there would have cleaned up many of those, but they didn't. I was one of the first down many of the trails and was surprised (again, other than in the washes), at how little the rain had done to "wash away" stray tracks. I see why the park wants us to stick to the established two tracks now.

I have seen, in my short 3 or 4 years of riding in southern California, trails closed due to irresponsible actions of offroaders, and it pisses me off!

Maybe would should set up a volunteer trip in the week after the dash to do damage control and clean up. I am sure the rangers would love it if we made that extra effort.

Maybe would should set up a volunteer trip in the week after the dash to do damage control and clean up. I am sure the rangers would love it if we made that extra effort.

Good idea.

I stayed an extra day due to the holiday, and would have been happy to "place rocks" as Randy mentioned at some of the cutoff entrances to detour riders.

... maybe next year I can stay an extra two days, and do more than just "place rocks".

Cool...after the rains this weekend, let's get out there and ride to find some of the cutoffs and block them off.

Great idea !

Cool...after the rains this weekend, let's get out there and ride to find some of the cutoffs and block them off.

Great idea !

I'll be out there next weekend, be happy to help.

One spot I noticed was where Ella (sp?) Wash forked right and a lot of folks went left (like me). Some folks cut straight across instead of doubling back to the fork.

Great idea !

Let me know.

... I could use a carpool. ;)